cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 EPIC 4G UPDATED AND RUINED!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

SAMSUNG GALAXY S2 EPIC 4G UPDATED AND RUINED!!

My phone is not "rooted" or anything else that techies talk about.

It is not anything at the moment.

In August the big update came through..........grrr....

Here's what I have recieved from this update in order of occurence as best as I can remember:

immediately following update 4g was gone. I have not been able to connect even once

phone heating up

battery life is severely shortened

wifi weak

programs freezing

msgs and voicemail coming in batches

AND THEN:

PHONE FROZE AND RESET!!

Settings, contacts, Sprint ids, ALL GONE.

gmail, tutorials reset

It was like I just got it but not. The rest of the apps are still there but except for a few they won't open or freeze on opening or most commonly pop up that says it has "stopped working"

So Fine, I dealt with it. Uninstalled and reinstalled apps and some of them work fine.

after that things started going beserk again.

gmail wont sync, then quit opening

other apps start to open then just stop and go back to phones home screen

phone shuts off when some apps open

gives battery alert, but after plug in, shows battery at the real level (from 1/2 to almost full)

EXTREME HEAT coming off the phone, mostly from just above the battery in the back.

Last night it froze, shut off and then restarted and froze on the 4g screen.

Throughout this I have:

taken battery out and put back in: Solved: phone goes from dead to regular off mode(blinking red) turns on normal but sometimes says battery is critically low, then shows 75% as soon as I plug it in.

removed apps (to use less memory)

pressed volume down, home, and power. ( under advisement) Solved: Nothing because when I try tu use any of the options in the menu they all (sub menus) end with no options

removed sd card. Solved: nothing

taken battery out over night Solved: nothing

left it on the 4g screen for extended period of time Soved: nothing!  if not plugged in it just dies after a while. if plugged in it heats up enough to burn you.

Sooo....now what? PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Journeyman

So I started having the same kind of issue with my Samsung Galaxy S2 this past weekend until today, when as long as I kept it charging on my wall outlet....everything was alright.

I think the main issue or message I noticed was something about the "TWLAUNCHER" having difficulties loading or something. Well, I restarted my phone and went directly to my applications, cleared the cache and restarted it again, everything seemed great and all I had to do was set all my screens back to the way I had them with all my apps, but i started having the same problem where my screen would start flickering and then just shutdown. when i turn it back up....it'll say I have a low battery and that I should charge it......I'll charge it and after an hour or so, it'll start doing the same thing. Well, this morning it did it again but when I try and restart it by itself or connected to my wall outlet, it just stays locked at the 4G screen and nothing else. I thought it might be a battery issue but from what I've been reading on most forums, its an ICS issue with samsung phones..............Has anyone had success with a factory reset?? - Is this something I can do myself or should I just take in to a store and have them do it?? - I'd hate to void my warranty by doing it myself!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

glrodgz73 wrote:

So I started having the same kind of issue with my Samsung Galaxy S2 this past weekend until today, when as long as I kept it charging on my wall outlet....everything was alright.

I think the main issue or message I noticed was something about the "TWLAUNCHER" having difficulties loading or something. Well, I restarted my phone and went directly to my applications, cleared the cache and restarted it again, everything seemed great and all I had to do was set all my screens back to the way I had them with all my apps, but i started having the same problem where my screen would start flickering and then just shutdown. when i turn it back up....it'll say I have a low battery and that I should charge it......I'll charge it and after an hour or so, it'll start doing the same thing. Well, this morning it did it again but when I try and restart it by itself or connected to my wall outlet, it just stays locked at the 4G screen and nothing else. I thought it might be a battery issue but from what I've been reading on most forums, its an ICS issue with samsung phones..............Has anyone had success with a factory reset?? - Is this something I can do myself or should I just take in to a store and have them do it?? - I'd hate to void my warranty by doing it myself!!

Skip the factory reset first.  Pull the battery out and try spinning it on a flat surface.  More than likely with what you're saying you have a battery on the way out.... and replacing that will fix most or all of your issues.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Been following this thread. I'm having similar problems. How do you back up the Galaxy 4G?

Highlighted
Journeyman

The only way to "truly" back up an Android device is to install a custom recovery that allows it to be backed up.

There are several out there by a XDA user named Agat63 that will do the job quite nicely.

Don't even need to be rooted unless you want to!

Titanium Backup is also a good app but requires root access.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm in the exact same boat My S2 hates me. I reset it, in every way possible, did everything suggested in this entire thread and my phone still hits the hay.

It freezes, drains the battery, shuts off, reboots itself, loses service, etc. I am not eligible to buy another phone until September, unfortunately. So I'll have to deal with it until then. I'm pretty frustrated with the CS. But when you're in a contract, there's not much you can do unless you want to drop a ton of money, which I can't do at the moment. I ordered a new battery for it. Hopefully this helps a bit. Until September, folks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My power button is broken/unresponsive, but for some reason I can get to the Android system recovery screen by holding the volume up and power button. But once I'm there, because my power button is unresponsive, I can't select anything. Is there a way to use another button to make the selections?

Jazzgirl7777 wrote:

galaxys2broken,

I'm sorry to hear you are still having issues!   I was working with another customer having similar issues.

Can you let me know if you have already Master reset  your device?

If you have not, please follow the steps listed below.  If you have please reply and we will move forward.

Sometimes, not always, the updated version doesn't load correctly causing software glitches within the phone's operating system.  I have had some success by having my customers complete the android recovery reset. Of course you want to ensure that your information is synced/backed up to your computer or application. If  you do not have an SD card, you can sync via your Kies Air application on your device wirelessly to your computer.  If you don't have wifi, you can sync via a USB cable to your computer.   Also if you are not using a 3rd party application to back up sms texts, etc... forward your message to an email address.

Any applications purchased via Google play market you will be able to re-download once you sign into your gmail account.

Any free applications you will need to re-download so I always recommend you record them down for your reference.

When resetting via android recovery:

First remove battery and reinsert battery, however, keeping the device powered off-very important or reset will not work

You then hold down the volume up key

while holding down the volume up key simultaneously hold down the power key

once you see the Galaxy S II image release only the power key

when you access the Android System recover screen release the volume up key

use your volume DOWN key to scroll to wipe data/factory reset

once wipe data/factory reset is highlighted press the power key to confirm

use the volume down key to scroll to yes--delete all user data

with yes--delete all user data highlighted press the power key to confirm

one the wipe is complete with reboot system now highlighted press the power key and your device will power off/on

Please keep me informed!  I look forward to corresponding with you

Jazzgirl7777

Social Care Support

Sunday-Wednesday

9am-2pm

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat