cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MyID GONE in GB27 Jelly Bean update! Bloatware unremovable! Any fixes?

Journeyman

MyID GONE in GB27 Jelly Bean update! Bloatware unremovable! Any fixes?

I updated my Epic 4G Touch to GB27 Jelly Bean 4.1 and the absence of MyID is TERRIBLE!

MyID was the 'stock' Android experience with no TouchWiz, and it is no longer available in GB27.

Is there any way to restore MyID? If not, then I would be much happier 'downgrading' to ICS to regain that feature.

Furthermore, the bloatware apps that were included in the ICS version (possibly even back on GB, it's been a long time) were easily removable. Now, NOVA 2 HD, NASCAR, and the handful of Sprint apps (Radio, TV, etc.) cannot be uninstalled. They can be disabled in Manage Applications, but this just hides them from the app drawer; they're still on the phone. Is there any way to completely uninstall the bloatware apps?

Every time I think Sprint is taking a step forward, they're really taking two steps back and making their network and service experience that much worse.

A regrettable execution of the long-awaited JB update. I am so disappointed. I'm pretty near my contract date, and this is the first time in many years that I've considered switching carriers.

8 REPLIES 8
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: MyID GONE in GB27 Jelly Bean update! Bloatware unremovable! Any fixes?

I would prefer the return of MyID as well. I greatly appreciate the Jelly Bean update, though.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My biggest problem with the update is that my home screen widgets don't work anymore.  I've added and deleted the digital clock widget about 20 times, and it keeps stopping.  Then when I try to re-add it, the phone thinks it's already there but nothing shows up!  Just now my Smooth Calendar widget stopped responding.  I've tried adjusting my Task Killer to make sure the apps are ignored, but that isn't having any effect.  Really don't want to do a factory reset but fear one is needed.  At first I thought it might be a Beautiful Widgets problem, but it's any clock widget.  I'm having the settings force close problem as well.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Do you mean the Sprint ID? Mine seems to be working fine, though I tried it once when using ICS and didn't like it so I didn't actually try to download ID packs since upgrading to JB

Highlighted
Journeyman

No, not the Sprint ID. The 'MyID' option was available without having to download or install a new ID.

The Sprint ID screenshots actually do show the old interface (which was stock Android), but I tried installing it and it is TouchWiz, just with a lot more bloatware and "apps" that are really just shortcuts to the Play Store for purchasing the apps. I had never tried it on ICS so I'm not sure if it ever was stock Android (albeit, I'm sure, with all the additional bloatware).

The Sprint ID is almost the complete opposite of MyID.

I'll say it again, Sprint really f*'d up with the implementation of JB on the E4GT.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for explaining the MyID thing. I never used it so sorry I can't help you there.  You are 100% right about the bloatware. I hate having all that space taken up by apps I will never use. At least I have a good size microSD card for storage!

Highlighted
Journeyman

@CCyanescens

Did you update your phone through Sprint or Samsung?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung, while connected to a computer (the EXE).

I couldn't get it over the air, and I wasn't sure how to do it through KIES.

I don't believe it would matter, though, because the E4GT is the Sprint-specific variant, so even the release through Samsung is going to have the carrier-specific bloatware. I didn't think installing any other version (e.g. International SGSII) would be possible, anyway, without possible problems or bricking.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't know if anyone is still interested, but the Android 4.4 KitKat launcher works perfectly with GB27.Simple to find, easy to install, "OK Google" and Google Now seem to work as designed.

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat