Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My FIX for the ICS Update Problems!

Highlighted
Journeyman

My FIX for the ICS Update Problems!

Hi ALL,

I can't say this will work for everyone but is did for me.

Background:

I received the update to ICS notice four days ago. The phone was fully charged so I just turned off Juice Defender and allowed the ICS update.

IMMEDIATELY thereafter the phone ran TERRIBLY HOT! The area beneath and around the camera was very HOT to the touch whenever the phone was awake/screen on. The battery dropped like a paralyzed falcon!  Before the update I had managed to tweak GB to give me 14-16 hours from 100% to about 20% with normal use (I don't play any games but do a number of calls, a lot of GMaps, a lot of SMS, and a decent amount of web surfing)  and  on slow days I could easily get 24hrs of batter life.

After the ICS update the phone went from 100% to 30% in FOUR HOURS! the battery use graph was a 45% downhill ski slope!!!! insane!

I checked all the usual suspects but nothing seemed out of place, then I noticed some really ODD items: the Power Saving Widget (the double row widget that allows control of WiFi, Bluetooth, etc) had been on one of my screens in the top row of icons. After the ICS update the top of the "new" version was OFF the top of the screen! Then when I was in my Google Voice inbox, a message box had the entire second line of text almost completely cut off and there was no way to read it.. I noticed other small "placement" glitches in other programs, like the browser on certain web pages that had looked fine under GB.... So

I looked around and saw that a number of folks said you needed to do a Factory Reset so, after quickly taking a screen shot of every homepage and every app drawer page, I did.

Voila! I now have everything working just fine. the phone does NOT get hot, the battery drain, while not yet quite back to what it was is FINE: I unplugged it at MIDNIGHT day before yesterday and finally plugged it in at 6PM yesterday evening when it dropped below 20% so that was 18 hours using a bit over  80% battery with light use!!! Happy Camper!

Also, ALL the screen glitches are gone! Of course, I had to reinstall all my apps (the ones I use at any rate> I kinda like facxtory resets cause it lets me get rid of all the apps I never use)

SO the FACTORY RESET worked perfectly for me!

My ICS complaints remaining are the lack of auto fit on pinch-zoom in the browser that was critically important to me since I read a LOT of news on my phone and the way ICS handles the Contact pictures in Portrait and the Wallpapers in Portrait.. Both work FINE in Landscape but NOT in Portrait! Stupid!

I guess the Google programmers decided that since ICS is for both phones and tablets, this new 4.X was not going to be designed for TABLETS first and foremost and to never be held in Portrait the way we do with a phone. Stupid…..

Your Mileage may vary!

Hope this helps someone!

Doug

6 REPLIES 6
Journeyman

Re: My FIX for the ICS Update Problems!

What happens if you leave wifi ON ? Whats your battery usage like?

Journeyman

the same as it was before the ICS update.. Not bad at all. But keep in mind that I never had the WiFi connectivity problems people talked about with the last GB update.

WiFi drains the battery a bit faster than leaving it on 3G. I only turn on the WiFi when I need to: IE reading the news, using the browser, DLing files etc.  Otherwise I switch it back to 3G. Before this update to ICS I was using an app that turned on WiFi and BT when I plugged in a power cord and turned them both off when I unplugged.

I'll turn on Wifi tomorrow (well, Sunday or Monday since I'm on the road all day tomorrow) and leave it on all day and post my results...

Journeyman

DouglasGP wrote:

the same as it was before the ICS update.. Not bad at all. But keep in mind that I never had the WiFi connectivity problems people talked about with the last GB update.

WiFi drains the battery a bit faster than leaving it on 3G. I only turn on the WiFi when I need to: IE reading the news, using the browser, DLing files etc.  Otherwise I switch it back to 3G. Before this update to ICS I was using an app that turned on WiFi and BT when I plugged in a power cord and turned them both off when I unplugged.

I'll turn on Wifi tomorrow (well, Sunday or Monday since I'm on the road all day tomorrow) and leave it on all day and post my results...

Well that could be just it. It has been reported in many threads that leaving your wifi radio on in theory should consume far less battery then with standard 3G and this was definately true in our GB based edition we had. So most of us that leave wifi on while at work or home or whatever really expierence the battery drop. I have seen other people post reports stating that this is due to the fact that wifi is effectively keeping the device awake and never letting it go into a deep sleep there for effectively draining your battery. This is one theory that has been repeated in many places. I am guessing you are getting deccent battery life because you toggle wifi only when you need it. Which you never had to do in the GB build.

Journeyman

could be but I don't think so, at least in my case....

In the middle of this stupid ICS thing I was having a discussion with the guys that wrote Handcent about the Popup from Handcent keeping the phone awake until the popup is cleared/closed so I was doing a test for them. When I wrote above that I unplugged the phone at midnight it was to test the Handcent popup too.

What happened was: WiFi was ON, BT OFF, and the arrival of an SMS with the associated popup caused a Wakelock at 8:30 AM that held the phone CONSTANTLY awake and draining the battery quite quickly until I cleared the popup two hours later. Better Battery Stats showed the timing exactly and shows the ONLY wakelock that lasted more than a few seconds was Handcent's popup, NOT the WiFi. WiFi was ON but the battery drain looked like the pre ICS with a very slight decline until the wakelock when it dropped precipitously...

The good news is that Handcent is going to create a fix for the wakelock! lol

I WILL do a thorough test and check the wakelock statius of the Wifi with Better Battery Stats on Sunday tho and see...

Journeyman

Full factory reset did NOT work for me. My battery life sucks. It's the wireless data. I turned off all wireless data (3G, Bluetooth, WiFi, 4G, GPS, etc) and did not use the phone at all (not even turning on the display). I lost 4% battery in 1 hour. OK, that's not bad, I can live with that. Turn on 3G, it starts to drop like a rock. I think it was hunting for signal. That's not even turning on any of the other services. I wish a factory fresh reset did work for me, but it did not. The phone was also noticeably warmer (not hot, but noticeable) with 3G on as well.

My guess is that there's a problem with the phone's software hunting for wireless signals. It's always trying to communicate, all the time.

Journeyman

[SOLVED] (for me anyways)

BATTERY DRAIN ON ICS

I also experienced a dramatic loss in battery life after the ICS update. After reading much online about others experiences and after doing some testing of my own I finally have my battery life back to normal... even better than before when I was on Gingerbread. However, it is somewhat of a pain to manage. I discovered 4 things affecting my battery life... WiFi, 4G Wimax, and 2 apps (Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker). I installed CPU Spy and BetterBatteryStats to moniter what was happening to my phone. In a nutshell WiFi and 4G Wimax keep the phone from going into deep sleep. So I disable WiFi and 4G and enable 3G when not using the phone. (Menu... Settings... toggle both WiFi & 4G off. Menu... Settings... More... Mobile Networks... check 3G Data) That would have been enough except for the 2 rogue apps I mention above. Juice Defender and InstaMapper GPS Tracker seem to enable WiFi and 4G even when I manually disable these. So I uninstalled these apps. (There may be other apps that you are using that also disregard your manual settings and enable WiFi and 4G.) When not on WiFi nor 4G and only using 3G, the phone does go into deep sleep and stay there until I wake it. So you can see it is manageable, but a pain or at least slight inconvenience. With moderate usage, including turning on/off my WiFi and 4G throughout the day, I have 20+ hours of usable battery life. I hope this helps.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat