ForumTopicPage
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

STOP! Return this phone if you can! LTE coming mid-2012

Wizard

Without yearly premier upgrades, if you can, return this phone and use your old one for 1 more year! I'm 1 day out of my return, plus I sold my Evo4G :-(.  Oh well, I'll pop the $500 next summer. If anything, at least wait for the Prime!  Overall I'm happy to see these network improvements but mad I'm going to pay a lot for it. AND mad that now my area will never get WiMax since I doubt they'll keep expanding that network...just maintaining the existing network. I want my Premium Data money back!!!!!

26 REPLIES 26
GrandMaster

run down on LTE again? major improvement across the board or only for more populated areas where the more rural areas get shafted?

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Journeyman

That is when it will start so by the end of next year OVER 1 YEAR from now they may have it or not in your area.So why the heck return it now? for what? to wait over a year yet.Mid 2012 is the start of it going out and well into 2013 while 4g still gets added but slow and 3g upgraded.So makes no sense to send back.

Highlighted
Wizard

Well, my advice may have been a bit extreme. 🙂  BUT I had 2 points really.

1. There are no more 12 month premier upgrades, so keeping this phone will ensure that you will have to pay big bucks for a new phone if you want to enjoy LTE speeds before September 2013.... If your area even getting before then. LTE is blazing fast and will have great coverage compared to WiMax.

2. The WiMax build out is over. If you've got it, great. If you don't, like me and never will, you've just bought a phone for 2 years that can only do 3G at absymal speeds that we all pay $10 for premium data. I kept the faith with my Evo4G, went to the BBB, went to the FCC and decided to relent on this terrible $10 charge for 200-400kbps downloads. How can they justify my "premium data"!?!?!

I for one hate getting screwed and its tough because I've recommended numerous Sprint devices and service to my friends and families. I'm just complaining for no reason, they don't care about me and my 4 lines of business that I've had since 1998 here. Honestly, I just hate that Sprint is selling their soul and all of our perks for an Apple product that I can't stand.

GrandMaster

If I remember right at&t runs LTE. Not sure if verizon runs it or not but both of them run great I'm my area compared to sprint. If I'm able to actually use that it would be awesome

I like many others come onto this site for assistance and to help others. Marking a reply as helpful or correct helps others with like issues when they try to search the site for assistance. I do not work for Sprint and my suggestions and or opinions are my own. *************************************************************************************************************
Wizard

They will not be intercompatible. Sprint will use different frequencies.

Journeyman

This may be good advice for you, but it is a bit disingenuous to advise others that they should follow your advice. For instance, I am in a Wi-Max 4G coverage area. Why would I return a perfectly good 4G phone in order to wait nearly a year to purchase an LTE phone and then wait another year for the LTE roll-out to be completed? Simply yelling “STOP! Return this phone…” is misleading and inflammatory.

mmark27_ wrote:

Without yearly premier upgrades, if you can, return this phone and use your old one for 1 more year! I'm 1 day out of my return, plus I sold my Evo4G :-(.  Oh well, I'll pop the $500 next summer. If anything, at least wait for the Prime!  Overall I'm happy to see these network improvements but mad I'm going to pay a lot for it. AND mad that now my area will never get WiMax since I doubt they'll keep expanding that network...just maintaining the existing network. I want my Premium Data money back!!!!!

I would have liked getting this "warning" re: the loss of wimax expansion before I committed to another two years.  I bought the original EVO and have been told repeatedly that its (4g) coming to my area.  Wireless broadband is my only good option where I live so I'm quite disappointed they would sell me a phone I also use use for a Hotspot that will NEVER get 4 g service in my area.  I disagree with the former poster that its "misleading and inflammatory".  I believe the point of this thread is to get Epic owners attention so they can make an informed decision for down the road.  I sure wished someone at Sprint would have let me know this info because now I'm stuck with two year "slow Internet" service.  Just my point of view, Rick

Journeyman

I certainly sympethize with this.  I've been paying the 4G tax for well over a year and also keep getting told by Sprint reps (last time just just 3 days ago) that 4G is coming to my area (Detroit).  Not that it's not going to happen I would think that they would at least give us credit for the "premium data" amount we forked over AND give us a new customer discount on an LTE phone once they become available.

Wizard

It is disingenuous how Sprint is shifting gears for LTE and preparing for it but cutting down the return windows and premier upgrades on the day the Epic 4G Touch was released.  Calling that a coincidence is ridiculous.  It was calculated and I think everyone should be made aware that this phone won't do diddily on the LTE network.  I've been a customer for a long time and have recommended Sprint and high end android phones to almost everyone, but I'm largely stopping that now.  I think people should read the post and putting "STOP" will draw their attention.

Unnplugged wrote:

This may be good advice for you, but it is a bit disingenuous to advise others that they should follow your advice. For instance, I am in a Wi-Max 4G coverage area. Why would I return a perfectly good 4G phone in order to wait nearly a year to purchase an LTE phone and then wait another year for the LTE roll-out to be completed? Simply yelling “STOP! Return this phone…” is misleading and inflammatory.

Journeyman

I was just pointing out that your advice might not apply to everyone. I understand your irritation at Sprint regarding a complete halt to any Wi-Max rollout. It is a complete about-face.

Don't forget that the LTE rollout will take at least one year and up to two years. That is sad because Sprint will be at a competitive disadvantage compared to Verizon and AT&T.

GrandMaster

is the LTE the same deal that theyre talking about with upgrading the 4G network? first there was talk about Rev B.. then that was shot down for whatever the 4G upgrade is...im soo lost now lol.

if they are actually switching to LTE what all current phones can actually use it?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat