cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Journeyman

Mine updated this morning. So far, I've noticed these issues:

In certain applications, some parts of the touch screen do not respond whatsoever.  I tried cleaning the screen.  There is no longer a calibration option available in Input.  I did not have this  problem before the upgrade

I use an app called Cardio Trainer.  It can no longer utilize any calorie count with more than three digits.  It truncates the last digit both in its display and in arithmetic, so for example a bike ride in which I burned 1,500 calories will now be treated as 150 calories when it calculates my seven-day total.  I can open up entries and see the correct calorie count.

I've rebooted/soft reset several times and tried clearing the cache as one person suggested -- no change.  I had rooted my pre-Touch Epic 4G -- thinking this might be the solution yet again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since my original posting was taken down by the all mighty moderators let me try this again as an edited version...

When I got the botched "Downgrade" the following issues immediatly surfaced

1) GPS would take up to 5 minutes to lock on

2) Battery life I'd have to charge my phone every 5-6 hours with very little use

3) Phone would run super hot especially if using bluetooth

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there any fix to this? This is terrible. I hate my phone now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

fairseth13 wrote:

Is there any fix to this? This is terrible. I hate my phone now.

Not one that works for everone. Some people have said wiping cache and / or a factory reset helped them. For me both did not fix the battery problem. Apparently, even though there are upteen posts here about battery problems, Sprint doesn't believe this is a problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am beyond pissed. Guess I will make a fun visit tomorrow to my local Sprint store...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Zipcode 75042

1. Battery life is greatly degraded.  Previously when the phone was idle/standby, it would last a full 24 hours on wifi but about 12 hours on 3G/4G.  Now, when not even in use and regardless of wifi/3G/4G, the phone will die in about 8 hours, and according to the battery status, ~96% of the usage is coming from Android OS.

2. With Android 2.3.6 my Quadrant score was ~3500 but now with 4.0.4 it is consistently ~2800, and it is very obvious that the phone is running slower.

3. I'm also experiencing the lock/unlock lag that some people have mentioned, where it can take several seconds before the phone responds after unlocking.

4. There is often several seconds lag, if any response at all, when pressing the home button.

5. 4G is now almost non-existent and my overall phone signal is now very weak and often drops out. 3G seems much slower, but maybe that's because the phone runs much slower.

6. Using the Chrome browser, when keying a word into the search field (as opposed to swyping), Swype inserts a space in between every single character.

7. Any type of scrolling is no longer smooth.

8. I keep disabling "Auto Brightness", and it seems to keep finding a way to reenable itself.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I recieved the update to ICS a couple of days ago and here are the issues I've been experiencing :

1 - Like everyone else, I immediately noticed a huge decrease in battery life after the update.

2 - I am no longer able to access video playback through the internet browser.

3 - Running into slowdown and occasional freezing when moving from the unlock screen or when entering/exiting applications.

4 - All of my merged contacts were unmerged by the ICS update and all of the contact portraits imported from FB have been replaced by the stock silhouette portrait.

5 - Loss of both 3g and 4g data connectivity in places where before I consistently had access.  (for example, in my office I would always at least have 3g access but after the ICS update I have no signal whatsoever)

I certainly hope these issues are resolved soon as ICS has rendered an awesome device nigh on unusable for me. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

1) Battery drains like crazy.  Just using Wi-Fi and GPS drains the battery much more quickly than with GB.

2) I haven't been able to download or update any of my apps since the update.  I keep getting the error message "Application cannot be installed in the default location." every time I try to update an app or install a new one.

3) Many apps have become glitchy and won't close properly or freeze, might be due to being unable to update any of them.

4) 4G drops in and out at random even when in an area with a strong connection.

Highlighted
Journeyman

DieTrying007 wrote:

I certainly hope these issues are resolved soon as ICS has rendered an awesome device nigh on unusable for me. 

Soon, not likely. As of now, based on Sprint employees on here and on the phone, Sprint says there is not a problem. I suggest as many people email dan@sprint.com and make as much noise as possible.

Journeyman

Back everything up, do a hard reset, tweak a lot of settings, especially tell wifi to be off while phone is sleeping, (got a third party app for that and backup).  Google can handle some of the backup. Oh and tel it to turn off the percentage monitor display for battery.  I am back to only down like 25% power loss at end of afternoon. And love most of the new tweaks especially email and graphics speed. Still less function in websites esp my online booking site, but hoping thell patch for that

Highlighted
Journeyman

I contacted the person I have been in communication with via dan@sprint.com today. This time she put me on hold and spoke with someone from the tech support group. I was told Sprint is aware of the battery problem and is working with Samsung to fix it. This is the first time I have had a Sprint employee ackowledge the fact that the battery life is a problem, which seems like progress. Now, it could very well be that I was just fed that line to shut me up, I guss time will tell. I just wanted to share this with the group.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ok, here's a new one for you. I've been following all the advice I found on here. TO make my battery life better, I rebooted and dumped the cache, and I fixed the Wifi settings. However, this one has me perplexed. Hopefully someone can shed some light.

When I use Bluetooth audio, after about 10 minutes, the phone reboots itself! This is consistent. I use Bluetooth in my car (I specifically bought a car deck that supports it) to listen to music. I do both streaming (through Opera) and just use the music player app. I don't know what is causing this, but of course it's driving me bonkers! I thought at first it was just Opera, but then it did the same thing using the music player app. I understand glitches, but I haven't found anyone that has the same issue, or at least that I've seen.

Anyone have any ideas? 😕 I'm at a loss as to what to try!

Thanks for any help!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat