cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Journeyman

I haven't had many problems either.  However, I do have one big issue.  GPS will not connect, even after 30 minutes of waiting.

Have you noticed any GPS issues with "vanilla" ice cream sandwich?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Nope. I was going to go to Cyanogen Mod 9, but "vanilla" ICS is running so well, I think I may just stay with it.  My GPS connects quickly, there is no real lag anywhere. My 3G reception seems to be a bit better....more consistant anyway.....but my overall cellular reception is not as good as it shuld be due to ongoing tower work.  Overall, I am quite happy with the root/RAW ICS (FF18).

Highlighted
Journeyman

Issues since OTA ICS Update:

1)  WiFi disconnects and reconnects frequently (see messages on my phone that wifi has reconnected quite frequently)

2)  Significantly more battery drain than with Gingerbread (I don't know if this is the "new normal" or not)

3)  Phone will randomly freeze for several seconds after unlocking it (Menu/Home/Return/Search keys unresponsive for several seconds after unlock).

I have completely reset my phone to factory since the update and these three issues above remain.

Highlighted
Journeyman

having connection to both 3g and wifi problems

also, i use phone to book appointments using genbook, no browser that i have tried since the update any longer allows me to use the functions in genbook. wont open appts, wont open new appointment setting window, cant tap buttons for options to tap again for settings, hope that makes sense.

havent been able to find a setting or option to help this.

fixed email visibility issue by changing font size. new gmail intrusion app is frustrating me, fixed swype problem by adjusting settins.

just a few anyway, mostly the same as listed elsewhere.

Battery drain is watchable, very frustrated.

i must say also, however, that there are a few things i really like; once i figured it all out, the email is more intuitive, my live wallpaper is better, graphics seem better, a few other things, just want full internet function back and awesome battery life back, otherwise pointless to pay for smartphone and data

Highlighted
Journeyman

I just got the ICS update finally yesterday morning. I was hesitent to update my phone after reading so many bad things regarding the update. I amthankful to report that the only issue I was having was that my battery life wasn't lasting as long as it was before. But I read a few forums that suggested clearing the phones cache and rebooted my phone. Everythings working just fine in my opnion. My WiFi is working just like it was before I use WiFi at home and at work to save battery life.I also have not had a problem making or receiving calls and still am getting 4g. I guess I should consider myself thankful that my phone was not distroyed by the ICS update.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello, are you going to www.genbook.com, or m.genbook.com? Have you looked in battery usage to see which app/function may be draining battery?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello Li.Li, The ICS software version does have a separate brightness adjust for web browser, this may cause the brightness to shift more than just having the one setting for all functions in settings. When you exit an application are you pressing the house button, the back arrow, or using a menu option within the app? Have you taken any steps to try avoiding the high battery use?

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024, can you let us know if 1) Sprint ackowledges a problem with battery life with ICS and 2) what Sprint is doing to resolve it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have tried both the full and mobile genbook site, i always preferred to use the full site, it has way more functionality, i dont like the mobile version, thought that does work better since the update, i cant use the mobile to set offline blocks etc, but i suppose i can get used to the mobile version if that is what im stuck with. but part of the reason for the big smartphone was because i prefer full sites to mobile versions.

i have tried the onboard browser, dolphin and maxthon, it happens at all, every now and then like, 1 in 20 tries, the functions will work properly, seems to be a os issue not a specific browser issue, but perhaps i just havent found the right setting to tweak.

all indications are that wifi is draining battery, whereas before i could sit at my office or at home all day with wifi on and hardly notice a drain.

after much tweaking and resetting and restarting, battery drain seems to have leveled off today, yesterday was the worst, but i dug through all the new different setting options and think i have it going pretty good now, but still would have preferred that time for other things

samsung galaxy s2 if i didnt say that

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

So far I have seen no announcements as an "acknowledgement" of a problem because the developers are still looking into complaints from the update. since not all users are reporting this there is an underlying cause that they would have to be able to duplicate before they could propose a solution. I will post back with any detail that I see.

Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

So far I have seen no announcements as an "acknowledgement" of a problem because the developers are still looking into complaints from the update. since not all users are reporting this there is an underlying cause that they would have to be able to duplicate before they could propose a solution. I will post back with any detail that I see.

I am more than happy to let the developers look at my phone.... If there are any logs I can provide please PM me info. I, like others, are very frustrated with this update and my phone is pretty much constantly on a charger for me to use it. It has gotten so bad I am willing to spend the money on the ETF and move to another carrier.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

The mobile site is the one that was developed for mobile web browsers, the other for computers. the full site may not work properly, although you may want to contact genbook for detail to see if they may be working on an android application. If WiFi is the biggest cause for drain You may want to check settings, maybe switch frequency band from auto, to just 2.4, or 5 GHz, uncheck network notification, and set Wifi to sleep while screen's off.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat