cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Journeyman

RecklessTenacity, I agree, it would be interesting to see what sort of testing Sprint does. RC1024 said the developer's phones didn't have the battery drain, but look at all the people reporting it. I would sure love to get my hands on one of these magical developer's phones that work fine!

I did email dan@sprint.com a couple weeks ago. I got a call back later that day. I was told there are no reports of battery problems and basically I am SOL. I called back a couple weeks later and was told Sprint and Samsung are working on it, but still, I am SOL. No credit to my account, nothing. So I had a phone that would last me through the day and now, because of an update Sprint pushed out, I can't make it through even half a day. So, I can either pay full price for a new phone from Sprint or switch carriers and pay the $320 early termination fee to fix the problem. Extremely frustrating.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello, if you find that Auto backlight adjust is not working while checked in both places then you should factory restore, and retest, disregarding the state the phone was shipped to you in, if the problem persists take it into a Service & repair center so they can properly document, and report this. If Wi-Fi is put to rest it will revert to using 3G, or 4G data, which is why it warns of increased data usage while wifi is asleep. You may actually consume more power by using WiFi, or 4G if you use small amounts of data, and use background data lightly. So far I have seen no synchronization problems in the test phones that I’ve used. I have no hand in the testing process, but usually when a release candidate is passed from the Manufacturer to our developers somewhat thorough testing is conducted, and the phone is tested for all basic functionalities from what I’ve been told.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Sprint Employee

David71a, I made no mention of the developers' phones. I have only been talking about the test phones available in my workgroup. so far the only "problems" that I can readily duplicate are really are just changes to features because of Ice Cream Sandwich, or design choices made by Samsung. For example the use of contact pictures across the entire width of the screen in contact view (making the picture appear pixilated because previously used resolution), or how the browser no longer uses word wrap on web pages ( this is in line with other ICS phones) if you find that you still have a strong drain  that persists beyond a factory restore, and making sure that the drain is not related to applications or settings then i would suggest having it checked out in a service and repair center.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

David71a, I made no mention of the developers' phones. I have only been talking about the test phones available in my workgroup. so far the only "problems" that I can readily duplicate are really are just changes to features because of Ice Cream Sandwich, or design choices made by Samsung. For example the use of contact pictures across the entire width of the screen in contact view (making the picture appear pixilated because previously used resolution), or how the browser no longer uses word wrap on web pages ( this is in line with other ICS phones) if you find that you still have a strong drain  that persists beyond a factory restore, and making sure that the drain is not related to applications or settings then i would suggest having it checked out in a service and repair center.

Sorry, I mean tester's phones, not developer's phones. I have done a factory reset. I have a hard time believe it is anything other than Sprint / Samsung's implemnation of ICS that is causing the battery drain. Taking it into a service and repair center would test the hardware, right? Since tons of people are having severe battery drain, and it all started after the ICS update, I doubt this is a hardware issue. It seems the folks at xda forums have identified a possible culprit shortly after the ICS update started rolling out. When connected to wifi, the phone keeps search for a wifi access point even though it is already connected. It didn't do this with GB. If you could pass this on to whatever groups you work with for them to look at, I would appreciate it.

I hope I didn't come off as attacking you personally. I appreciate you trying to respond on the forum. It is just frustrating to see post after post after post after post with people saying their battery is draining substantialy faster after the ICS update. To me, that points to a problem with the ICS update that Sprint / Samsung pushed out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Sprint representatives absolutely know about the mess they have made of the ICS upgrade (along with Samsung). It is quite clear that their marketing/business folks were so keen on getting ICS out onto their S2 customer base that they skipped a lot/all of QA. Of course they cannot admit this, or there would be some class action lawsuit or other implications for the company. The biggest concern that Sprint (and other carriers) face is the release of the iPhone 5 in October; if S2 clients, for example, were to switch from their GB-based phones to iPhone 5 all at once, then the workload for Sprint would be too much to handle and result in tremendous client dissatisfaction and defecting to other carriers. The rushed introduction of ICS was a (failed) attempt to breathe new life into the S2 and reduce the stampede and client dissatisfaction in October. What Sprint knows is that they have made a major error in releasing defective software to at least hundreds of thousands of devices and all of their stores are being inundated with complaints. What they are trying to do right now is buy themselves some time and get an update produced as quickly as possible, so that they can pretend this issue never happened. I predict there will be no fanfare, public announcement or refunds and an OTA update will quietly become available. They will rely on the fact that people have short memories and once their own particular issue is solved, they won't care anymore. Unfortunately, this is going to be true of all carriers and is just another example of the monopolistic nature of the US cell phone market.

For me, I have re-flashed my phone back to GB, have all my functionality back and will not upgrade until I know that Sprint and Samsung (don't forget, they're the real culprit here) have corrected their errors, which I expect they will eventually.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I agree with you 100% simonrowell. Sprint and Samsung messed up big time and the battery drain issues seems to be the biggest and most obvious problem. The Android OS (ICS) uses up over 60% of the battery and last I checked ICS is supposed to be really efficient and this is not the case in this update. If there is not a fix soon I will be making that dreaded move to the Iphone 5 in October on another carrier with true LTE.

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

Hello, if you find that Auto backlight adjust is not working while checked in both places then you should factory restore, and retest, disregarding the state the phone was shipped to you in, if the problem persists take it into a Service & repair center so they can properly document, and report this. If Wi-Fi is put to rest it will revert to using 3G, or 4G data, which is why it warns of increased data usage while wifi is asleep. You may actually consume more power by using WiFi, or 4G if you use small amounts of data, and use background data lightly. So far I have seen no synchronization problems in the test phones that I’ve used. I have no hand in the testing process, but usually when a release candidate is passed from the Manufacturer to our developers somewhat thorough testing is conducted, and the phone is tested for all basic functionalities from what I’ve been told.

Are refurbished phones not factory reset before shipping to customer? Would imagine that to be standard protocol... Also, I did do a factory reset on the other E4GT I recevied and it too has the same issues.  As such, i'm not inclined to go through the trouble of reseting mine and redoing everything.  And if there are multiple people reporting the same problem, having done factory reset with no resolve, why would we need to take it to a service center.  From what I've read from others who've actually done this, it did no good.  Some would tell them there's nothing wrong, others said they were told the battery was bad and got a replacement only to find they still had the issue.  Here's a thought, how about the devs fix the issues instead of giving us the run around.  It only cost Sprint more money to have us go through these mindless steps or replace phones when it's not the problem.  For F sake, the least Sprint/Samsung could do is admit there are known issues and they are being worked on, even if there's no release date as of yet.  This would likely alleviate a lot of the extra complaints/issues from customers.  Can you provide some data to back the case of wifi/4g using more power with small amounts of data? If wifi uses less power overall, then it would only make sense that this would more or less scale evenly regardless the amount of data being transmitted.  Think about it, wifi has a much more limited range and as such does not require near the same power to transmit.  3g/4g on the other hand are cellular and require much more power as the signal has a greater distance to travel.  From personal experience I can tell you while doing the same activities on 3g instead of wifi it ALWAYS results in greater battery loss.  Like David said, I'd like to know what test phones y'all have that seem to work perfect.  So you did not see any sync issues, but there are multiple others that have reported sync issues.  What accounts did you test with, did you specifically setup a Facebook for SocialHub account?  Was it able to sync your calendar? The only thing that will show up on mine is US Holidays, no birthdays or anything.  This only fuels the frustration considering I came from a HTC phone that did not have these issues, even after the ICS update.

"Somewhat thorough testing is conducted"  WOW, no wonder we're always shafted with issues!  This is basically saying you don't really test.  As noted before, Sprint typically takes a few weeks to months longer than everyone else to get updates out, so what the hell are they doing for the extra time it takes them to release an update? Maybe they should stop trying to load it up with all their own custom apps (bloatware), make those an optional install.  There should be rigorous (again RIGOROUS) testing conducted to ensure these kind of issues are discovered, especially with major changes like this where it's a totally different build.  Just turning a phone on and taking 5 minutes to see if it will stay on, make a call, or route to a webpage, which is the impression I get of what's actually being done, doesn't cut it.  If it was a simple update to the same firmware/software I could maybe understand "somewhat thorough" testing, but that's not the case.  I am further and further disappointed with Sprint's business practice the longer I stay with them.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Here's a couple more bountiful threads with issues... IMO awesome input from mlbp.  I find it hard to believe Sprint can't admit to there being known issues with the ICS update when their own forum is teeming with users input on issues they've experienced. 

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/94318?start=0&tstart=0

http://community.sprint.com/baw/thread/93257?start=360&tstart=0

This thread contains reports of data roaming issue I described earlier...

http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/448529#448529

Highlighted
Journeyman

I upgraded my Epic 4g Touch last week and have had no problems, save one. I am not experiencing the battery drain (actually better than Gingerbread) or any of the other issues listed. The only problem that I seem to be having is that the GPS does not seem to lock on. This is the only issue that I seem to be having. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks for the help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

HebertLD wrote:

I upgraded my Epic 4g Touch last week and have had no problems, save one. I am not experiencing the battery drain (actually better than Gingerbread) or any of the other issues listed. The only problem that I seem to be having is that the GPS does not seem to lock on. This is the only issue that I seem to be having. Any suggestions anyone? Thanks for the help.

I'm curious what hardware version you're on, if you look under Settings-About Phone at the bottom?  I'm on D710.10

Highlighted
Journeyman

I updated my phone and I instanty noticed that after my phone being off the charger for an hour the battery life had significantly decreased. Also I cannot get service anywhere. I used to get service almost anywhere, now I am constantly having to turn my phone to airplane mode and then turning it off to find service again. Also internet and facebook connections suck, I am constantly being told that webpages are not available to me. Also, when I am typing out something on my phone it takes forever to register what I am trying to type and freezes on me. I really don't care for this update and I wish a new one would come out because at this point I really cannot do much with my phone because the lack of battery life and service.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have notcied that my data speeds are nowhere near the advertized amount anymore. In fact, I'm getting 2G speeds on 3G. I held an iPhone, my Epic Touch and an EVO 4g next to each other and did a speed test. My Epic Touch had both download and upload speeds of less than 100Kbps. The evo and iPhone had speeds around 1Mbps...

Poor battery life

New Dialer is idiotic

More force closes.

This is absolutely ridiculous. Is Sprint doing anything to address this issue? I tried calling customer support but they were utterly unhelpful and not at all knowledgable.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat