cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Menu Screen Activation

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Random Menu Screen Activation

I have also been having this problem often and am really agravated at this point. I have taken it to a Sprint repair facility and they blamed my apps, although it did it before the apps and continues to do it after a complete factory reset. I have contacted Samsung's Galaxy specific helpline and they have been less than helpfull. My phone has been sent to the samsung "repair" facility twice. The first time they put a charge port into it, no help. The second time they updated software for the PRL but that didn't help either. Both times after I recieved the phone back the next day it was still doing it. I don't want to send my phone again for another 2 weeks and have it come back with the same problem. As everyone else says its with low signal. 2 bars usually. Of course I have low signal at home and at work so it constantly does it. Unlike most others I believe it to be a hardware issue though. My research through other forums seams that people with rooted phones and custom roms are having the same issue.

Shane if you send me logging instructions I will send you some more logs.

Highlighted
Wizard

I've received reports of it occurring with good signal as well, I know it's frustrating, I'm hoping these additional logs will give us a better chance of discovering the cause. I'm sending you a PM now.

Journeyman

Hello Shane, I also requested a PM so that I can too participate in providing logs of this annoying situation. 

Wizard

MsHope812 wrote:

Hello Shane, I also requested a PM so that I can too participate in providing logs of this annoying situation. 

I'm sorry, I'm sending you one now as well. Thanks!

Journeyman

Thank you Shane but after speaking with a few Sprint CSR's and Radio Shack Tech support.  I was told it was a hardware issue and had to switch it out so now I have a new one and thank goodness no random menu pop ups.  Thanks again.

Journeyman

OMG i FINALLY had enough and decided to come over here and see if this is happening to anyone else. This happens to me all the time. I dont see any correllation to low signal areas either. this will 100% happen when navigation is running and a lot of other times it will happen what seems to be randomly. I havent taken it to sprint because it doesnt happen all the time, but enough for me to curse out my phone.

What do I do, just take it into sprint and tell them what is happening? I dont know if I can get it to do it on command. I too think it is a hardware issue.

Journeyman

Hi t-bags.  I was told it's a hardware issue and the only thing that can be done is to swap it out for another GS2.  That's what I did with mine on Saturday and now I'm a much happier camper.  Hope this helps.

Journeyman

I would gladly swap my phone out for one that doesnt keep freaking out from the menu from time to time. Mine is so sporadic though that i am wondering if I go into the store if they know of the issue so I dont have to wait until it happens to take it in.

Journeyman

Nope.  When I first received it, I took it home and it was doing it so I took it back the next day and they did a factory reset on it but it continued to do it after the reset so I called in and they told me if it was still happening after a hard reset, it was a hardware issue.  I'm sure the tech doesn't have to actually see the popping up.  You could call them first, tell them what's happening and have them put in a ticket then take it to the Sprint store.

Journeyman

Hear I've been thinking for 2 months that it was just me.  I started with the Evo in June and had to replace it twice because of poor service - switched to this phone and had this issue start, swapped it once and then my initial 2 weeks hit.  I've been putting up with this and poor signal for almost 2 months and about to give up.  Have been a Sprint customer for longer than I can remember - only cell provider I've ever used.  Now I'm being asked to pay $72 activation fees for mine and my husband's new smart phones that we got in June and after the 4 phones I went through in 2 weeks, the constant poor signal, the numerous, long and unsatisfying phone calls to Sprint about it, I just don't know what to do.  I have a phone that is basically useless most of the day and work in Philadelphia where you'd think I'd have good signal.  But I have this menu popping on and off daily.  It doesn't go berserk like the first one I had, but switching phones didn't help.  I'm having a hard time knowing what to do.  I don't want to pay almost $200 (includes a hot spot) for phones that only work 40% of the time if that, when I ride the train or work next to people with Verizon or AT&T who never have these issues. 

Journeyman

I have had the same issue and it seems to maybe be dirt around the edges of the screen cuz I cleaned it out with a toothpick and it stops until it gets dirty again...  Then again, maybe I'm off base? A PM would be really helpful please! :-)

Journeyman

I'm getting the same issue.  I purchased my Epic in about April and returned it for a new (not refurbished) Epic about 3 weeks ago now due to a headset jack issue.

The same night I received the new Epic, I received the ICS update (along with it's fun bag of issues - almost no connectivity, low battery etc.).

Since then I've been getting the random menu pop-ups.  I don't even have to be doing anything, if it's on the home screen sitting on the desk, it will pop a menu.  It spazzes out worse when I am trying in vain to do anything on the internet.

Did multiple soft resets.  Cleared the cache upon start up. Nothing helped.

Spent 1.5 hours at the Sprint store on Monday 08/13 - they did a hard reset on the phone and reinstalled ICS assuming the problem was that GB had not been completely removed.  Got it home, and first app I tried to install = menu insanity.

Spent 2 hours at Sprint store on Tuesday 08/14 - they did another hard reset and downgraded me back to GB.  Same deal, arrived home, started reinstalling apps and menu, menu, menumenumenumenu.  I hadn't turned off the "vibrate on key touch" feature last night and even when it was not displaying the menu, it would randomly vibrate like it was trying to.

Still occurring today at work.  Menu's are still popping up though not as frequently.  I think I have WORSE connectivity than I did with ICS before the downgrade (I've gotten all of one webpage to fully load), so I've tossed it in the corner and am staring at it angrily.

I work full time, and am a student part time, with a household to run.  I can't keep wasting 2 hours a night at Sprint after work.  It's a brand new phone - it's the second brand new phone I've had in 4 months - what can I do? 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat