cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Journeyman

The battery meter should appear but the percentage will not as of FI27.  That was intentional by Sprint.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know this is not what most of you want to hear, but it needs to be said seeing how so many of you are still experiencing the horrible experience with the ICS upgrade to the Epic 4g phone. Get rid of that pile of crap Samsung Galaxy S2.  I dumped my experience with that phone a month ago when my second replacement took a dump on me on Thanksgiving Day. After going through the usual reset over the phone on my hoilday I was called the next day to see how the phone was doing after the reset the day before. I told the rep that the phone was still jumping to the "settings" screen all by itself, so the rep told me I could take another Galaxy S2 or lateral over to a Motorola Photon 4g and or a HTC Evo3d. I jumped at the chance to get away from that Samsung with no money out of my pocket or a new two year contract. I am thrilled knowing that my choice of the Motorola Photon 4g is still on Gingerbread and will not be getting that disaster of an upgrade called Ice Cream Sandwhich. Seek a new phone that will keep you in your current contract and then when it is done make your switch to another carrier or stay with Sprint and choose another phone after doing some serious homework on what is working and what is not working when these phones get these upgrades that are forced on us. Personally I feel we should be allowed to delay any upgrade to our phone for as long as we want until we are sure this is what we want to do with OUR phone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Like everyone else I had been getting the usual issues that ICS has brought to the S2 (poor battery life, inconsistent data connectivity, occasional crashing and rebooting, etc.)  All of that was extremely irritating but at least my phone was still in a semi-functional state. 

Unfortunately, last week I started getting the same issue evanbing described where my power/lockscreen button would activate itself while completely ignoring my actual presses and constantly shut down and reboot my phone.  Fortunately, when I took it in to the Sprint store I didn't receive a similar nightmare where the techs tried to do anything shady so that I'd be held responsible for paying to replace the phone.  Now I'm just waiting on a replacement phone and hoping Sprint/Samsung get their crap together and sort out the nightmare that has been the ICS update sooner rather than later.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Like everyone else I had been getting the usual issues that ICS has brought to the S2 (poor battery life, inconsistent data connectivity, occasional crashing and rebooting, etc.)  All of that was extremely irritating but at least my phone was still in a semi-functional state. 

Unfortunately, last week I started getting the same issue evanbing described where my power/lockscreen button would activate itself while completely ignoring my actual presses and constantly shut down and reboot my phone.  Fortunately, when I took it in to the Sprint store I didn't receive a similar nightmare where the techs tried to do anything shady so that I'd be held responsible for paying to replace the phone.  Now I'm just waiting on a replacement phone and hoping Sprint/Samsung get their crap together and sort out the nightmare that has been the ICS update sooner rather than later.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Highlighted
Journeyman

srala1 wrote:

I know this is not what most of you want to hear, but it needs to be said seeing how so many of you are still experiencing the horrible experience with the ICS upgrade to the Epic 4g phone. Get rid of that pile of **** Samsung Galaxy S2.  I dumped my experience with that phone a month ago when my second replacement took a dump on me on Thanksgiving Day. After going through the usual reset over the phone on my hoilday I was called the next day to see how the phone was doing after the reset the day before. I told the rep that the phone was still jumping to the "settings" screen all by itself, so the rep told me I could take another Galaxy S2 or lateral over to a Motorola Photon 4g and or a HTC Evo3d. I jumped at the chance to get away from that Samsung with no money out of my pocket or a new two year contract. I am thrilled knowing that my choice of the Motorola Photon 4g is still on Gingerbread and will not be getting that disaster of an upgrade called Ice Cream Sandwhich. Seek a new phone that will keep you in your current contract and then when it is done make your switch to another carrier or stay with Sprint and choose another phone after doing some serious homework on what is working and what is not working when these phones get these upgrades that are forced on us. Personally I feel we should be allowed to delay any upgrade to our phone for as long as we want until we are sure this is what we want to do with OUR phone.

I suggested a lateral move to another phone replacement, and Sprint told me that would not be possible unless i wanted to pay full price.  Another instance of inconsistent answers from Sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

ICS was definitely a disaster, however I've had JB FK23 then 4.1.2 FL04 for about 2 weeks and from what I can see, many of the issues of ICS have been corrected, and they have also finally fixed the stock email client so it works with Exchange Active Synch email, like msn.

Once they get it finalized and can get it rolled out, you will be very pleased.

I decided to go with the S3 but the update is so good, I'm having trouble with that decision.

Reasons:

1.) I hate the physical home button on the S3 (workaround - I disabled the screen lock and just press home - but I did the same on the S2 and just press power)

2.) I miss Search on the bottom

3.) It is just slightly too big, and I fumble it far more than the S2 (my fingers measure 9.5 inches from thumb to pinky so it should make that big of a difference but it does, especially when you have to tap in the top left and right corners.)

4.) The phone gets really hot, much hotter than the S2 and the screen seems to freeze and pause in email just as much as the S2.

5. I find the screen on the S2 crisper and the contrast better for text. It is sometimes difficult reading text on websites.

6.) The "radio"/Phone seems no better than the S2. I don't get even get roaming service in parts of my neighborhood even though people with Verizon get 4 bars.

7.) I haven't found a case/belt clip I like yet. The Sprint Store and Sprint Online one is garbage. It feels like you are going to break the phone to get it out of the case, which on the S2 I did twice a day to change batteries. It is also too slippery on the back, the edge imposes on tapping back and settings, and the belt clip requires that you have 3 hands to get the thing in an out of it. I've checked Best buy and Amazon and the Samsung site and have yet to find anything similar to the S2 one which although brittle was great. And since I bought it at a Sprint Store, they replaced the clip 3 times in a year and 2 months, no questions asked, because the made in China plastic simply breaks. 

On the Plus side:

I do find it to be much better than the S2 in terms of connection to the Airvana/Airave. Since I don't have the S2 active with voice any more, I can't say if that is a difference between the S2/S3 or ICS/JB.

I like the ability to zoom in/out by sliding your finger on the right edge of the screen up and down.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I really can't' understand why Spring and Samsung aren't releasing the Jelly Bean update. I would expect an explanation from them as such; "we can neither confirm nor deny a Jelly Bean update for the Epic 4G Touch", or "we haven't finished testing it yet". Neither of these are valid excuses. This phone is getting very close to the end of its popularity, if it hasn't reached that point already, and Jelly Bean should be pushed out to this phone regardless of the testing process. We know from developers and users on here that have flashed Jelly Bean ROMs that it is far superior to even the best ICS update (which supposedly went through lengthy testing as well, but was pushed out regardless). Why are Sprint and Samsung witholding this update from us when it would solve so many issues to just push it out now and then update it again, if necessary, with a more well-tested version in a few weeks or whenever they have determined testing is complete?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm going to just go back to Gingerbread custom mod.  No glitches, no worries.  The only downside is a lot of web pages are blocked.  For instance, playing a game downloaded from the play store, it comes up with "web page cannot be loaded" which in my opinion is a small loss when compared to battery life of 5 minutes on an otherwise awesome phone.  I will check back periodically and IF and WHEN the glitches on ICS are resolved I MIGHT get it again....  Kind of sad when custom roms run better than the ones put out by google and sprint eh?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had jellybean on my epic touch for a while.  It ran really smooth, but it had a few glitches, so I went back to the sprint ICS release, and have had nothing but problems.  Going back to gingerbread untill this crap gets resolved

Highlighted
Journeyman

Wow !!! Same here My G S II Has fliped the ****Out!!

As I sit here and watch it bounce from one screen to the next like it's possesed !!

Powers on and off all of the same stuff you have, I Have.

So Sick and tired of Sprints Excuses Gurr!!! This is my 3rd replacement In less

then 2 yrs and I'm tired of their BS!!!

Zip Coad is 78638

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat