cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G) will not get a GPS fix. Latest 4.1.2 software

Journeyman

My Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G) will not get a GPS fix. Latest 4.1.2 software

Why will my new Galaxy S2 (Epic 4G touch) not get a GPS lock?

I have researched the web and found that this is a big problem with lots of S2 phones.

Does SPRINT or Samsung have a fix for this or am I SOL on this?

Screenshot_2013-04-28-23-11-05.png

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Journeyman

Good luck even getting them to own up to it.  The only thing that I've found that can make it function properly even temporarily is rebooting the phone, and then keeping GPS running (not just enabled, but in use) continuously once it's turned back on.  If you let the phone sleep, it's a crapshoot if GPS will still work when you come back out of it.

In short, until they man up and fix it (which isn't likely) your only option for reliable GPS appears to be to reflash to ICS.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Before the update my phone was working like a champ, no problems at all.  Anyhow after the update my phone was acting possessed.  GPS didn't work - at all, nada, nothing.  The phone would lock up and pop up error messages constantly, and my voice calling was messed up.  I came to this forum and didn't find any solutions, so I started up Kies on my pc and tried to see if I can go back to ICS.  Didn't see an option for it so instead I hit "tools>firmware upgrade and initilization" and reapplied the same update.  Made sure to update to the latest version of Kies first though, and let it wipe everything on my phone.  Something must have worked because GPS worked perfect right away and everything in general has been working great for the past few days.  Using the same GPS Test app you showed in your screenshot I'm locking in on 9 signals from INDOORS (from the bottom floor of my two story home).  Either, something is going wrong when flashing the update and you just have to try until you get a good clean update, or they made some secret changes to the update recently, but I'm seeing night any day differences form my first attempt with the update when it was first released to the one I recently did. 

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat