cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Manny, If you feel that something is configured incorrectly in the modem send me a private message, I would like to help you.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Gioia999, It is unfortunate that clear (our WiMax partner) was not able to launch WiMax in more cities, LTE is being rolled out by us, I expect steady progress will be made.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

KMcMurtrie That may be, I have no information to determine how the signal strength meter represents the actual signal strength, on each occasion that I have checked out this model for testing (not the same phone each time, just same model) I have seen it weigh in similarly to other models for signal reception, GPS reception, 3G speed, and 4G speed. Some quirks have been part of the ICS upgrade, I’m sure that the developers will do what they must to make sure this phone works as well as we’d all hope. Below I have pictures comparing GPS test for the Galaxy SII, and an Evo 3D. Please keep in mind that I'm in a building with a corrugated steel roof, with steel girders, surrounded by concrete walls.

Screenshot_2012-09-19-08-00-21.png2012-09-19_08-00-54.png

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

David71a While it’s true that a different piece of technology on a different network may perform differently I feel that Edgar was using this statement as an example of how an ICS update may be perceived as more successful.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

JVMALLARI1 The notification tone playing while in call has been reported to the developers, I will post here when I hear more.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello AngieInConroe, good to hear from you again in this long while, glad that the update's working well for you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024, have you tried FourSquare on any test phones?  One problem that I have with this app (and a few others) is that it won't retreive any data when using 3G/4G, but works great on WIFI.  The GPS location also works great no matter WIFI or cellular network.  I've had a similar problem with the DTV app.  This issue never occured before the update.  I only use 2-3 apps so I am not sure how widepsread this problem is on my phone.

Here is an image of a full 4G signal not retreiving any data (Lookout has been removed from my phone but the issue still exists)

Screenshot_2012-08-28-15-04-21.png

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

No, I haven't, I will try it on a few phones and see how it works here. have you contacted the developer of the app in the Play store yet?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Its the ICS captainjim, not the app.

@RC1024, I appreciate the gesture man but I am not going to mess with ICS until both Samsung and Sprint provide us with another build where the Wimax thresholds are corrected and all these other little issues are corrected.  Again, thanks for the offer man but I am not gonna waste my time updating to ICS, getting upset that nothing works and then flashing back to Gingerbread.  I was at it for 3 days and enough is enough.  Until there is a new build available to rectify these issue I won't be bothering.  Like I said, I think you should get some recognition for at least showing face to the customers, but its a widespread problem that needs a widespread solution.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024:

By the way 10/24 it's my Birthday!

Anyways, I don't think you guys tested the Galaxy S2 in all areas.

Here in zip code 92606 (Work) and 90805 (Home) I wish I had half of the speeds you report here. I use speedtest.net too and my download speed is less than 700 KB. I wish I had at least 3000 KB/sec.

And I am coparing the ICS 4G speed vs the GB 4G Speed. It doesn't seem fair to you or what?

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024, so what are us who are still having problems to do? I have done a factory reset, made sure I don't have any utility software installed, had my phone tested at a repair center and played with all the settings I could find. At this point are those of us who have problems just supposed to live with it? At what point will Sprint send us a replacement phone. And if they do that, will it be another E4GT or something like a Galaxy Nexus? What is the process of going down that route of getting another phone to fix the broken ones we have?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Time for some honesty, I think.

I am sure that Sprint does feel a bit guilty having rolled out this dreadful patch, but their actions (or rather inactions) over the issue speak volumes to me. We all know that it is relatively easy to roll back our phones to GingerBread (there are no imperatives for ICS) and I have done so (and am therefore happy with my phone again) but when a Sprint customer rep called me back recently to tell me about FH13 he told me that Sprint "would not allow" him to perform the rollback in the store.

The bottom line is that Sprint is end-of-lifing their 4G WiMax network and wants all its users off it. The GS2 does not support LTE, so must also be eliminated as a legacy phone. It's all a numbers game. They know that eventually we'll all go away and buy GS3s or iPhone 5s. This explains the lack of acknowledgement of a problem - if they do that, it will open them up to some form of compensation.

Again, I recommend rolling back to GingerBread and getting on with life. It's only a phone for goodness sake.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat