cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please allow silence of camera shutter

Journeyman

To silence the camera is the only reason I would root my phone, and it is a very good reason. But would rather not have to.

It makes no sense to not allow shutter sound off. Some countries have laws against it, but the US does not, and if anyone was creepy enough to take surreptitious photos, they would root the phone and silence the camera anyway.

So please just offer the option openly for the sake of your customers.

Tags (1)
20 REPLIES
Wizard

Good luck, dude. I tried a while back to get them to consider it. It reportedly is a Sprint policy that isn't printed anywhere for all phones now. The root methods aren't hard for this fix. I was tired of my baby waking up all the time and being stared at when I'd take photos at weddings.

Journeyman

There was actually a law passed saying phones in America now are required to have a shutter, because apparently there would be creeps taking pictures of people in public places, like bathrooms, dressing rooms,etc

Wizard

Is that seriously a law now?  Don't get me wrong...I don't want people taking pictures of my kids while they're doing their thing in a public bathroom, but there are already laws in place against that.  I also don't think a "click" sound would deter someone that sick from doing it anyway.  I guess that's one more reason to hold onto my Evo until it dies...you can shut off the shutter sound on it.

Journeyman

The only 100% solution is to disconnect the speaker in your device or root there is no mandate or law sprint and samsung is to lazy to change the programming to allow for it here in to the US dont buy anymore new phones if you cant set the sound setting of your camera is the only solution they as a big company will understand.

Journeyman

All you need is to find the app called "SimpleNotepad"  Works for photo and video.

BTW:  That so-called "law" is in South Korea not the US.

Journeyman

I just hold a finger over the speaker when taking a picture.

Journeyman

Re: Please allow silence of camera shutter

Holding your finger over it does not silence the stupid shutter sound.  Like I said, just look around the Web for an app called "Simple Notepad."  Not only does it disable the sounds but it also has super stealth settings.  Now, if only this damn phone actually worked like a phone and did not have the WORST signal issues I have ever seen, everything would be peechy.

Journeyman

I agree with you fully 100%. This is rediculous, If I don't want my phone to make a loud click everytime I take a photo that should be my choice, not samsung or sprint's.

Journeyman

I think the inability to disable the shutter sound is a policy decision meant to protect the privacy of others. there is always someone out there who would start taking pictures in locker rooms, bathrooms, or in trade-secret environments if that sound were turned off. My wife, a teacher, considers this a very, very important feature.

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.