cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Something I’d like you to try is go to the stock web browser. Press menu, and select the brightness option to make sure it’s still set to auto. After verifying that it is go to a web site, and while browser is still on screen cover  the top half of phone for at least 4 seconds (covering the proximity sensor/camera area with thumb will suffice.) you should the screen dim if you are in a well lit area, and should see the screen brighten up after the sensors are unobstructed for 4+ seconds. You may also see a difference. To test the other auto brightness set the setting to auto adjust, go to an app like sprint tv, open a channel, while the media is playing hold thumb over the sensor for at least 4 seconds. You will see the screen dim of you are in an area with moderate to high light levels. Unfortunately I have no way to test roaming data, since you have the setting enabled to allow roaming data then do you have any battery saver applications enabled/installed?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

Something I’d like you to try is go to the stock web browser. Press menu, and select the brightness option to make sure it’s still set to auto. After verifying that it is go to a web site, and while browser is still on screen cover  the top half of phone for at least 4 seconds (covering the proximity sensor/camera area with thumb will suffice.) you should the screen dim if you are in a well lit area, and should see the screen brighten up after the sensors are unobstructed for 4+ seconds. You may also see a difference. To test the other auto brightness set the setting to auto adjust, go to an app like sprint tv, open a channel, while the media is playing hold thumb over the sensor for at least 4 seconds. You will see the screen dim of you are in an area with moderate to high light levels. Unfortunately I have no way to test roaming data, since you have the setting enabled to allow roaming data then do you have any battery saver applications enabled/installed?

I had previously tried covering up the sensor with no apparent change.  I decided to step it up a notch and hit it with an LED flashlight.  This did make it brighten up, but still seems kinda low and when i take the light away it gets almost too dark and looks very dull.  No battery saver apps. Just happened to have the Data Roaming message pop up again. "You have lost data connectivity because you left your home network with data roamin", the rest is cut off so not sure what it's saying but guessing it thinks there's no 3g Roaming option.  When I click notification it takes me to the Mobile Networks settings, where again I only see "3G data".  Should there be another option under here for 3G Roaming Data or something similar? What options were previously under Mobile Networks on gingerbread builds before update?

Update: Playing with settings more, it appears the Auto adjust screen power option is causing issues.  With it turned on I can shine light at sensor and screen gets brighter, but when i remove the light and cover up the sensor the brightness will not revert back down to where it was.

Update: Noticed while in wifi settings it's scanning for connections every 5 seconds, even when I'm already connected.  Does it continuously scan even when not in the settings window? If so, this would certainly add to battery drain.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am experiencing serious battery drain issues on both my Epic 4 Touch device and my wife's device as well. Sprint, we need a firmware update, or some other fix to address this matter as this is quite ridiculous!!!

-scrubtoast

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please do somoething to correct the issues. My phone will reboot three to four times a day for no reason. I have done a factory reset, and ever thing else possible. I shouldn't have to pay the price I do when I'm not get the service I deserve.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024, I had no luck with the stereo. In fact, today it was worse than ever. It crashed multiple times just being connected to the stereo without playing music or doing anything involving the phone (this all happened before I removed the pairing and tried to redo the pairing from the stereo after "wiping" it). After I did the re-pairing, I thought it was fixed, but no such luck. It's definitely the stereo, though, as my Bluetooth headphones seem to be fine. Really hoping there will be a fix for this.

Thanks again for checking this out for me and for voodoofu.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SaraNH wrote:

RC1024, I had no luck with the stereo. In fact, today it was worse than ever. It crashed multiple times just being connected to the stereo without playing music or doing anything involving the phone (this all happened before I removed the pairing and tried to redo the pairing from the stereo after "wiping" it). After I did the re-pairing, I thought it was fixed, but no such luck. It's definitely the stereo, though, as my Bluetooth headphones seem to be fine. Really hoping there will be a fix for this.

Thanks again for checking this out for me and for voodoofu.

If you were using the same setup prior to update I wouldn't necessarily put the stereo at fault.  RC1024 mentioned the PBAP and it sounds like it's not playing nice.  The headphones you mentioned would not try to use the PBAP, which if it was broken on the phone would explain why you couldn't duplicate the issue with those.  Did you use the phone feature on the stereo before update? If so and assuming it worked correctly, does it announce the contact's name when someone calls or text you? Wondering if it was crashing when someone was trying to contact you.  Although, just to make it more interesting and confusing... I've currently had my Bluant T1 (which supports PBAP) connected for over 20 minutes now and have not had any restarts.  Was even playing music and called my phone, caller was announced no issues then resumed playing music. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I decided to see whether Samsung was going to do anything to fix all these problems and went to their website to see what I could do. They are clearly not a very client-friendly company as it took me 6+ attempts to register in order to make a comment about the poor update and then when I finally got to login was put in a web-page loop that would not let me leave a comment. What a dreadful experience.

I have pretty-much all the issues described here and in the end re-flashed my phone myself back to the original Sprint image with Gingerbread (my local Sprint store was unable to help). I am now just bugged with invitations to 'upgrade' to ICS, which I always refuse. I will continue to monitor these forums until I see Sprint has been able to correct their massive screw-up.

Maybe time for an (AT&T) iPhone come October...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, I am using the exact same setup. Nothing, aside from ICS, has changed. And no body has tried calling me when I had it connected. It's weird. It seems to be doing it all on its own. And as I said, yesterday before I tried to "fix" it, it was crashing after 30 seconds, then two minutes, then again after a short amount of time. No discernable reason. When I "fixed" it, I told it to NOT connect to my address book. Still didn't help. And the fact that you've had no issues makes it even more frustrating. Ugh.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello, In my test phones the auto adjust for brightness works without fail, I’m in a 90 – 100 Lux environment. You are correct that some of the default settings are not optimized for battery performance. I usually leave features turned off while I’m not using them. If you have a frequent need for using WiFi, then turning off network notification, changing sleep mode policy, and frequency banding in advanced settings may make a noticeable improvement. If you note that more than one feature is not working as expected, and have just completed a software upgrade, then You may want to backup data and try a factory restore. Some people state they have noticed an unexplained power drain being alleviated after resetting. I usually suggest setting pop/imap/EAS accounts to manual check frequency, turn off unused features, exit apps by using back arrow, or exit option from menu of app if it exists, and I will usually install/enable Juice defender. Typically I will enable GPS if I’ll be using camera, or Maps. I will enable 4G or WiFi if I want to do a lot of browsing, or a lot of downloading.

Sprint Employee

Hello BIGORANGEFAN9999, after the Factory restore which apps did you install, and which types of email/sync accounts were added?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello SaraNH, and Voodoofu, I haven't forgotten you, I'm working with a few people to see if we can get this problem identified, and getting the ball rolling on a fix.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

Hello, In my test phones the auto adjust for brightness works without fail, I’m in a 90 – 100 Lux environment. You are correct that some of the default settings are not optimized for battery performance. I usually leave features turned off while I’m not using them. If you have a frequent need for using WiFi, then turning off network notification, changing sleep mode policy, and frequency banding in advanced settings may make a noticeable improvement. If you note that more than one feature is not working as expected, and have just completed a software upgrade, then You may want to backup data and try a factory restore. Some people state they have noticed an unexplained power drain being alleviated after resetting. I usually suggest setting pop/imap/EAS accounts to manual check frequency, turn off unused features, exit apps by using back arrow, or exit option from menu of app if it exists, and I will usually install/enable Juice defender. Typically I will enable GPS if I’ll be using camera, or Maps. I will enable 4G or WiFi if I want to do a lot of browsing, or a lot of downloading.

I did find auto brightness would work, but only when the option "Auto adjust screen power" is not enabled.  When this option is on auto brightness does not work.  I had both my Evo 3ds replaced with these phones and both phones had the same problem, and both were shipped with fresh install of ICS update.  As such, there would be no reason to do factory restore, they were already factory restored when I received them.  Interesting note on sleep policy.  The Keep Wi-Fi on during sleep setting has 3 options; Always, Only when plugged in, Never (increases data usage).  Seems like the increase in data usage note should be attached to the Always option...  I'm no stranger to modifying settings and have already turned all the unsued services off, i.e. GPS, 4G.  Battery consumption will be less when using wifi rather than 3G since power needs are not near as high as for mobile networking.  Not to mention with Sprint service in the state it's in, at capacity and terrible signal strength, it's likely trying even harder to maintain a decent signal causing greater battery drain.  What about the sync issues, you haven't even touched on those yet?

I'm seriously curious what kind of UAT (User Acceptance Testing) Sprint does before releasing updates.  Seems like it's very little, if any, considering there are so many complaints of similar issues... and it's not like we had to try and find these, most are very apparent and easy to identify.  It would be really nice if Sprint would do their part to fully test instead of pushing out bugged updates at the expense of your customers' experience.  We already pay a hefty amount for service every month and should not be subject to such poor experiences!

I strongly recommend everyone send emails to dan@sprint.com  No this does not actually go to Dan Hesse, but rather a corporate escalation team of sorts.  They will respond and appear to better about getting stuff done and forwarding concerns to appropriate groups.  Another option would be to tell tech support you want an executive escaltion ticket open.  If they say there's no such thing keep asking for the next level of manager.  Had previously inquired about such a group in the past and was told it did not exists.  But after going through 3 or 4 levels of managers the other day I got one that said he was the highest in that building.  Wasn't getting the progress I liked so made him call his boss and he was told he could open a executive escalation incident.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat