cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Manual update or no

Highlighted
Journeyman

Manual update or no

I had to replace my Epic 4g and the new one has GB .... If this phone has not recieved the OTA update should i do it Manually ? or is there added risks to do that ?

4 REPLIES 4
Highlighted
Journeyman

It's the EXACT same update as the OTA update. The only difference is how it is installed on your phone -manually or over the air.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Will it effect my phone any if i do it manually then it gets the OTA later ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

No... Like I said, it's the EXACT same update...

Highlighted

I did the manual update - you need to follow the instructions just like it says (I did the QBKING77 video, etc). I had a Sprint Admin mention that one should do the OTA but I disagree with that. This is a "major" update and to trust the airwaves with glitches that can happen??? The issues that have been reported with ICS are not related to one update avenue vs another

I have read in other discussions that a factory reset is recommended - I would do that before the update then do the update. It only seems right as you want to clear out the old before installing the new (one does that with Windows update to newer versions). Just remember that all of your apps, ringtones, notifications may not work in ICS - your settings will change (need to be redone), make sure contacts are backed up and that you don't have anything on the "internal" sd card that you want to save. I also suggest that you search the forums for what settings to have your phone at for battery life etc. There are other settings but the one below is missed by most people so do this right away. Just know WiFi on is a battery killer (and I used it on GB to prevent battery drain - go figure)

• WiFi is a known issue to drain battery when on (go to Menu-Settings-WiFi-hold the WiFi to get to the next screen - hold menu-advanced - switch it to "never" when sleeping

Good luck

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat