cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Journeyman

Not sure which reset you did but this one worked for me:

I finally broke down and did a reset (tried taking battery out first without success) you will want to back up your data because it will erase it.

settings

privacy

factory reset (I don't remember the wording after this I think it was a yes)

Once I did that and it rebooted I received an "upgrade completed" and a message about roaming and if I wanted that type of error message which I answered NO, no more data roaming errors, my battery life has improved greatly and even though the signal is not as good as it was before I can make calls without dropping from home again!

Many of the apps I had I have decided not to reinstall because so many of them (if you take the time to read the terms) say they can take pictures/video at anytime without your knowledge, email and/or call people in your contacts without your knowledge! No thank you! My smart phone is now just for calls and emails.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I should also mention I did also go into wifi click menu  then advaced and changed the Keep WiFi on during sleep  to "only when plugged in"

settings

wifi

menu (bottom left)

advanced

change "keep WiFi on during sleep" to "only when plugged in"

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 and SarahNH - I have been doing some testing by connecting phone only and media only and the reboot only happens when media is connected.  I can have the phone connected with PBAP and no reboot.  I can even play music on the phone thru the AUX on the stereo while phone only is connected and no reboot.  I had media only connected and it reboots everytime, whether I am playing music or not.  I'm not sure what settings you can change on the media connection and we may just be forced to revert back to GB.  Hopefully this helps you troubleshoot on your end RC1024.  I personally have never seen an update or software release go smoothly and really appreciate all of your help and hard work.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Two SII's in my household.. horrible reception on both since the upgrade, battery drain on one. Custome Service claims there's an update out in the last week but my phone knows nothing about it... Have to call the service center today

Highlighted
Journeyman

Eraserhead wrote:

Two SII's in my household.. horrible reception on both since the upgrade, battery drain on one. Custome Service claims there's an update out in the last week but my phone knows nothing about it... Have to call the service center today

Are you on FF18? The update is FH13. You can update via Kies (not Kies Air). Go here and choose the first dowload:

http://www.samsung.com/us/kies/

After you install that on your PC, connect your phone and it will tell you an update is available and let you install it. I installed FH13 Saturday. So far the battery seems a bit better, but no where near what it was on GB. For me the jury is still out if FH13 helped with battery life.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Yeah, I'm on FF18. I'll track down FH13 now, see what happens.. thanks!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I know they're working on it, so for the time being I've been doing what you have, attaching it with an aux cable. It's not the same at all, but I am not reverting back to Gingerbread unless I have to. I have faith in the dev team!

Highlighted
Journeyman

My ICS issues:

Severe battery drain.

Poor signal with multiple dropped calls.

WiFi loses connectivity frequently even when standing right next to router.

Phone is slow and sluggish to open apps such as messages and camera.

Constantly lose data connection when not on WiFi.

There are probably a few more but these are the biggest issues that I currently have. I really wish I would have never updated to ICS now. I use to really enjoy this phone.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello everybody, If you have come here to report problems please wait for the update to FH13 to be applied, if your phone already has been updated to FH13 please tell us if you’ve had trouble along with any detail that you feel is pertinent.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Applied FH13 and pulled the battery for 3 minutes.

Signal strength is still very, very poor, as it has been since the upgrade to ICS. Used to have a solid 3 bars at work, 4 if I waved it around... now 1 at best. Used to have 2 bars on my couch at home, now unusable in most of my house.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got that update too. Its still kinda buggy...horrible battery life, and kinda laggy etc. I say we all bombared sprint and tell them that there's issues with this FH13 update. Also email dan@sprint.com and tell him as well he gets back to you.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I've gotten the update and even went through the time consuming process of backing up my data and wiping my phone and clearing the cache to make sure that it was a clean reset. So far battery life is still laughable and the phone is still noticeably laggy compared to Gingerbread. FH13 didn't seem to do much of anything.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat