cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Journeyman

While I appreciate RC1024 sticking with this forum in the face of so many obvious problems with moving these phones to ICS, everyone in Sprint knows by now what a complete disaster this is.  These forums, actually several on the Sprint forum pages, multiple threads on the Android forums.  Battery life now is horrible, 3G speed is cobbled down, but worst of all the basic ability of the phone to work as a phone is compromised.  Every place I use my phone I now have fewer bars, and i drop calls routinely.  On FF13, and checked at a store.  The reps at the store have clearly been instructed to act as if they have never heard of these problems.  They just reset your phone and hand it back saying things are find.

Worse, Sprint has now plastered the press and Internet with the announcements of moving completely to LTE.  These WiMax phones are soon to be orphans.  Not that there is any 4G coverage to speak of, at least not here in the Washington DC area.  There is no point in fussing with our problems with the SII, because it is officially obsolete -- thought policy says they will 'support' WiMax for a while.  Sure.  So we have the phantasy that these upgrades did no harm, even though the overwhelming evidence is that thousands of people are now worse off with phones bought in the last 12 months, phones which mostly were working pretty well (except for the horrible GPS, but that now seems trivial by comparison).  Now you are lucky to make it several hours if you actually want to use your phone for data, and you are lucky to be able to make an ordinary phone call if you aren't standing under a cell tower.  Well done ... time to move these bricks on to other folks and move to something that Sprint is actually supporting.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I upgraded my husband's phone to the new upgrade and it worked fine...the battery life is good and all is as good or better than it was...not sure why some are having such problems and that is a real shame...we all depend on our phones...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Angie:

The phone looks and feels like there's nothing wrong... Except when you try to download something from Google Play or from the internet. Try to download a large application and let us know if it downloads as fast as before. Or try Speedtest.net (There's an application on Google Play) and test your speed. The network it's all I am complaining here. The Bluetooth mouse buttons are horrible compared to GB but I can live with that issue but not with the slow internet speed.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I think the signal strength meter was extremely optimistic in GB to mask flaws in the hardware.  With GB, my phone needed a minimum of three bars to even partially operate.  It could not function on 0, 1, or 2 bars.  After ICS, it showed fewer bars but performed the same.

The ICS update and recent problems might be a coincidence.  The GPS and cell radios have been failing ever since I bought my phone.  One warranty repair completely fixed it, only to have performance rapidly decline again.  Another warranty repair was merely a software patch that offered little help.  It's back for warranty repair again because GPS is dead (1 to 3 satellites flicker on GPS Test) and the cell radio keeps showing roaming with no bars and no service.  It looks like repairs are backlogged so I have no updates.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Not here, the speed on GB was real. I know because I streamed videos with no hiccups and crisp HD quality. I also used speedtest.net to test the speed and I almost got 8MB per second! That was faster than many ISPs. Now on ICS I have barely the slowest DSL speeds out there, too many hiccups on streaming video and the phone dosn't even play them in HD. So I don't think it was a mask.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, I too think RC1024 deserves some credit for trying to help us all out and staying on top of this thread, I doubt its easy to deal with all these issues.

But Sprint needs to come forward and admit that these issues are a result of ICS and communicate to us what they are doing to rectify it.  I am not saying that they are fully at fault, Samsung is just as much to blame for releasing these updates BUT its sprint that pushes these updates to our phones and its sprint that now has angry customers.  Like I said earlier, where is the accountability? And Rc1024 is here giving us troubleshooting steps but I'm sorry to say that its all for not.  The issue isn't our settings, its the software.  I live in NYC and prior to fh13 I had awesome service.  Ff18 worked perfectly for me and I loved it.  Then fh13 came along and jacked my phone up. I had wimax everywhere man but then zip!

And my hope that FI03 can provide us with some relief gets slimmer as each day goes on.  What kind of issues will that bring?!?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yes, I too agree that RC1024 deserves credit.

And I have to say I am really confused on what is messing with our phones because a friend of mine has the Motorola Razr with Verizon and he got the UD way before me and everything looks and works perfect. He doesn't complain at all and that got me jealous. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

EDGARCALIFORNIA wrote:

Yes, I too agree that RC1024 deserves credit.

And I have to say I am really confused on what is messing with our phones because a friend of mine has the Motorola Razr with Verizon and he got the UD way before me and everything looks and works perfect. He doesn't complain at all and that got me jealous. 

I think the key there is Verizon....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I used to hate Verizon for their over priced plans but, lately they are getting better. First the NFL they took away from Sprint and now the LTE phones like the Razr, plus all this frustration with Sprint are making me doubt if switching.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Any luck on fixing my problem? Still have the ringtone play through a phone call and multiple restarts each day.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Please people, keep this thread alive so Sprint can catch our attention. They need to come forward and research for a fix or try to contact Samsung to remedy this mess.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Edgar, who assures you that this software was untested? It was tested by our developers, and is used successfully by many people. The volume of reports here represent a very small portion of how many of the Galaxy S IIs that are in use. Since data speed seems to be a primary concern for you, what have you compared your 4g speed with? I have tested speeds with our phones running FF18, and FH13, I see expected speeds.

Screenshot_2012-09-19-07-39-47.pngScreenshot_2012-09-19-07-44-29.png

No longer working Community Response.
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat