cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Thank you, if I'm asked for log data I will be sure to ask you for it. I'm sorry for the trouble that you've had. have you made any changes to your phone since updating to try getting past the battery drain?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

Thank you, if I'm asked for log data I will be sure to ask you for it. I'm sorry for the trouble that you've had. have you made any changes to your phone since updating to try getting past the battery drain?

No, I noticed the battery drain immediately after applying the ICS update. After a few days I did a factory reset, but that did not solve the problems either.

Highlighted
Journeyman

i used to be able to use the full genbook website functions with no issue before update, but like i said, if i must get used to the mobile version so be it. i have tweaked all the settings you suggest, i think the battery is doing better now

just frustrated because whats the point of all these cool things the phone can do if we no longer can use any of them, or ever have them on? if i have to shut everything off just to keep the phone alive for a few hours then whats the point of all the fun stuff

most functions are working better since all my tweaking, but i would like to have alerts and vibration and notifications able to be on so i didnt have to keep remembering to check my phone all the time when i get busy with paperwork and stuff, i have loved this phone for running my business but its losing some of its allure. like giving me a puppy and a lobster dinner and telling me to throw away the dinner and never take the puppy out of its kennel to play.

when all is said and done, i actually like the update, just want to be able to play with everything again and have battery life like pre update.

is this something they can/ might address in future updates? might they at least tell us what is now turned on and running in background that wasnt before and that we can turn back off/ remove?

Highlighted
Journeyman

what exactly is rooting?  i see people say tha all the time but dont know what it means

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

rooting in brief is gaining administrative access to the operating system to make changes which are normally prohibited. you may be able to make changes to remove unwanted software, or settings. unfortunately it can leave you vulnerable in some situations, and may prevent you from installing updates directly OTA, or in store.

Highlighted
Journeyman

thanks,

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

rooting in brief is gaining administrative access to the operating system to make changes which are normally prohibited. you may be able to make changes to remove unwanted software, or settings. unfortunately it can leave you vulnerable in some situations, and may prevent you from installing updates directly OTA, or in store.

Not being able to install the offical OTA update to ICS would have been a good thing for me   All the reports I see about custom ICS ROMS is that the battery life is great.

I did compare my wifi settings to a friend with a Galaxy Nexus. They are the same, however he gets great battery life.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

The Galaxy Nexus is a phone different in many ways, and there may be more shortening your battery life than just wifi.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

The Galaxy Nexus is a phone different in many ways, and there may be more shortening your battery life than just wifi.

True, but sounds like the Galaxy Nexus would be better for me than the S2, but that is another discussion 😉

Using Better Battery Status, it looks like wifi is keeping my phone awake, if I am reading it correctly.

Journeyman

I'm getting

- Bad battery drain

- Lag on the touch commands

- Lost security features for using the pattern

Highlighted
Journeyman

After a few weeks with ICS here the problems I'm experiencing (18032):

Constantly losing data connection (Even in my home using Airave)

GPS takes even longer to lock in

Never had issues with my phone freezing prior to ICS. 

Signal strength seems weaker.. some places I had 3g are non existent now

3g (no 4g here) is even slower...basically not even usuable many times 

Phone lag

I will say I'm noticing a big drain in battery.  It may drain a little quicker, but for the most part my battery will last through the day. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

1) Battery drain: at times it will go from charged to <10% in a few hours even if all applications are closed and the phone is sitting unused. If I look up the major contributor, it just says 'Android OS'

2) 4G/WIFI constantly going in and out (may contribute to #1). At least once the led indicator glowed red even though there were no notifications or applications running, I had to restart the phone to get it turned off

3) The default web browser no longer allows multiple windows (and the switch from icons to a list when opening settings is garbage in my opinion).

4) Warnings on data roaming

5) In general email syncing seems much slower

There are likely several more problems with various apps etc, except I've avoided using the phone lately since there's no battery and basic functions have become a pain

In Seattle area..

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat