Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rapid battery drain after update last week

Go to solution
Highlighted
Journeyman

Rapid battery drain after update last week

I performed the update last week and since then, my phone turned off randomly and restarted (this has stopped....I think) and has had rapid battery drain. It loses roughly 25% in 5 hours when it is in sleep mode . Before this update it would only lose ~8% in 5 hours. I used to be able to get 2 days out of my phone and now I'm lucky to get one full day. Today, my phone is at 38% after only 7 hours. I turned off the connections optimizer which has not helped restore my battery life to normal. I have also tried letting the battery completely die, charge it fully and unplug. I just replaced the battery in late December and my phone is not rooted. Any solutions???? I'm tired of these updates rolling out and my phone being a piece of junk for weeks afterwards.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Rapid battery drain after update last week

A fix that worked for me was to wipe the system cache partition, found in this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/454374#454374

Here is the relevent part that I did:

"To wipe the cache partition, I turned off the phone, did a battery pull, then started the phone back up while holding the power button and the "volume up" button at the same time until a little Android logo appeared on the screen, followed by a safe mode-type menu. I selected "Wipe cache partition" and the phone performed that action and rebooted itself. Short of having to re-enter a few passwords in various apps and having to re-add my home screen widgets, there were no negative consequences to doing the cache wipe."

Hope this helps you and others! 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
Highlighted
Journeyman

A fix that worked for me was to wipe the system cache partition, found in this thread: http://community.sprint.com/baw/message/454374#454374

Here is the relevent part that I did:

"To wipe the cache partition, I turned off the phone, did a battery pull, then started the phone back up while holding the power button and the "volume up" button at the same time until a little Android logo appeared on the screen, followed by a safe mode-type menu. I selected "Wipe cache partition" and the phone performed that action and rebooted itself. Short of having to re-enter a few passwords in various apps and having to re-add my home screen widgets, there were no negative consequences to doing the cache wipe."

Hope this helps you and others! 

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks for the response. I'm trying this now and will see if it helps!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thank you!!! I did this to my phone last night, fully charged it since it was almost dead, and now it has been unplugged since 8:30 last night and now it's 10:40 a.m. and I still have 87% battery left. Thank you again!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

That's great!  I am glad it solved your issue.  Maybe Sprint should recommend performing a wipe of the system cache partition after every update! 

Highlighted
Journeyman

i'm going to try this for my issue of 3min battery drain...

i know to reset my phone to factory setting after any update but i was just told to do it from the Settings

i didn't know about that android reset

i just went and bought a new battery thinking it was because i had the phone over a year because my husband got his phone last summer did the update turned off that wifi 4G find thing and his phone hasn't given him any problems

fingers crossed

thanks now why hasn't Sprint updated on like any of thes posts?

i seen so many with the same issue and no response from sprint???

Highlighted
Wizard

C6548204,

Thanks for your post. I apologize that you are experiencing this issues and I am curious to know the outcome once you complete the above suggested troubleshooting steps. In the event this issue gets resolved by simply following the aforementioned steps, I would suggest returning the battery if its proven that wasn't required to fix the issue. Please keep us posted on the outcome, as we are anxious to confirm the fix for the this issue.

Thank You,

DePaul W.

Sprint Social Care Team

Highlighted
Journeyman

Did this and my phone still drains the battery and randomly shuts down after flickering of the screen.

These issues coupled with the responses we get when we go to a Sprint store are really going to lose customers for Sprint. I for one will jump ship as soon as my contract is up.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat