Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community Registration currently closed. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Journeyman

David71a wrote:

I received the FI27 update also. Like you my phone's battery is still horrible, the phone locks up, sometimes reboots by itself. As of now, I am thinking the best plan is to eat the ETF, get the Nexus 4 and go prepaid.

That's the problem.  I can't afford the ETF, and even if i could, i refuse to pay to terminate service that is the fault of the carrier and the carrier ONLY.

"Thanks for completely screwing up my phones, here's $350!"

Yeah.... no.  That's not happening, and i'll go to ANY lengths to make sure it doesn't happen.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there a way to roll back these updates and get it back to Gingerbread?

I am willing to do that, to save my battery.  I see so many battery drain issues on  here.  And i'm seeing that some batteries are completely messing up, - getting bulges in them.  What is going on?  What a coincedence, we get an update and now everyone has issues.

I think it's pretty serious.  The customer is not at fault here.  We were all sent update notifications stating improvements, but this is making the device worse.  It's a battery draining issue.  We can't use our phones and this can become a safety issue if a person depends on their device.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had a rep say he could return to me to gingerbread, however, you will have to deal with the most obtrusive update pop-up ever.  I heard bad things from my friends about this newest patch, and so I didn't install it.  It pops up every 5ish minutes, no matter what you're doing on the phone, even when watching a movie on netflix or banking on the banking app.  It is really annoying.

If I had to put up with that for them to put me on the "original" Sprint gingerbread, then I would just prefer to flash CM9/CM10 or whatever and be done with it.  The process seemed complicated enough such that I didn't really want to go that route, but I see little other choice. Other than to ebay the phone and ditch Sprint all together, which I've been very tempted to do as of late, since my wife needs an new phone and now, more than ever, I've incredibly reluctant to add any time to my jail sentence, I mean contract.  I think lifehacker.com has it right and it's just better to buy unsubsidised phones, like the nexus 4, and just go with pre-paid plans or whatnot.  They end up being much cheaper in the long run, and it's easy to bail on it if something like this happens.

Sprint keeps making too many mistakes. I know it's not the phone because my friends on other carriers with the same phone on ICS don't have these problems.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Is there anyone from Sprint watching this thread?  The issues aren't stopping, they're getting worse. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Concealer,

Believe me they have been listening.  Short of the battery problems the JB builds have been ROCK solid - what ICS should have been.

Since they moved from FK23 to FL04 the schedule looks to be bumped back 1-2 weeks so it may not roll out until Christmas.

Hoping they'll try to push that and start OTA next week though.

Note: This is all speculation, I haven't heard anything on timeframes for OTA.

But all activity stopped after FL04 which is a dead ringer for OTA usually.

Highlighted
Journeyman

garwynn wrote:

Concealer,

Believe me they have been listening.  Short of the battery problems the JB builds have been ROCK solid - what ICS should have been.

Since they moved from FK23 to FL04 the schedule looks to be bumped back 1-2 weeks so it may not roll out until Christmas.

Hoping they'll try to push that and start OTA next week though.

Note: This is all speculation, I haven't heard anything on timeframes for OTA.

But all activity stopped after FL04 which is a dead ringer for OTA usually.

I don't really know what that all means to be quite honest.  All i know is that i'm still on ICS, the network is unusable, my battery life is unacceptable, and Sprint has refused to do anything about it.

Even if i'm still with Sprint when JB comes out and it blows me away, i still paid full price every month leading up to that for absolutely horrendous service.  I feel used.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Alright, I'll atempt to share my frustrations with Sprint regarding the ICS update disaster. I've read so many of your responses and identify with most of the problems presented in this thread and others.

Back in mid-October, I decided to make a visit to the Sprint store since my E4GT was no longer usable. After receiving the ICS update back in July, the device was experiencing problems daily; ultra-fast battery drain, random and constant settings menu pop-ups, no signal, low signal, no wi-fi, no GPS; I'm sure all of you are familiar with them. Eventually, the phone's sleep/wake button no longer worked. I had to wait for the screen to randomly wake so I could enter security pattern if I wanted to use my phone. As you might guess, this effectively makes a phone useless. Now, I knew a trip to the physical store was in order so that I could "prove" the issues I was having with my phone to a representative. I walk in the store and am assisted by a greeter. He asks me what my reason for visiting is and I proceed to detail the issues listed above. I get the usual, "we're going to have to perform a factory reset". Based on the experiences I had read on here, I knew that this was a futile procedure, but allowed him to do it since I knew it was part of their standard operating procedure when troubleshooting phones. He comes back and tells me the phone is as good as new. I go to press the sleep/wake button. Nothing. He takes a look at it and pretends to act surprised, then asks if I want their technician to open it up and take a look at it. I said sure and he then asks me to wait there. He walks to the back of the store where the tech is seated behind his workdesk and they talk very quietly. I pretend to browse the phones for a bit, then he comes back over to me and says, "looks like the phone's water sensor has changed to red. I will readily admit, I am not delicate with my phones, however, I had a ballistics case on the phone virtually all the time since the day I bought the phone. I had dropped it a couple of times, but never came close to getting it wet. I went over to the tech's desk to look at the water damage. The little white strip that indicates moisture was ever-so-slightly turning reddish-pink in one corner. I began to suspect malpractice. What a perfect situation for them to place a speck of water on the strip, with me browsing their phones and my back turned. I knew there was nothing I could do now, since I had no way to prove the strip was white when I brought the phone in that night. The tech told me I would have to go through Assurion to get my replacement phone (I have insurance) for about $100. I was pretty upset, but figured, $100 and I'll be done with this mess. Maybe they'll even send me a phone that was still running Gingerbread! Wrong.

I go through the Assurion website, filling out the necessary forms and forking over the $100. The phone shows up the very next day. I was ecstatic. I unwrap the new phone and it looks beautiful. I boot it up and immediately notice this thing is running ICS. Not a good start. Despite that, the exterior of the phone appeared to be in pristine shape. It looked better than the one I had just sent back to Assurion, so I took it as a minor victory. Well, about a week later, the real problems set in. Gone is the abysmal batter life, however; it has moved up a notch to mediocre. But in are the random and very frequent random reboots. I cannot stress how unbelievably frustrating these are. I have missed the opportunity to capture several photographs that I will never get a chance at again, not to mention untimely responses to emails, texts, calls, etc. Then I start taking a look at some of the more recent photos I had taken with the new phone. I noticed a giant black speck that appeared to laying directly on the lense. Suddenly, I understood why the camera sounded like it was going to crack when I would take pictures; the lense kept trying to focus on the speck and was stressing the motor. I put off a trip to the Sprint store again, knowing it would probably result in a few more wasted hours and another $100. Three weeks go by before I finally headed back in. I go through the same initial process where I explain my issues, get the factory reset, then the rep asks if the tech can open it up. I don't make the same mistake this time. I follow the rep over to the tech's desk while the rep explains the issue. I recognize the tech as the same one that was there the last time I brought the phone in. I explain to him that he's free to open the phone and that this time I was sure there would be no water damage, seeing as how I had only been in possession of the phone for about a month. He gives me an awkward laugh and tries to toggle on and off the phone a few times. Nothing happens and nobody is surprised. He then wheels his chair around to speak with the store manager (who hadn't said a word to me the whole time). He wheels his chair really close to her and they whisper something so quietly that I couldn't hear a single word when I was only ten feet away. He fiddles with the open phone for a few seconds and then wheels back over to my side of the counter. He points to the water damage indiator and said something along the lines of, "as you can see here, the indicator is starting to turn". Then he explained that I my insurance would once again not cover the replacement cost since it was my fault for getting it wet and that I would have to go through Assurion again. Now, I wasn't able to get a look at the open phone before he whispered with the manager, however, I said something like, "I just saw the indicator before you took it over there and it was completely white". He gets really flustered and starts mumbling things about other possible causes, much like someone who had just been caught in the act. He then tells asks me where I would like to get my replacement phone from, either Spring or Assurion. Wait, I though I was the one that ruined the phone and was responsible for the $100 replacement cost. Anyway, I told him I wanted to go with Sprint this time, since the phone Assurion had sent me was essentially unusable. He clicks on the computer a few times before telling me the item is on backorder and it could take up to 3-5 days for it to ship. I told him I still wanted to go with Sprint. It's been two weeks and I have yet to receive my replacement phone. I understand the phone is supposed to be a refurbished one, but to leave a customer hanging for two weeks, deserves a brand new one, if that's all that's immediately available.

I've written way more than I wanted to, but I wanted to make sure none of you make the same mistake I did. Make sure you ask to watch when any Sprint technician asks permission to open up your phone!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Oooof.... that's sketchy. 

As an unrelated update, kindof...

I unplugged my phone from the charger exactly an hour ago.  (Fully charged.)  I've sent two text messages and drove to work.  (not touching the phone.)

I'm at 52% battery.  I've had 3 different stores now tell me that there's nothing wrong.

I couldn't disagree more.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Concealer404 - Have you tried a battery saver app like Battery Defender or Juice?  I use Battery Defender and it helps a lot.  I know we shouldn't HAVE to use an app just to have normal battery usage but at this point we all need to do what we can to make our phones semi-functional.  I can't even express how disappointed I am in Sprint for basically allowing a great phone to get so messed up and then basically denying that they are messed up. 

As for me....my MAIN problem now is the fact that I seem to lose all functionality at times.   I will go to pull open a web page and I will get the "page not found"  or "no connection" error messages regardless of what page I try to bring up.  Clearing my cache doesn't help.  And, I could be out and about, using 3G (which clearly indicates that I SHOULD have a connection) or I could be at home on my wireless....it doesn't matter.  Neither wireless or 3G will work when this happens.  Consequently, when this happens, I also come to realize that I am not receiving text messages or calls.  The only way to get connectivity, texting, and calling back is to reboot my phone.  The thing about this is that I don't realize I am not receiving calls and messages until I either try to get a web connection and can't or I try to send a text and it fails.  This is HUGE for me as the #1 reason I have my phone is to stay in touch with my teenage kids.  However, there have been several times now where they've texted me important information about where they are or are going to be or questions asking to do something or go somewhere and I DON'T RECEIVE the message.  Just the other night, I was getting worried because my son was not home after band practice when he should have been.  So, I text him to ask where he is.  Sending that text failed and I immediately knew my phone was not working once again.  So, I rebooted.  And, what do you know....here come a ton of messages that I should have gotten over the last several hours, including two from my son asking if he could go eat with friends.  He told me he sent me those two messages plus tried to call me.  BTW, when this happens my calls don't even go to voicemail.  They just don't show up at all.  The won't show as a missed call on my phone but my son's phone will show that he tried to call and I didn't answer.   I can't even count the number of times this has happened.  It's very annoying and sometimes important stuff is getting missed.  What point is it for me to pay for a phone that doesn't even do the basic job of a phone?  I mean forget the "smart" phone part.....half the time just the PHONE (calling/texting) isn't working.  This is my hugest problem.  Oh, and yes, I thought maybe the battery saver app I use was causing this so I disabled it for a few days.  It did not help.  This still happened and all I got for my efforts was a battery that drained faster.  

And, no I have not taken it into the store because I know if I do, the only thing they will do is reset my phone.  And, I've been reluctant to even try that because I haven't seen one person say that a reset has helped.  Plus, I've read about so many more problems than what I already have that I'm scared to death that rather than fixing my phone resetting will actually make it worse.  When someone can tell me that they know resetting will help, I will more than gladly do it.  Until then, I'm avoiding that.

Highlighted
Journeyman

tngrl99,

I've tried both those apps, didn't really help.  I'm good about not keeping processes running in the background in the first place, so that didn't really surprise me.

I get the failing texts and connections constantly as well.  I also data roam about 50% of the time, and i live in the middle of a major metropolitan area.

In fact, i was driving around the city yesterday with a friend running errands, he has an Evo 4G something or other on the Sprint network, and while he has FULL BARS for 3G, my phone is data roaming with no signal at all.  At this point, the phones are sitting right next to each other on the center console of the truck.

REALLY?

These phones are completely screwed up and it's absolutely disgusting that nobody will do anything about it.

Highlighted
Journeyman

And as usual, been trying to upload a picture to Picasa for the last two days.  "Failed Service Error."

Hey Sprint, why is my service failing?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Anyone else now having an issue with their battery meter not even showing up?

Soooo.... now i just get to guess when my phone is going to die?

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat