cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

Highlighted
Journeyman

Post Your Samsung Epic 4G Touch Ice Cream Sandwich Update Problems Here

If there is not already one is existence, I would like to compile a list of problems current Epic 4G Touch users who have updated to Ice Cream Sandwich software from the recent (within 1.5 weeks of today, 7/18/12) Sprint software push (not rooted ROMS, nor manual updates please). These problems should only be ones which have to come to light after the update, meaning the feature/app/etc worked prior to updating, but no longer functions correctly after the update. Please adhere to the following:

-Be as specific as possible about the issue being experienced

-List only problems that you can replicate

-General location (Eg. Zip code 08817, Northern NJ, etc.) if you'd like

Example:

Zipcode 08817, Here are my problems so far:

1. MHL to HDMI output is no longer functioning. Both the phone and the television recognize an HDMI connection, but the image(s) and audio on my phone are not mirrored on my television as they are supposed to. There is only a black screen shown on my television.

2. 4G connection doesn't allow for Youtube videos to play anymore. The connection is always dropped before any part of the video starts playing.

3. Application opening and closing isn't as smooth as as they were with Gingerbread.

I'd like to get a comprehensive list of problems people are experiencing due to this revent update because I'd like some accountablility for these problems. I've attempted to contact Sprint, Samsung, and Google with these issues, and not one of them is holding themselves accountable for these issues. We are all customers paying for these services, and something should be done upon immediate notification of these problems to satisfy us as consumers, in addition to giving people who may be unaware of the bad changes that have/can occur by updating. Please keep this thread to PROBLEMS only, as I have described above, in order to make it easier for me to compile the problems into one comprehensive list. Thank you everyone for your input and help.

430 REPLIES 430
Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 wrote:

So far I have seen no announcements as an "acknowledgement" of a problem because the developers are still looking into complaints from the update. since not all users are reporting this there is an underlying cause that they would have to be able to duplicate before they could propose a solution. I will post back with any detail that I see.

RC10242:

Can Sprint use MY phone as an example of poor battery life?  I will let them use it for the day (or 3 to 4 hours since that is all it will last with normal use) so they can experience the battery drain in a real life situation. 

I unplug at 8:00 a.m., and by the time I get to work at 9:30 a.m., the battery is already down to 60%.  Isn't there away to run diagnostics and determine exactly which apps/settings are draining battery at an alarming rate in 99% of the E4GT users' phones? 

Obviously we all have different apps/configurations, but there HAS to be an underlying problem that is consistent with every handset.  I thought Ice Cream Sandwich was supposed to IMPROVE battery life by making the phone more efficient.  This ICS garbage is way worse on battery drain than Android 2.1 Eclair on my HTC Hero. 

I have GPS OFF. 

I have Sync OFF. 

I have WiFi OFF. 

I have 4G OFF.

I have the Brightness at the lowest setting.

Heck, I can turn 3G OFF, AND enable airplane mode (no internet connection) and the battery still drains at an alarming rate.

*** (Don't even get me started on the poor poor poor #g and 4G data speeds...I mean at 9:39 a.m. this morning, I ran speed tests for 3G and 4G at the corner of Santa Monica Blvd and Sepulveda, in the middle of West Los Angeles (standing outside), and 3G speeds were 0.41 Mbps download and 0.36 Mbps upload...and 4G was 0.62 Mbps download and 1.35 Mbps upload.  Neither of those even qualify for what the standard is for 3G [3G requires a minimum data rate of 2 Mbit/s for stationary or walking users and 4G requires a network capable of download speeds of 100 megabits per second (Mbps)]...0.62 Mbps is NOT even close to 100 Mbps...)

How does a Samsung E4GT with NO internet connection, NO (0) text messages sent, NO Email checks, NO web browsing, NO web searches, NO facebook updates, NO tweets, NO check ins, NO picture viewing, NO youtube watching, NO music playing and NO games being played still only last 3-4 hours??? 

This same handset on Android 2.3.6 Gingerbread, the same settings would last all day.  I could have 3G on all day, use 4G (when available), have Sync on all day, have GPS on all day, Brightness on Auto, and send tons of texts, check my email frequently, check facebook occasionally, check TweetDeck for Twitter feeds, play Words with Friends all day long, and I would still have 60% battery life after 3-4 hours.

I even went out and purchased a new battery and the new battery has the same battery drain issue. 

Also, along the same lives as battery drain, the battery level drops like 30-35% after a restart.  I restart the phone at 90% and when it starts up again, the battery is at 55-60%. Booting up a phone shouldn't drain the battery 30%.

Highlighted
Journeyman

DieTrying007 wrote:

I recieved the update to ICS a couple of days ago and here are the issues I've been experiencing :

1 - Like everyone else, I immediately noticed a huge decrease in battery life after the update.

2 - I am no longer able to access video playback through the internet browser.

3 - Running into slowdown and occasional freezing when moving from the unlock screen or when entering/exiting applications.

4 - All of my merged contacts were unmerged by the ICS update and all of the contact portraits imported from FB have been replaced by the stock silhouette portrait.

5 - Loss of both 3g and 4g data connectivity in places where before I consistently had access.  (for example, in my office I would always at least have 3g access but after the ICS update I have no signal whatsoever)

I certainly hope these issues are resolved soon as ICS has rendered an awesome device nigh on unusable for me. 

I was also informed by the dev team at Handcent SMS that the ICS update now blocks Facebook contact pictures from 3rd party apps like Handcent SMS, so you no longer can have your friends' contact pictures from Facebook in those 3rd party apps.  Handcent is working on a work around, for those of you who use Handcent SMS.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Clearing the cache and performing a factory reset has helped my battery issues (doesn't seem to work for everyone).  It is still no where near GB but I can make it through a work day of medium use.  I do have to charge the moment I get home as it is flashing the charge symbol.  (Clearing the cache took the android OS from the top spot of using up battery)

As I said a few pages back I have had a few issues, through hours of research I have found fixes or band-aids for most of them however I still have 2 issues that I find unacceptable:

1. Adobe Flash does not work with ICS.  As a simple test I tried to do a mock draft for Yahoo and ESPN fantasy football.  My ICS device with Adobe Flash 11 would not work and ESPNs compatibilty test listed that no flash was installed.  I then tried on my wife's phone (stopped her from doing the update) and it worked no problems.  I understand that Flash is going away but it is not gone yet so there are videos and sites that are unusable that worked just fine on GB. 
  2. 3G/4G/WiFi reception is TERRIBLE.  Speeds are definitly lower then GB.  4g Speed test: 5mb download .5mb upload  3g Speed test: .4md download .4 upload.  

It just trully amazes me that there has been such little if anyone response on all of this.  Seems like Sprint/Samsung is letting the community to the troubleshooting for them.  Maybe some of these people should start sending consulting bills in....

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had battery issues at first also.  What seemed to work for me was to turn the phone off, pull the battery for a min., turn phone back on, let discharge almost fully (below 10%) and then plug in and let fully charge.  This seemed to stop the crazy discharge and the super hot battery that had been occurring after the update.  I read that the battery has to reconfigure itself after a major update such as this.   I also installed Battery Defender (app).  It works GREAT on my phone.  I leave my Wi-fi, GPS, & Bluetooth on always.  I have a live screensaver.  I have my phone set to a fairly bright setting (I just cannot stand the lower settings).  I easily make it a full day with what I guess would be moderate usage....maybe a couple hours of talk, some light texting throughout the day, a few email checks, a game or two of solitaire or the like, and maybe some light browsing and/or checking Facebook.    There are days when I really don't use my phone much at all.....maybe just some light texting now and then.  Usage such as that....I can easily still be at 90% battery at the end of the day.  I've gone 3 days on one charge before since using Battery Defender.   I think it's a great app.  You just have to play with it a bit to customize it to your liking. 

Problems that I am having now:

1.  The last couple days my phone has been restarting itself several times a day.  Actually the day before yesterday, it happened AT LEAST 4 times that I know of for sure.  I don't think it did it at all yesterday.  But, today, it has restarted 3 times in the past few hours.  I'm not sure what is causing it.  Not sure if it is Sprint doing updates or something else.  Is there a way to tell?  Is anyone else dealing with this?

2.  I finally got the SWYPE working by clearing the data but it seems slightly different.  It doesn't put a period at the end of my sentence automatically when I space twice like it used to.  It also refuses to default to a capitol "i" when I only type "I".  It used to...I could just type "i" and it would automatically capitolize it when I spaced but not anymore.  And, it is sometimes laggy now.

3.  The unlock screen lags.

4.  The home "button" also sometimes lags. 

5.  My 4G goes to sleep even while I'm still using it.  Meaning, I have 4G turned on because I am in an area I know has 4G and I am using it to browse the web.  I might be taking some time to read a page or something and when I go to click somewhere else, it just spins....I look and my 4G symbol at the time will have a little zzz next to it.  So, I guess it went to sleep or something.  I haven't seen that before.  I end up having to turn my 4G off and back on to get it to work. 

6.  I lost a few of my apps with the upgrade.  The link/icon to them would be grayed out and would say SD on it.  If you clicked it, it would say app not installed.  I would have to go back into the market and find the app (it would not show up as an app I had installed before) and reinstall it. 

7.  My texting fails now and then. I try to send someone a text and it will come back failed no matter how many times I try.  I restart the phone and then it will work. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

A review of FH13. Looks like Sprint / Samsung is working on an update. From August 13.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-1FoUQMT_Q&feature=em-uploademail&ytsession=ZEKLlU_kjHa3fTDNqp584PpP...

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello SSHERMES7, Unfortunately the Developers have no way to use your phone for a day, but thank you for offering. You didn’t mention which types of email or sync accounts you have setup. Do you leave Bluetooth on, or off? Have you disabled any applications in settings > applications? Have you adjusted the backlight in settings, in browser, or in both? Did you complete a factory restore after updating?

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024, can you comment on the FH13 leak? Can you share what is in the change log?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

SaraNH, have you tried to use the music app to rule out browse/flash problems? Does the phone feel warm at all while this is happening? which protocols are used by your car stereo with your phone?

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

No, We are not apprised of any software that has not been released and announced as such.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Since I have downloaded ICS when my battary gets to about 50% it will shut off and will not come back on unless plugged into wall

Highlighted
Journeyman

RC1024 - I am having the same problems as SarahNH.  I had all of the other problems as well but wiping cache fixed those.  The phone reboots after being connected to bluetooth after 15 minutes using pandora, music player and using nothing at all just synced.  This issue did not happen before the update.  My car stereo uses bluetooth ver. 2.1 + EDR. zip code is 96706 if that helps.  let me know if you need any other info.  There are no rock stations on Oahu and a lot of traffic, so this phone is very important.  Phone is not any hotter than normal, so not rebooting from that.  I can ply music using pandora  with no problems thru the 3.5 jack even in the car.  Seems to be just the blutooth sync that causes the reboot.

Thanks

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

Hello bds2005, if you have tried all of the normal troubleshooting then having the phone tested in store would be the best choice to try getting past this.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat