cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

What always amazes me about this discussion, which i only follow in hopes that a proper update becomes available, is that it is not dominated by instructions on how to re-flash back to Gingerbread. I have posted this solution a couple of times in the past as have a few others, because it's easy and completely solves the problem.

Of course, Sprint should be giving this info.

Search this thread for my earlier posts.

Get on with life and stop getting frustrated over a stupid phone. - there are solutions.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Simon, can you repost that address for the youtube video to reflash the GS2 back to Gingerbread? I found the post you made giving the address but when I clicked on it I got an incorrect address screen. I am fed up with this ICS crap and want to get back to the Gingerbread platform. If I can get back to Gingerbread then I just may wait out the length of my contract and then dump Sprint once and for all when it expires in a little over a year.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Just like others that have posted this fix the mods deleted it. 

Showing them up or telling the truth will have your post deleted

If you can find the solution please post the link again.  Im sure Im not the only one that could use a life line.

Especially when its been reported that the OTA update could take a full month to roll out to all of the phones.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

simonrowell wrote:

Get on with life and stop getting frustrated over a stupid phone. - there are solutions.

Not everyone feels secure going through all of that. Not everyone wants to deal with potentially bricking their phone--though that isn't much different from what I have now, to be honest.

To go back to the automotive metaphor, rooting your phone and going back to a previous release is as if my Honda CIVIC's speedometer was faulty due to a software update at its A2 service. Honda refuses to acknowledge it, or says "We're looking into it. Please leave your car for a week with us. KTHXBAI." Then someone says here's a way to reset the speedometer software, and oh by the way--if you screw up, your car won't start and Honda won't fix it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the info Simon. This isn't exactly what I was expecting as far as getting back to Gingerbread. To root the phone I believe would destroy the phones warranty coverage  with Sprint if something should happen during the rooting process or months after. Once Sprint finds out unauthorized modifications were made to the phone you sure as heck can bet Sprint will not spend a split second listening to your complaints if the phone should take a dump....heck it is hard to get them to listen to our valid complaints about the phone without unauthorized modifications as it is already.

Highlighted
Journeyman

srala1 wrote:

Thanks for the info Simon. This isn't exactly what I was expecting as far as getting back to Gingerbread. To root the phone I believe would destroy the phones warranty coverage  with Sprint if something should happen during the rooting process or months after. Once Sprint finds out unauthorized modifications were made to the phone you sure as heck can bet Sprint will not spend a split second listening to your complaints if the phone should take a dump....heck it is hard to get them to listen to our valid complaints about the phone without unauthorized modifications as it is already.

I have the same thing i'm wrestling with mentally.  I'm reasonably sure i could root the phone, but yes, it would destroy any sort of warranty coverage you might have the phone.

But ask yourself... how's that warranty/service coverage working for you right now?  Not real great, is it?

Highlighted
Journeyman

We Galaxy S2 users are in a tough situation. Who would have ever thought that after we bought this "state-of-the-art" superphone less than a year ago that we would ALL be going through such headaches with it. It looks like we are between a rock and a hard place so to speak. Like you I have been trying to find a solution that will benefit me until either the problem is either solved or I just  move on to another carrier. To answer your question though at the end of your previous post...I don't have anyhting working for me with the  solutions Sprint has come up with under their warranty for my problems I have had with my GS2.  Currently I am on my second replacement phone and pretty much all the problems I have encountered in the previous phones I am still ecperiencing, although I must say the battery life on this second phone is worse! I am lucky to get two hours out of a battery charge before I have to recharge the damn thing.

Highlighted
Journeyman

srala1 wrote:

We Galaxy S2 users are in a tough situation. Who would have ever thought that after we bought this "state-of-the-art" superphone less than a year ago that we would ALL be going through such headaches with it. It looks like we are between a rock and a hard place so to speak. Like you I have been trying to find a solution that will benefit me until either the problem is either solved or I just  move on to another carrier. To answer your question though at the end of your previous post...I don't have anyhting working for me with the  solutions Sprint has come up with under their warranty for my problems I have had with my GS2.  Currently I am on my second replacement phone and pretty much all the problems I have encountered in the previous phones I am still ecperiencing, although I must say the battery life on this second phone is worse! I am lucky to get two hours out of a battery charge before I have to recharge the **** thing.

I figured... so worst case scenario, you root your phone and it works, and you don't get any further support from Sprint.  Ergo: No change from now, other than having a working phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I must admit we don't have very many options right now. With all the newer phones coming out we GS2 owners with our concerns will be pushed to the back of the line when all the problems of the newer phones become the newest headaches for Sprint. Once those guaranteed problems on the newer phones inundate Sprint it will be tough to even get our call through to them. I have a little over a year left on my contract so rooting this phone leaves me a bit on the vulnerable side "IF" something should go wrong. If this stupid upgrade came out with just months left on my contract and then experiencing everything I have gone through over the last few months I would do the rooting without even thinking twice about it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Like many of you when I first upgraded to ICS it was a disaster, bad signal, battery drain big time, error messages.... I followed most of the suggestions (I won't root my phone), cleared the cache, turned off wifi, changed the setting so it would not stay awake, removed all programs, finally did a factory reset still battery drain still had dropped signal... but then I downloaded kies to my computer hooked up the phone and let it upgrade to the F13, still had battery drain but the error message went away after I got a message and I answered the question (roaming error), then I seen a post that said take out your SD card so I did, plus that night I let the phone drain to almost 10% left on the battery turned it off and did a charge over night and did this again the next day. I have since put the sd card back in the phone and I can now get over a day on my battery. Yes I have surfed the web used the map program added a few, text and use the phone and the battery life has gone back to what it was, I don't know if it was removing the sd card or letting the phone drain almost completly and turning it off and letting it charge fully that fixed the issue but let me tell you I am happy (minus the signal that is not quite as strong as it was before but I also don't go by bars because I still can hold a conversation when no bars are showing). I never used the 4 g before because I had heard before the upgrade it was a battery drain and 3 g is fine for me. I also have 3 email accounts set up to sync all the time or is that called push? I get email as quickly as it arrives. Working for a software company I do know many times an upgrade is believed to have passed all the tests but once it hits the market you find out "oops we didn't think of that" or because of settings/software.. on their machines it causes another issue that was not tested. I'm by no way excusing Sprint's inability to admit there is an issue because there is and they should just own up to it and say we're sorry and get a fix out as quickly as possible.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The link I posted is NOT regarding rooting a phone - it is for the re-flashing of the phone back to Gingerbread using the original Sprint image. There are no warranty issues.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat