cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Random Menu Screen Activation

Go to solution
Journeyman

Re: Random Menu Screen Activation

I have seen the problem occur with three and four bars visible, but again, I have very spotty covereage where I am at, so it may be that I am seeing four bars, but the signal is fluctuating and/or there is ambient RF noise causing issues-- I am situated near an airport.

Setting the phone to airplane mode does seem to fix the issue... unfortunately, some tasks absolutely require the phone to be able to transmit and receive.

Journeyman

I have found this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1551580 which indicates that it is actually a hardware problem.

It might be masked by software, but if this is actually a hardware issue, then I fear we are stuck with it, since it is highly unlikely that either Sprint nor Samsung will be willing to issue something along the lines of a recall to rectify the situation.

If Sprint could confirm that this is the problem specifically with the Epic 4G Touch, then at least we have a solid answer. I have access to the facilities (and the skills) required to add the capacitors, and I'm sure it would take little effort to find and acquire the proper components, however, I am a rare case...

Journeyman

I have the same problem..about 10 days ago I received a fimware upgrade notice, and since then the phone has been acting crazy.. like others described, as if I'm touching the bottom buttons, though I'm not.. it happens when I'm not plugged to any charger or computer, in low signal and good.. the only change is the latest firmware update.

Journeyman

I have the same problem..about 10 days ago I received a fimware upgrade notice, and since then the phone has been acting crazy.. like others described, as if I'm touching the bottom buttons, though I'm not.. it happens when I'm not plugged to any charger or computer, in low signal and good.. the only change is the latest firmware update and Samsung Software update

Journeyman

I have the same problem..about 10 days ago I received a fimware upgrade notice, and since then the phone has been acting crazy.. like others described, as if I'm touching the bottom buttons, though I'm not.. it happens when I'm not plugged to any charger or computer, in low signal and good.. the only change is the latest firmware update and Samsung Software update

Master

DarkAvionics wrote:

I have found this post: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1551580 which indicates that it is actually a hardware problem.

It might be masked by software, but if this is actually a hardware issue, then I fear we are stuck with it, since it is highly unlikely that either Sprint nor Samsung will be willing to issue something along the lines of a recall to rectify the situation.

If Sprint could confirm that this is the problem specifically with the Epic 4G Touch, then at least we have a solid answer. I have access to the facilities (and the skills) required to add the capacitors, and I'm sure it would take little effort to find and acquire the proper components, however, I am a rare case...

It has already been posted here in the Community previously that there is a known issue with the Menu button activating randomly on some devices, and it is related to a faulty seal in the screen assembly. A service and Repair location can replace the screen if they have stock on hand, or the phone can be exchanged if they do not. Exchange devices will be refurbished. If you are no longer in manufacturer warranty and do not have Sprint's TEP or ESRP protection plans, then the regular $50 fee is waived. If there is any other damage to the device that would preclude the store working on the phone to begin with (i.e. liquid damage, physical damage, etc.) then that would take precedence over the faulty hardware as Samsung would deny the claim anyway, Sprint is just operating as the middleman for this repair/replacement issue.

Journeyman

Sprint should be ashamed of this response. We put up with so much inferiority already with the network, and lack of LTE.  And they blame it on either the customer or samsung, always, even though SPRINT should be affirmatively offering people new phones and acknowledging a large problem in the device SPRINT sold to me in a SPRINT store with a SPRINT plan.

I had to ditch my first and second S2 because of this problem.  FYI, if anyone is wondering, I have never had this happen on the Note 2 and it is so much nicer than the S2.  In case you were thinking of giving up too.  But, you get two more years with Sprint.

Journeyman

I talked to my local sprint store and they said thats not covered in repairs. my phone looks brand new i just dont have the warrenty or sprints protection plans. Is there anything else i can do?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was in your same situation and they did the repair after making me pay $50.  Many other people got the repair for free even with no insurance.

PM "ChristydaGeek" on this board and explain your situation.  She'll call your store and square them away.

Journeyman

I am having the same issues. Wentto Sprint storeandwas told it is a known issueand they order a phone for me but told me orderis on back order. So who knows how long I will have to deal with all the issues. I do have the ESP.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat