cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please allow silence of camera shutter

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please allow silence of camera shutter

To silence the camera is the only reason I would root my phone, and it is a very good reason. But would rather not have to.

It makes no sense to not allow shutter sound off. Some countries have laws against it, but the US does not, and if anyone was creepy enough to take surreptitious photos, they would root the phone and silence the camera anyway.

So please just offer the option openly for the sake of your customers.

20 REPLIES 20
Highlighted
Wizard

DAllan123,

The reason is to prevent people from taking pictures without others knowing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I guess they should make a sound when the video mode is on ! Remember the super 8 sound out of the camera ? LOL I have mixed emotions on the subject ! I didnt like the shutter noise either out of my camera ! But I can see the Creepers of the world getting away with the Stealth mode when girls walking down stairs etc etc. Would you want your Daughter or Wife on the web ?

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Dallen123L  If the reason is to prevent people from taking pictures without others knowing, then they have failed miserably.  This design "feature" doesn't prevent anyone from disconnecting the phone's speaker or rooting their phone and disabling the shutter sound.  All they have really succeeded in doing is making sure that only creepy people can use their phone to take pictures without others knowing.  The rest of us who aren't truly motivated to disable the shutter sound are left taking pictures of our daughters piano recitals and EVERYONE knowing, or taking pictures of our sleeping babies and waking them up.

There is a phrase I have found myself using a lot since buying this phone, and it apples here, too:  Epic Fail!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm glad some people at least get it: That a noisy camera policy really solves nothing and inconveniences everyone. Is there a means to get this feedback to Sprint and/or Samsung? Or are we really just working ourselves up to rooting the darn thing? I don't typically like to bother with such things, but if the hidden camera creeps can do it, I can too.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Check the XDA site and see if anyone has written a script for it to silence it.  I found some for a couple of old phones including my old Photon which basically just mutes the setting you don't have access to.  Don't require if it requires root or not, but it's just  small app you install most times.

Highlighted

If it is like my samsung moment then you will just need change your ringer to silent mode and you should be able to take pictures without hearing anything from camera shutter.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello, older androids tied the shutter sound to "system" volume. which could be adjusted with apps like Volume Control +. newer Androids cannot mute the camera shutter for privacy concerns. Many communities have laws that require a digital camera to make an audible sound to alert others that their picture is being taken.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Hi, RC1024. Many people have pointed out that this policy makes no sense. Anyone who wants to sneak pictures can root their phone to silence the camera, while those of us who don't want to disturb golfers and sleeping babies have also been given a reason to root our phones. Furthermore, "many" communities are not all communities, and Samsung / Sprint need not force compliance on everyone to a law that affects only some. There should never be any concern that Samsung / Sprint would bear liability.

Basically my new phone has given me a reason to still carry my old pocket camera around.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I understand where you're coming from, but that does not change the fact that this has been implemented as a privacy feature to protect the public. I would like to be able to say something different, but I don't see this changing in the future. It was passed through congress, and may be made into law sooner than we think.

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat