cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Journeyman

Let's try and to get everyone who's still having issues to call Sprint and Samsung and complain until they fix this disaster!

Highlighted
Journeyman

The FH13 update has not improved batterry life or anything for that matter. In fact it has pretty much rendered my phone useless as I get no signal in my home and weird noises that I can't seem to turn off as well as constant rebooting. Worst experience I have ever had on any phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree! This update still sucks...no improvements were made! I called Samsung earlier and they told me that there is another update coming out soon. Hopefully, this fixes all the issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

An RDF was released yesterday afternoon - hopefully it is a little more stable than the (alpha?) release from 8/23.

But I'll continue to suggest to people... back up your data, upgrade, do a factory reset and then load all the apps up again.  You'll find that old data causes a majority of the problems that people are experiencing.  (Think about upgrading any other O/S... Linux, Windows, Mac OSX... clean is always better than upgrading on top of an older version.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got the FH13 update and sorry to say don't have anything good to report.  I can leave my phone "asleep" starting at 99% battery, not touch it all day, and 8 hours later it be at ~20% battery if not altogether dead.  Usage consistently shows ~90%+ by Android OS just like it did before.  The graph shows a very steady drain even when I'm not using the phone at all.

The lag when locking/unlocking, scrolling, or launching apps is still terrible... in the ~5sec range to respond.  My Quadrant score has dropped even farther.  With GB I was consistenly scoring ~3500.  After FF18 I was scoring ~2800.  After FH13 I'm consistently scoring ~2400 and I can definitely notice the performance degradation.

I never see 4G anymore and my 3G is very weak.  My phone signal altogether is usually nil which would explain why more than half of my texts fail and it takes several resends before I can get them to go through.  This is as compared to previously where in the same areas I had strong signal strength.

I've also had the random phone reboot issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So... with ICS i noticed that my phone overall was laggy although some interent apps loaded faster. Like everyone else my issue was that there was a crazy battery drain. So i solved that issue by buying an extended battery. No with this new FH13... i am so... not happy! I feel like im going to just smash the dam phone! I can't use anything using data, my phone calls are droping, my 3G is dropping and even when it is around it's slow as hell. And I have 6 bars were I work! And i still can't use the orginal swype keyboard that won't work anymore with ICS. I've dealt with all the other issues, including downloading a new swype keyboard, but seriously now my phone is freaken useless. I'm reseting tonight and going back to GB once i figure out how and I'm not updating my phone again. Also I heard that this "update" is coming in pieces. Does this mean that this will be fixed? Either way for the time being my phone will be reseted. Honestly, as long as my texts, phone calls and internet worked, i was good. Way to mess it all up sprint/samsung.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Guys. Can everyone who is having issues with this update call Sprint customer service so they at least know this issue is prevalent and do something about it? I contacted customer service and they denied that there was any widespread issue with the phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So... since i made my previous post... my phone as actually started getting better. There's still not much of a battery difference but my signal strength has improved and I got my orginal swype keyboard back. Nothing else seemed to have downloaded but now everything on my phone is finally stablizing and starting to work better than it did before the update...

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have the insurance on my E4gTouch.  Can I just smash it and then buy a different phone?  Or do I have to keep the same POS phone?

Like the rest of you, I've done the update and the problems remain.........This was a great phone (the email problem has existed since Day 1 though).

Highlighted
Journeyman

@Solaractiriz: Must be nice. I'm replying via comupter since my phone still has no signal.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Went to the MN State Fair today with a fully charges phone. Lasted about 4.5 hours, without using it,

roaming the whole time. Since the update it is a complete piece of junk. I need to keep it on a charger at all times.

I even put a new battery in it hoping that was the issue. Very disappointed with Spint on this issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had this issue upon update as well. I then tried going back and reflashing the firmware, thinking the update didn't write to flash properly. It ended up just being a bad build. I contacted Sprint and was told that the build was known to have issues and an update would be coming soon. When I asked for more details they stated they had no idea as to when. I then asked some friends in the development department when it would be fixed and they had no idea and were not actively working on it, due to other larger issues needing to be taken care of it.

I have since flashed to 4.1.1 (Jellybean), which is still at Alpha 5.1.2 (as of this post) and it's only problem is Google Voice has low audio, other than that nothing. My battery life went from less than 4 hours to 2-3 days now under low use and a solid 1.5 days with heavy use (screen on several hours a day, on phone and messaging with e-mails and other apps open). I'd suggest heading over to XDA and grabbing it up if you're comfortable with the root/flash process. Much better, also with network speeds and stability too, not to mention the new features it adds!

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat