cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Journeyman

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please remove your posting from this thread as it is not a problem, nor is it in the format requested.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My MHL Adapter does not work either. Logcat shows an EDIDRead() error when doing the HDMI handshake. Then it reverts to DVI (which obviously can't be displayed through an HDMI connection)

Journeyman

Actually, her problems stated in her other forum are considerable.

Highlighted

I like your attempt in beginning to make a list of issues but not clear why the "manual" update should not be included? Because the manual update (not a root) is/was available. So if you want to delete, go ahead but I did the manual update (with no issues) below my concerns:

• Significant battery drain on WiFi (rarely use now because of it - I did go to settings/Wi-Fi/Menu/Advanced - keep wifi on to "never")
  • There appears to be a battery drain otherwise as well but I have no previous records to show what they were prior to the update
  • Intermittent loss of 3g/4g connections (never occurred on Gingerbread) I live in Mpls/St Paul area (doesn't matter where I am at and the only other phone that has this issue is another ICS (HTC EVO 4G LTE - "coincidence"?) - Most noticeable in the Facebook app as one gets the message loss of connection/retry - is this a Facebook app problem or ICS or combination?
  • Phone Dialer does not have the ability to see contacts (doesn't appear joined as in GB) nor see how long a phone call was
  • Contacts: Favorites - horrible large profile pics/fuzzy - update the pic and it gets better but still too large and no option to "list"
  • Do not like the ICS launcher because the Google Search is at top of every screen (not so on the HTC EVO 4G LTE) - using TW for now
  • Do not like the stock Swype keyboard because the number locations have changed (now only top row) - not the same as in GB
  • No documentation as to the changes, etc (simply - where is there a small user guide)
Highlighted
Journeyman

None

Highlighted
Journeyman

My family has four Samsung Epic S2 cell phones.  All of us now have problems that we did not have previously.  The basic ones are the same as the post from mrcminnesota. (a) Battery drain, (b) trouble with WiFi despite a string signal in my home, even when in the same room, drops the connection and messages regarding the connection (reconnect) constantly popping up (every 30 to 60 seconds), (c) Swype no longer works (get an error message), (d) ongoing freezing of functions, not  limited to anything specific, (e) 3G messages regarding roaming.

I live in Commack, NY 11725 - somewhat near a highway where a connection should be strong for 3G.

We were all very happy with the 2.x version of Android - Gingerbread.  The phone was great.  Wish we had a choice not to upgrade or had a chance to rollback without doing a reset. Even then, the ICS version does not allow for permanently deciding NOT to install ICS.

Allen

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just found a solution to the SWYPE problem on another blog - go to Settings=>Applications=>All=>Swype and hit the button that says "Clear Data"; that will fix that error.  It looks like SWYPE has been updated.

Allen

Highlighted
Journeyman

in addition to every single item mrcminnesota is experiencing, there is also no more LED notification for emails.

many of my downloaded apps are also acting funky (e.g. handcent sms keyboard letter popups are empty), but i assume these will be fixed as the app developers make the apps ICS-compatible

im in seattle

Highlighted
Journeyman

I like your attempt in beginning to make a list of issues but not clear why the "manual" update should not be included? Because the manual update (not a root) is/was available. So if you want to delete, go ahead but I did the manual update (with no issues) below my concerns:

• Significant battery drain on WiFi (rarely use now because of it - I did go to settings/Wi-Fi/Menu/Advanced - keep wifi on to "never")
  • There appears to be a battery drain otherwise as well but I have no previous records to show what they were prior to the update
  • Intermittent loss of 3g/4g connections (never occurred on Gingerbread) I live in Mpls/St Paul area (doesn't matter where I am at and the only other phone that has this issue is another ICS (HTC EVO 4G LTE - "coincidence"?) - Most noticeable in the Facebook app as one gets the message loss of connection/retry - is this a Facebook app problem or ICS or combination?
  • Phone Dialer does not have the ability to see contacts (doesn't appear joined as in GB) nor see how long a phone call was
  • Contacts: Favorites - horrible large profile pics/fuzzy - update the pic and it gets better but still too large and no option to "list"
  • Do not like the ICS launcher because the Google Search is at top of every screen (not so on the HTC EVO 4G LTE) - using TW for now
  • Do not like the stock Swype keyboard because the number locations have changed (now only top row) - not the same as in GB
  • No documentation as to the changes, etc (simply - where is there a small user guide)

Was wondering if you heard about a fix for any of these?  Thinking about reverting back to GB.  These are disapointing factors......

Highlighted
Journeyman

I can no longer sync files between phone and computer.  For years I've been syncing files between the micro SD card on my phone using a piece of software called 'GoodSync'.  Now, my phone (Samsung Galaxy S2) on Sprint is no longer recognized by 'GoodSync'.  So I can no longer sync data between my phone and computer.  Before the update my phone and it's micro-SD card, when connected via USB cable, were recognized by my computer as external drives and that was great!  Now, my computer (Windows 7 Ultimate Service Pack 1, 64-bit) recognizes the phone as simply a 'Portable Device' when attached via USB cable.  I have contacted the makers of 'GoodSync' and currently they do not support syncing with portable devices.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat