cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ring Lag - Only get 14 seconds to answer the phone

Highlighted
Journeyman

I have a brand new Samsung Epic 4G Touch that I have linked up through Google Voice. 

My only gripe with the phone has to do with serious ring lag.  The person calling me will hear 2 to 3 solid rings before my phone even begins to alert me to a call.  My phone only starts to sound the ringtone after 14 seconds have elapsed, and then it will go to voicemail at exactly 28 seconds.  This leaves me with 14 seconds to realize that I am getting a call, fish my phone out of my pocket or backpack, and successfully manipulate the Accept Call swipe.  I *always* miss my calls.

I have changed every possible Google Voice setting and nothing changes.

How can I get either Sprint or the Epic 4G Touch to either lengthen the ring time or eliminate the lag?

4 REPLIES

I'm not sure what the answer is but my phone doesn't have this lag like my evo did.  It was one of the first things I checked for when I got it.

Wizard

actually 14 seconds seems like an eternity!  count it out.

You'll probably get this sort of reply from Sprint CSR peoples (I have no affiliation with Sprint), but that's just how some CDMA phones work sometimes.  It depends on the tower that you're connected to, it depends on the area of coverage you're in, etc. etc.  So far, I think this one has been better than my Evo just like rick.spencer sees, BUT it will be variable.  Google Voice doesn't really change this much.

Wizard

sorry, what I meant to add was that CDMA constantly pings or listens to the towers instead of GSM which pushes the call/data to you.  that's a really watered down version of it all, but that's pretty much why CDMA phones always come with larger batteries and get worse life.  So it depends on where you are in that cycle to when the call shows up on your phone.

Journeyman

Re: Ring Lag - Only get 14 seconds to answer the phone

I'm not the kind of person who is always tethered to their phone.  It's usually deep in a pocket somewhere.  14 seconds may be plenty for some people, but not for me.  It would be nice if it were configurable.

However, I will note that I repeated my tests from a completely different location and found more favorable results.  From this new location the caller hears 2 solid rings before my cell phone starts alerting.  And my ringtone plays all the way through one time... which is exactly 20 seconds.  That seemed adequate.  So it DOES appear that location (and possibly connection strength) matters.

Cheers.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat