cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Journeyman

So, basically we're screwed. I was told by Samsung to do a factory reset and to try to re-flash the software using the Kies software. If it doesn't work, I don't wanna waste my time doing this.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I’m saying nothing of the sort, and I’m confused by your comment on the mysterious developers. The store techs for several years have had an open method to communicate with the developers within sprint, for reporting problems that have been found, and can be duplicated. This is part of how we are able to get software updates out there to correct problems.

I have been helping by offering suggestions when appropriate, and ultimately guiding the affected users into a place where our store techs can collect the data that is necessary to get these problems taken care of.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

You say "send your info to developers," yet nowhere does it state who or where these developers are. Just because you know what you're talking about doesn't mean other people do. If you're referring us back into the store, as has often been stated on this thread and others that you have commented on, most store techs know less about the possible fixes or solutions (that won't work) than a layman with general tech proficiency who does some google searching. You're helping just up to the point where you say "There is an issue for many customers and we're working on a solution." I'm sure that Sprint has forbidden you from suggesting that Sprint could possibly be at fault for anything, so at the end of the day all I'm reading is "denial, denial, useless suggestion, active listening, denial." Your claim that nowhere in Sprint can anyone find A phone that has the same issue as thousands of people on the Internet seems to be disingenuous, at best. Honestly, Sprint needs to stop paying you to give us stock responses and comforting words, and instead use your talents to actually fix the phone or find a compromise with customers that will satisfy those of us who have been sorely inconvenienced.

Again, no disrespect. But you represent Sprint and Sprint has dropped the ball. The claim that the large majority of users have no issues is hardly verifiable--I have yet to see a Survey from Sprint polling E4GT users' satisfaction with the firmware update. So I don't know where this claim you are making is coming from.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

I feel that I’ve presented the information I have for you in the clearest way that I know how. I have no trouble admitting that a problem exists if I am able to see it first hand, or have been told that said problem exists by an authority in the matter. Until I have one or another I would be misrepresenting what I am aware of.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

At this point if you have completed the reset, and the store can duplicate a behavior outside of what we would expect, they should be able to collect log data from your phone to feed back to the developers, in hope of getting it corrected in a future maintenance software release.

So just say collect log data? Hopefully they will know what that means. Is there some sort of ticket created so I can track the progress and make sure my info really gets sent to the developers? I will point them to your post above and see if they know what to do.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

You will likely not have to mention that because I beleive that it's part of their SOP. I would mention that you feel this is related to the software update, and that we have suggested having the update reapplied after a factory restore to see if the problem persists, they should report the problem.

Highlighted
Journeyman

No way dude, it's NOT possible that all that network settings change so dramatically from time to time. I've tested my speed so many times, not just once.

I am totally positive that my network settings are correct because.... I never messed with them in the firts place!

I took my phone to a store too and all they said was, they needed to perform a downgrade.

So I agree with Jokbook, the reps at the store sometimes or (most of the time) know even less than a bunch of us users.

I am staying on GB until I see this problems with ICS fixed. I just hope the UD notification would go away. It bugs me like 30 times a day.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just a question...but how many people have to report the SAME problems??

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have to agree that the fact that Sprint would have us believe that NO ONE that works for them is having the same problems that thousands of their e4gt users is experiencing seems a bit disingenuous.

I will be calling sprint within the coming days and see what they have to say.  I already have a ticket made out due to my 4g issue.  However, this situation and how they handle it going forward will be the deciding factor on whether I continue my contract with them or not.  I suggest others do the same.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I would cancel my contract by now and go to Verizon if there were no cancellation fees.

Highlighted
Journeyman

For what it is worth, i did 2 factory resets that kind of helped. Today i bit the bullet, backed everything up using lies on my computer, also using my backup, did a factory reset, cleared usb storage, and cleared the cache, added my google account, rebooted after every group of updates the phone and play store did, r downloaded my necessary apps from play store, rebooted again, reset a few settings, battery is doing great and wifi is flying. Will see over the n next few weeks, but loving so far.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Twiegs:

What about the 4G speed? is it fast after doing all this?

I never had a problem with wifi. My problem is with 4G.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat