Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Phantom Home Button and Sleep of Death

Highlighted
Journeyman

Phantom Home Button and Sleep of Death

Hello,

I bought an Epic 4G Touch in December, and until recently its been a great device.  However, within the last month or so its started to enter the "Sleep of Death", and have phantom home button presses when I have low signal.  I did a bit of research and saw on these forums that the home button presses are a known issue, and that a repair to the phone should be offered without the $50 fee.  I went to my local Sprint store and was given the run around.  They claimed to have never heard of the issue, and that it is against policy to offer the repair without the fee.  Is the repair no longer covered?  Any help is appreciated.

9 REPLIES 9
Wizard

Re: Phantom Home Button and Sleep of Death

I had to play the game with this issue too. I called customer service and had the agent call the store I wanted to go. She told them this is an issue and is free. The thing about this is that its under a strange category, so agents are looking in the wrong place. It should be under a different category.

Also print the post showing this is a sprint employee posting. Ensure the store knows about it!

Journeyman

xarumitzu,

Thank you for posting on our Sprint community page and bringing your situation to our attention. I understand how vital cellular service is to our customers and that the cellphone is an intricate piece of our lives. I want to get a little more information on your device to grasp a better understanding of your situation. When you say it enters the "Sleep of Death", what behavior is the device exhibiting? In regards to the phantom home button, you say this has been happening recently when you have a low signal, have you been experiencing service issues recently? If so, please post the zip code and cross streets where you experience these issues along with the type of service issues.

Furthermore, when you brought your device to the Sprint repair center, did they run a diagnostic on your device, and do you currently have Total Equipment Protection insurance? If so, then to have them check your device there would be no charge. Without insurance coverage you would have to pay $50 for in store repairs. For more information please visit: http://bit.ly/1c4IrC5

I hope this information has been helpful; I look forward to your response and working with you further on this matter.

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

Wizard

Topsy_crets wrote:

xarumitzu,

Thank you for posting on our Sprint community page and bringing your situation to our attention. I understand how vital cellular service is to our customers and that the cellphone is an intricate piece of our lives. I want to get a little more information on your device to grasp a better understanding of your situation. When you say it enters the "Sleep of Death", what behavior is the device exhibiting? In regards to the phantom home button, you say this has been happening recently when you have a low signal, have you been experiencing service issues recently? If so, please post the zip code and cross streets where you experience these issues along with the type of service issues.

Furthermore, when you brought your device to the Sprint repair center, did they run a diagnostic on your device, and do you currently have Total Equipment Protection insurance? If so, then to have them check your device there would be no charge. Without insurance coverage you would have to pay $50 for in store repairs. For more information please visit: http://bit.ly/1c4IrC5

I hope this information has been helpful; I look forward to your response and working with you further on this matter.

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

You don't need TEP for Phantom Issue. Sprint has it as a confirmed issue and will either fix it or order (give) you a replacement phone - No fees if you don't have TEP. See Seems like someone else is controlling my phone

Journeyman

Thank you for the responses.  The "Sleep of Death" is something my phone does where it goes into some sort of limbo state between being off, and asleep.  It happens randomly after i hit the power button to put it to sleep.  Once it happens, the phone is completely un-responsive, and won't receive calls or text messages.  The battery will also drain like crazy when its in the SoD.  If you look at the battery stats screen, it looks something like (http://imgur.com/68Secjg) when it happens.  Some people have said it only happens when they're on WiFi, but it's happened to me on and off WiFi.

As for the Phantom Home Button, I haven't experienced any service problems.  Just the button presses when I have low signal.  I live and work in 49009.  As Seank_ said, I read on here that it was a known issue, and that there was a repair or replacement offered for free, not sure if that's changed.  I don't have TEP though.

EDIT: Fixed link.

Journeyman

xarumitzu,

Thank you for the response, after researching the issue I did find that the phantom menu button press is a device known issue. Seank_ was correct stating you can have the phone repaired or exchanged at no cost. In regards to your other issue, when you experience the "Sleep of Death", is your phone connected to its charger?  Does your device have the more recent update on it? Please let me know.

If you would like me to locate the closest Sprint repair center and schedule an appointment for you please let me know or feel free to private message me for the information. I look forward to your response.

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Sorry this reply took so long.  I was out of town.  The phone goes into the "Sleep of Death" when it's off the charger mostly.  I can't think of a time when it's done it while charging.

If possible, could I get an appointment at the store at 2044 W Centre, Portage, MI 49024?  I've been there a few times and I like the employees.

Journeyman

xarumitzu,

Sorry for the delayed response, I can definitely take care of that for you. I just want to confirm that before we go ahead and make any appointment, does your device have any physical damage? If not, then we can go ahead and take care of this for you. I just need a little more information in order to set up the appointment. I would need you to provide the best available times throughout the week, along with your full name, phone number, and email address. I ask that you do not post that information on this thread and instead please private message me that information. I look forward to your response and message.

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

I just wanted to post a follow up on here.  I ended up getting a replacement device as the store didn't have a replacement part in stock.  I picked up the replacement phone a few days ago, and it has been working perfectly.  I've used it at work, at my apartment, and at grocery stores and the capacitive buttons are perfectly fine.  I just wanted to thank you again.  I really appreciate all your help.

Journeyman

xarumitzu,

Fantastic, I'm so happy that everything worked out and that you're enjoying your replacement device. If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to post and let us know. We truly appreciate your business and thank you for being a valued Sprint customer. Have a Great Day!

Charles G.

Sprint Social Care Team 

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat