cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please fix the Android OS battery bug!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please fix the Android OS battery bug!

I am getting really tired of having to reboot to "fix" this battery eatting bug. The phone will not sleep like this and it sucks battery extremely fast when this happens. The phone gets into a loop trying to suspend. This also seems to commonly be a big part of the loss of signal issue. Please please please get this fixed! This is supposed to be your flagship phone that we just spent big money purchasing. Unfortunately, your 14 day return policy kind of limits options at this point.

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/16805821/screenshot_9.jpghttp://dl.dropbox.com/u/16805821/screenshot_10.jpg

25 REPLIES 25
Highlighted
Journeyman

Here is a whole thread about it and detailed description of what is wrong. Please fix this!

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=18140918#post18140918

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed. This needs to be fixed.

I've been checking this site, XDA, and Android Central for any possible fixes.

Highlighted
Journeyman

This is a real deal breaker. Can we get acknowledgement from Sprint that this is a known issue?

Highlighted
Journeyman

If this is still an issue, will just go in another market.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Agreed.

Aside from the loss of signal issue, this is the biggest problem with the, otherwise excellent, phone.

As the link to xda says:

"We still don't know what the exact bug is caused by, instead of  searching for the bug in the Samsung sources, the vanilla Linux kernel  was taken and the Samsung patches were applied on it, this also means  that the issue is not with the Samsung drivers but the kernel by Samsung  itself."

Sprint, please get in contact with Samsung regarding this issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Why is this a bug? If you are having poor battery performance, then report that. But simply having the OS use a large percentage is neither surprising or a source for concern. Use of the OS is a constant. If you don't use other resources or apps on your phone, then the OS is going to use a higher percentage of 100. Your screen capture shows that you had the phone on for only 2.5 hours, and other than GooVe IP, you didn't use much else.

Simply put, if you are getting acceptable battery life, who really cares what percent your OS is using? I don't see this as an issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

That is like saying your car gets 30MPG, who cares if it should get 50 and there is a bug in the software eatting the other 20. Please, why comment with a useless post?

The battery life is not acceptable. My original epic gets better battery due to this bug. This bug is keeping the phone from properly sleeping. Notice the screen shot showing the CPU being used almost fully by suspend and event/0 linux commands? That shouldn't be the case and if you read the xda thread fully explaining the bug. What happens is that the system wants to go to sleep and sends the corresponding event to events/0 and suspend, but something in the drivers goes wrong and the device doesn't go into sleep. The device falls into a infinite loop to try to get into sleep, again, and again, and again. This causes the CPU load to rise up to 100% while the device's screen is off.

I will admit this isn't just a Sprint bug. It is a galaxy S2 bug. If a dev can fix it on a international S2, http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1263838 , why can't Samsung it any of their S2 devices? If Sprint put pressure on Samsung, they would fix it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

DULANIC wrote:

Please, why comment with a useless post?

Perhaps you have not understood the point of my post. I explained that the OS may simply be using a greater portion of your battery because there is little else using the battery. For instance, I get greater than18 to 20 hours of battery usage on my ET, depending upon apps used. I also show my OS, at times, using greater than 45% of my battery life. Is this an issue? Not if my battery life more than gets me through the day.

Despite your lengthy response to my post, we still don't know what your battery life is. We know it is less than your original Epic. Why don't you post your usage at the end of the day? That way, if your OS is at a high percent, and you have something like 6 hours, there is an issue.

Your reference to the XDA post, while technically interesting, doesn't help in the understanding of this particular issue. If you have an issue with poor battery life on the Epic Touch, than perhaps Samsung should be addressing poor battery life, no matter the cause. If this were truly a "bug", then it would be repeatable throughout all users. On the other hand, there may be somthing wrong with your phone in particular. To remedy this issue, if it were me, I would document my battery life and show Sprint screen captures demonstrating that I couldn't get through the day on the battery. Then, I would take it to Sprint and ask for a new phone.

I have included some screen captures to show my OS use while getting good battery life. (I'll post again, so you can see another day because Sprint only lets you post two files.) Last night, I had high (43%) OS use because I didn't use the phone much. Unfortunately, I didn't capture the usage before I recharged. Hope this helps.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Another day of usage. Note that my OS used 51% of the battery life, but at 23 hours on battery, I'm not complaining.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I don't need to explain how I use my phone or how much battery I get. A "it's good enough" response is what Samsung and Sprint want you to have. The bug exists either way and battery life could be better. I am not a "it's good enough" type person. When there is a bug it needs to be fixed, plain and simple.

I just don't get your idea of ohhh this is "good enough". This phone is capable of so much more if Sprint/Samsung would take the time to fix this bug.

http://i.imgur.com/NHGdg.png

even though if the bug was fixed, my battery drain would look like this..

http://i.imgur.com/kXRnh.png

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's pretty funny! You are complaining about two days, seven hours of battery usage!? I must be looking at the wrong screen.

Good luck with your pursuit of perfection and the seven-day battery!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat