cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

My ICS-updated phone is now working perfectly. Details inside.

Journeyman

My ICS-updated phone is now working perfectly. Details inside.

Like countless other people, for me the ICS update was more like a big downgrade, introducing lots of annoying glitches and—far more importantly—dramatically reducing my phone's battery life. I tried the various fixes posted around teh internets, including turning off WiFi while in sleep mode, turning off syncing, uninstalling certain applications, and otherwise downgrading my phone even further from where it was before the update. But none of these solutions actually did anything to address the core battery life issue, as no matter what I did, CPU Spy would still indicate that my phone was unable to enter a "deep sleep" state (thus, the processor was always active and draining my battery at an accelerated rate). And "Android OS" would still appear at the top of my battery stats page, with a 50% or more share of total power consumption (wildly in excess of what it was before the update).

Then I tried wiping the system cache partition and restarting the phone. Once I did this, battery consumption returned to what it was before the update, even with all my sync settings, WiFi settings, etc. put back to where I had them originally. CPU Spy reports that the phone now enters deep sleep as normal. Android OS has returned to being second on the battery stats list with between 15 and 20% of the total consumption. Battery drain with light use is back to where it was; I'm at around 60-70% after a long workday with moderate phone use, instead of getting a "low battery" warning before 5PM even after not touching the phone all day.

Not only this, but all the glitchy behavior that I'd occasionally been experiencing is gone as well. In short, my phone is working again.

To wipe the cache partition, I turned off the phone, did a battery pull, then started the phone back up while holding the power button and the "volume up" button at the same time until a little Android logo appeared on the screen, followed by a safe mode-type menu. I selected "Wipe cache partition" and the phone performed that action and rebooted itself. Short of having to re-enter a few passwords in various apps and having to re-add my home screen widgets, there were no negative consequences to doing the cache wipe.

Hopefully this process will work for other people who have been having battery life issues since the update. If not, I guess my phone is just weird or something. But in any case, it very definitely works right again.

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: My ICS-updated phone is now working perfectly. Details inside.

I tried this on my phone earlier because it's been draining down in about four hours flat for me since the update. I can happily say that it's been five hours since trying this and my battery is still at 95%! I think this did the trick for me! And I did not have to re-enter anything on mine or fix anything else. It all loaded back up right and my battery indicator finally shows lower percentages from the Android system like you describe.

Thank you very much for posting this!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Even though I replied to what you posted in a different post, I wanted to reply in your original post to keep it at the top of the list so more people will see it.

I did this last night and it did exactly what you said it would do.  It is after 6pm and my battery is at 86% after starting with a full charge this morning.  It would have been down well below that by now.  I also did not have to re-enter anything or add any widgets back and it seems to be responding faster now.  Maybe it's my imagination but I think it's faster now than before the update.

Thank You So Very Much careoshi     I am one happy camper!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did a Factory Data Reset on my phone previously (in the Android Settings Privacy menu), but still had bugs. Wifi would not reliably reconnect, my LED light did not work for email notification, and AndroidOS usage was very high.

About an hour ago I wiped the cache. Wifi hasn't lost its connection yet, and... my message LED was blinking a few minutes ago. Looks like things might be working... I'll have to see how the battery goes tomorrow, but this is an improvement. Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did this to my phone this morning and It worked beautifully!  My battery is no longer draining either.  So far I am thrilled with Ice Cream Sandwich, I have had no issues at all!  Thank you so much for this information 

Highlighted
Journeyman

How long does it take to clear out the cache? It's been like 5 mins and the android guy is still spinning.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Saw immediate change in glitchiness and it seems to be scrolling so much smoother....waiting to see what tomorrow brings for the battery drain....Thanks!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

So I just wanted to say that I did this and it did work. It actually made it worse. It made my screen orientation get stuck on landscape until turning off auto orientation. However, I put it back on the charger decided to just turn it off and then wipe cache again and it seems to be working. So my advice keep doing it til it works.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you careoshi for your post!  I just received the update today and noticed my battery power started to go south pretty quick.  So I followed your instructions and so far everything seems to be working like it's supposed to.  How were you able to figure out to perform the cache partition wipe?  For the most part I enjoy Sprint's service.  I just wish they would have some better update troubleshooting instructions like yours to help us Android Newbs out! Oh well, as it stands, this ICS update is seriously cool!  My wife received her update two weeks ago and I've been salivating at it ever since.  I would encourage anybody who is having battery problems, after updating, to try this method and see if it will work.  You lose nothing for trying!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yesterday

I followed the above steps exactly, step by step and let the battery drain all the way down, then charged the phone to 100% without using the phone during this time.

After the phone was 100% charged, and after very minimal use, it drained to 90% within 5-6 minutes.  Within 45 minutes, I was down to 68%.  And I was not ueven using the phone that much (much less than I normally use the phone).  I checked my e-mail (read 1-2), sent maybe 3-5 texts, and that little use left me with 68% after only 45 minutes.  And I had WiFi OFF.  4G was OFF.  GPS was OFF.  Screen Brightness was all the way down.

Now, when I started to write this, 60 minutes after disconnecting the phone from the charger, and having 100% on the battery, I was then down to 58%, in only 1 hour with minimal use. According to CPU Spy, the phone was in "deep sleep" 44% and in the 200 MHz range 24% and 1200 MHz 11% and 800 MHz range 18%...and I was not even using the phone.

Shouldn't it be in "deep sleep" 90+% of the time if it does not have Wifi on...doesn't have GPS on..doesn't have sync on...???

During the drafting of this short rant (and 5 minutes of phone complete inactivity), the battery went from 58% down to 51%.

Today

Before the ICS update, I could unplug my phone at home at 8:00 a.m. and by noon time I would still have 75%-80%.  And that was with I have the screen time out at 60 seconds, GPS ON, Sync ON, 4G OFF and WiFi OFF.  

Today, after ICS and Partition Cache Wipe, I unplugged at 8:00 a.m. and it is currently 12:04 p.m. and I am at 39%.   I have played 4 words on Words with Friends...have sent maybe 15 texts and have checked e-mail 2 times.  No Internet use and no phone calls. 

I now have the screen time out at 30 seconds, I have WiFi OFF.  I have GPS OFF.  I have 4G OFF.  I have Sync OFF ... and my battery is still draining at twice the rate.

For those of you that the partition cache wipe helped, that is great. Unfortunately for me, it did not.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same here. Samsung is replacing my battery and I did buy a new one. I get fine battery life while using bit lose a ton while doing nothing. There are definitely same major bugs and these were known prior to the release. Shame on Sprint and Samsung. And they continue to not listen or help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung and spring could still be working on it. I still haven't received the update .... I'm sure they are working on it. I guess it takes time for real time feedback..

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat