cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello Voodoofu, when you say just sync'ed  do you mean, phone & stereo are paired, and connected? or something different? apart from the version of bluetooth, do you know which protocols your card stereo requires the use of? or make/model of bluetooth device?

No longer working Community Response.
Journeyman

Thanks for writing back! I have used both the Opera browser for music and Ice Cream Sandwich's music app. The phone is only hot with the Opera streaming (but I think that's because the screen is on the entire time). When using the music app, it is not hot at all. My car stereo is a Sony MEX-BT3000P (http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158BT3000P/Sony-MEX-BT3000P.html) which uses Bluetooth version 2.1 + EDR. I seriously used these same things every day before I had Ice Cream Sandwich. I actually bought this stereo after I bought my phone because I was excited to finally not have to deal with wires and I love the safety features of having Bluetooth calling. I'm really, really hoping this gets resolved because I really miss listening to my music!

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello SaraNH, This car stereo uses HFP, A2DP, AVRCP, and PBAP. The first 3 are pretty standard, but PBAP is used for Phone book access for dialing, and some units will pull the phonebook for advanced dialing options. I have talked to a few coworkers who use this phone, with A2DP/AVRCP/HFP/HSP devices who have no complaints. In your situation I imagine the car stereo is causing a crash when using PBAP, or the something is wrong with the saved pairing in the phone. I may suggest delete the pairing both in the phone, and in the stereo. Delete the current phonebook data in the stereo, then try pairing the two again. If it still causes the phone to reset in 10 minute timeframe let me know how many contacts you have, apx length of call log, and before getting started download an app like androsensor so after a crash you can peek at the temperature to see if it’s affecting your phone. If we can’t pinpoint the cause, the sprint service & repair may be able to collect logs from your phone that will help the developers determine what has caused this trouble, you may also want to consider a factory restore if you have not already done so. Please let me know how things go.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you SO MUCH for your help. Seriously, I appreciate it. You must be working your butt off to get all these bugs fixed. I understand that it can't be easy. I will definitely try what you suggested. I was actually going to ask if the phone stores crash reports at all. I have a Sprint store right up the road from where I live, so it wouldn't be a huge deal to stop by and have them pull the info.

I also just tested the phone with my Bluetooth headphones (Motorolla S305). I've been listening for over 20 minutes, and no crash! So I think you are on to something with the phone and the stereo. It's just odd, though, because I rarely use the phone feature (I'm more of a pick-up-if-someone-calls-me person, not a call-everyone-while-I'm-driving person). But if the stereo is trying to access it, and not getting what it wants, that could be it! I'll let you know how it works! Thanks again!

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Something also to consider is that some Phones, and Stereos can disable phonebook access from their bluetooth settings. if you find that the problem seems directly related to phone book access, and it persists after factory restore then you may want to check your stereo's menu to see if phone book access can be turned off, or on phone settings tap bluetooth settings, then your car stereo's settings to see if more than just Phone Audio & Media Audio exist, if something related to phonebook, or general access are listed then try unchecking it. I wish I could take credit for all of the effort, but we're in a community, and all work together.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 - thanks for your help on this.  I am using this stereo - http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158BT2900/Sony-Xplod-MEX-BT2900.html?search=bt+2900&osp=bt+2900&tp=5684... - It is the Sony BT2900, sarahNH is using the BT3000 so it is probably the same issue on both.  Mine uses

HFP 1.5, OPP, PBAP, A2DP 1.2, AVRCP 1.3

Yes it even does it when the phone and stereo are paired and connected, but not using the phone to play music or anything else.

I unpaired and then re-paired and told the stereo to not access the phone book and same reboot after 15 minutes. I also cleared data for bluetooth on the phone since that seemed to work for the swype issues, but no dice. Anything else you can think of would be appreciated.  Sorry to give you so much work.

Thanks again for your help

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am very unhappy with ics.  e-mail not working.  excessive battery drain. yet sprint does not admit problems.  please let us know how to fix our phones or at least option to revert to GB. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm coming from the Evo 3d and must say battery on here can be atrocious. The biggest culprit from my battery stats is the screen and Android OS in 2nd.  If sitting in standby the battery will last quite a while, however if you actually use it (like the the smartphone it is) forget it about it.  I've lost over 10% in the last 20 minutes just reading this thread with brightness set at 50%. Try playing a game and it drops at close to 1% per minute. Absolutely horrible! It also seems like auto brightness setting doesn't work, gone from indoors to outside in the sun and can't notice any change (and can't really see screen as well). As for signal, it's pretty bad... but I've been dealing with that for some time and is the reason I received this phone as a replacement. I have noticed from multiple post that many others are having signal issues and they started with the recent updates.  I think there were some changes to the modems/radios that are causing problems. Additionally when trying to roam (while in a good coverage zone nonetheless) keep getting warning to the effect of no data connection. Aren't we supposed to get roaming data too? Also, when this happens I usually have wifi connected and it acts like it's killing that connection too. It will still show connected but internet and market don't work, says no connection.  Turn wifi off/on and back working. As for smaller issues; Calendar won't sync correctly.  Certain images/text don't look right (aliasing and quality), for example contact images look bad in list and get scaled so big on Contact details you can't even see the picture and quality is horrible. I know I saw this somewhere else too just can't remember where. BTW Lost anoter 10% of battery in last 15 minute writing this...  Note this phone was shipped with fresh FF18 so no factory reset needed.

Also, does Sprint not do UAT (User Acceptance Testing) before pushing out these updates? It seems to be a common occurence with Sprint for there to be significant issues with intial release of updates.  For as long as it takes them to get an update out in the first place, usually weeks - months after everyone else, all these issues should be ironed out!

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello, I have a few questions, in what way is your email not working? Which types of email do you have setup? Which settings have you confirmed to be certain that you’re making best use of your battery life?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hi, do you have the backlight set to auto, or 50%? And are you referring to the phone backlight setting, or the browser’s backlight setting? Do you have data roaming setting set to allow? Which types of email, or sync accounts do you have entered into phone?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I have a few people looking into this. I will let you know what they communicate to me voodoofu & SaraNH.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

Hi, do you have the backlight set to auto, or 50%? And are you referring to the phone backlight setting, or the browser’s backlight setting? Do you have data roaming setting set to allow? Which types of email, or sync accounts do you have entered into phone?

I am talking about the screen brightness under Display settings.  As I mentioned in original post, Auto Brightness does not appear to be working so it is not turned on.  When it is on there is no change in screen brightness regardless of the lighting conditions I'm in.  Not using stock browser, nor was I aware it had it's own brightness option.  Yes, Data Roaming is enabled. Roaming mode set to Automatic, Roaming Settings check for Domestic Voice and Data, and Roaming Gaurd not checked for any. Under Mobile networks only have 3G Data option and it is checked.  No email accounts, only Google, Facebook, Facebook for Social Hub accounts setup.  Facebook for Social Hub continuously gives "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It well be back shortly" error.  Have also seen this for Google account a few times (currently as I type).  Have tried removing accounts and adding back, and in different order to see if one or the other was particularly acting up.  No change, seems syncing in general is an issue with this update.

Edit: Did notice when trying to manually sync Facebook for Social Hub account, it causes the error for both itself and Google account.  Note the stand-alone Facebook account syncs without issue or errors.  Also a manual sync of Google account syncs without issue or error.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat