cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Roaming Data quirk - and work around. This should be addressed.

Highlighted
Wizard

I found this particularly frustrating but found a solution on Android Central's forums and thought I would post here as well in case people have the same issue:

For some reason, the SGSIIE4GT is not set to automatically roam for data (or at least mine wasn't), nor does it particularly like to roam for data.  You'll get this triangle that says you've lost data connection due to roaming. 

If you go into your Roaming settings (Menu, Settings, Wireless and Network, Roaming, then Roaming Settings), you need to toggle the voice and data for Domestic off and then toggle the DATA one on first, it will also check the voice one.  If you do the voice first, then check data, the data still won't connect.  You HAVE to check the data box first and accept the message that you will incur more charges....because it doesn't matter on the Sprint plans if you are roaming or not.  Then when you start to data roam, the phone will AGAIN ask you if you want to roam for data, select yes and then you're set to go.  You should also go into that Roam Guard section and uncheck the roam guard.

Sprint/Samsung should address this in an upcoming MR.  They should have the default settings be to allow roaming without roaming guard on.  I think you'll have a lot of users that won't be able to figure out the toggling situation with data first before voice and will be very pis.sed off that they can't roam for data.  I toggled on voice roaming several times and became quite frustrated because it checks the data box, but then nothing happens on the data end.

15 REPLIES
Master

Thanks for pointing this out. 

Also remember that no matter what plan you have the maximum amount of roaming data available per month is 300 megabytes...and the maximum number of minutes while romaing is 800.

-John

robotaholic - I respectfully disagree about the limit of roaming data available no matter what plan - please see below as this is taken directly from my account just now. I am not saying that if someone is consistently roaming that Sprint will keep the customer (they will release them from their contract) but my account states "unlimited" for Data Roaming.

I purchased the Epic 4GT on 9/19 and I have not had data coverage when I roam and thought I had gone through the menu to have data roaming - apparently I didn't do it right and will follow the above steps - thanks mmark27!!

Sprint 3G Data Roaming - 09/19 to current (XXXXXXXXXXXX) -

Used
0KB / Unlimited
Remaining
Unlimited

I think this would be an "implied" contract detail since it is not an actual agreement between parties. 

Wizard

Domestic data roaming is definitely limited to 300MB on all our plans. I'm not sure why your usage summary does not reflect this limit. Once you reach 300MB of usage in a given month, the data roaming service for that line will be suspended until your next billing cycle.

DONALIEN - I am just saying that it does not state a limit in the data roaming in my account and I know that it always says unlimited - I have had the current plan since February 2010 (a Sprint customer for 11 years).

Journeyman

My usage summary also reflects unlimited roaming. 

Master

I didn't mean to cause a problem regarding roaming and I do apologize if I have.  The best way to explain that roaming data and voice is limited would be on the customer agreement:

http://shop2.sprint.com/en/legal/legal_terms_privacy_popup.shtml

The relevent paragraph is:

Off-network Roaming: The primary use of your Device must be for domestic purposes within the Sprint-owned network. Domestic means use in the 50 United States and U.S. Territories (except Guam). Sprint reserves the right, without notice, to deny, terminate, modify, disconnect or suspend service if off-network usage in a month exceeds: (1) voice: 800 min. or a majority of minutes; or (2) data: 300 megabytes or a majority of kilobytes. The display on your device may not always be on and will not indicate whether you will incur roaming charges. You can monitor usage online through My Account. Roaming is not available with single-band phones, or to customers who reside or whose primary use is outside an area covered by the Nationwide Sprint Network. Sprint may limit or terminate service if you move outside of the Sprint owned-network.

I hope this helps clear it up and if you are roaming all the time and you live in Sprint coverage, then there is definitely something wrong technically and we should focus on resolving that.

-John

Wizard

I think the fact that it shows unlimited instead of 300MB is because you get throttled at 300MB. Normally, if it were showing a particular number, after that amount of usage is reached, overage would be assessed. With the data roaming, it's not that you plan only includes 300MB of data roaming, but that due to our agreement, you get throttled thereafter. That being said, have any of you ever hit this 300MB cap? I haven't.

Wizard

Ha. It would take an entire year to roam that much with these roaming speeds!

Journeyman

The simple fix for the roaming issue would be to have SPRINT supply an appropriately functioning network on their end so that the phones didn't have to kick into roaming.

Wizard

The Network Vision upgrades we're deploying should help to significantly expand coverage.

http://community.sprint.com/baw/community/buzzaboutwireless/network-and-coverage/blog/2011/09/15/wha...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:30 AM CT - 5:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat