cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Menu Screen Activation

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Random Menu Screen Activation

Ok so I have an update. I took my phone to sprint. The reps there said that they had heard of this issue but hadnt seen it (which is odd). I told them that some people have thought it as an effect of low service area. Recently I had been taking note and it did seem that this was one of the triggers to cause that menu popping up. I told the techs that this happened months ago, when I first got the phone and has occured since the ICS update. They took my phone and I came back an hour later. Of course they did the hardware reset and said that they were still seeing the same error reports (so apparently this is being archived in a log somewhere) so they replaced my phone's screen with one they had. After they replaced the screen they were no longer seeing that error reported. I got all the way home when I realized the new screen was dead on the left side, so I drove it all the way back and they swapped out a different screen and its been good since then (a total of 4 days). They told me if that doesnt stop the menu then they would order me a replacement phone.

While sometimes the menu buttons take a half second longer to activate during some programs I have not seen the same menu screen freakouts. My guess would be to print out this forum and take it along with your phone to sprint and tell them its NOT a software uissue and you need either a new screen or new phone.

Highlighted
Wizard

I'm going to be sending PM's to some of the people who have sent me PM's in the past with this for request for additional information our device group is looking for, but if anyone else experiences this please send me a PM with the subject line, "Random Menu Key activation" or something of that nature please.

Journeyman

My white epic touch is going crazy with random menu popups whenever it switches from wifi to 3g/4g and when there is low signal.  I'd like to know what the solution was if there was one.  Thanks.  

Journeyman

can you do that for me my phone started that menu popping up but the sprint store doesnt see this happening so they say theres nothing wrong with the phone it des it when im on 3g so i keep it on wifi all of the time im tired of this i even demaned another phone not happenung on sprints end

Journeyman

hey ive been having the same problem with the menu popping up all of the time on 3g i have to stay on wifi just to use my phone its getting ridiculus ive dont a factory reset still it comes back im on ends wits here my friend has a black one hers desnt do it the sprint store thinks im crazy

Journeyman

I am still having this issue too.  1 year and counting. 

Journeyman

i have 3 epic touch 1 black and 2 white zero problems on the black, but the menu popups are annoying on the white

Journeyman

Also having this problem along with poor signal/roaming loss of data signal. already did PRL update and took phone in for diagnostics. no help from any of these

Journeyman

i had a problem with this for a few days that went away after i did two things.. first, and i am not sure of the effectiveness of this, i cleaned the edges of the screen out with a very sharp-tipped knife, next i did a hard reset and started fresh with an empty microSD card. haven't had a single problem since, other than shorter battery life, but i tgink that has more to do with the fact that ICS is way more power-hungry than Gingerbread...

Journeyman

Thanks I will try that.

Journeyman

I, too have this problem.  I originally thought it was an issue wih my Otterbox, but I have confirmed that the device does this without any protective add-ons-- absolutely naked, still getting repetitive menu-screen popups and associated vibrate.

I do not wnat to send this phone out for repair/replacement (it is only a month and a half old) if doing so will not fix the problem.

Journeyman

I can't say whether the low bars thing is relevant or not, I have low bars everywhere I go...

With that said, I tried putting the device into Airplane mode and the problem seemed to cease.

I will continue to experiment in this-- I will wait until the symptom is persistent and try again; see if the activity stops.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat