cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Jelly Bean Update

Journeyman

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Jelly Bean Update

Any official word on if the Samsung Epic 4G Touch (Galaxy S2) is going to get Jelly bean and how soon? Not a fan of ICS!!

37 REPLIES 37
Wizard

Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Jelly Bean Update

domtiberi,

I did some digging and found no official word on the release of jelly Bean for the Epic Touch. I would keep an eye on newsroom.sprint.com for the latest info on that subject. Sorry for the lack of information.

Sean L

Social Care

Journeyman

http://device.sprintpcs.com/Samsung/SPH-D710/latest

That test build - FL16 - is available through other means than this site.

But please keep in mind it's not an official release meaning approved by Sprint and Samsung.

Journeyman

I have jellybean running on my epic touch 4G also known as the S2 and it runs great. Google now is awesome. So much better then ICS. SO go and get it know. Its not slow but feels a bit snappier and so much more options.

Jan

Journeyman

Where'd you get it from?

Journeyman

Per Sprint links to unofficial builds are not allowed to be placed here.

However, search for FL16 ROM and you'll find it.

Journeyman

garwynn, in regards of jellybean update i checked the lastest build number from sprint and it says FL24 Android OS 4.0.4

So im guessing were not getting jelly bean and they are pushing us back to ICS if you have an answer let me know.

Thanks.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I got the FL16 "elsewhere" and it is a piece of cake to install it. If you are past your 20 months, go for it. You have nothing to lose and lots to gain. FL 16 is solid and reliable and by far the best I've seen on this phone. It corrects all significant issues I've had with Microsoft Exchange Active Sync (to live.com) leaving only one, which is that you can't edit Tasks/Todo on the phone. If you do, your tasks will no  longer synch at all. There is only one way to restore it. Delete your account and add it back .I reported it to Samsung and to my local Sprint Repair Center. This issue exists with the SIII (3) as well.

If Samsung/Sprint decides to revert to ICS, there can only be one explanation. They realized they will keep people from buying the SIII (Samsung) and signing a new 2 year agreement (Sprint).

Ok, well maybe they fixed these things in ICS? Nah!!

So my suggestion is to either get an SIII or just go with the FL16 you can get "elsewhere", as Garwynn has stated.

BTW: My SII (2) currently has no voice service, (I switched to the SIII to evalulate it for ppurchase) but the S2 still has WiFi so I can use it at home to surf, for EMail and Facebook. It has been up for 53 hours and has 50% battery still!!!!

Journeyman

@luis,

All signs are pointing to the 2 step upgrade to JB. FL27 is the JB build to go with FL24.

Journeyman

Do you know what the reason is for a 2 step upgrade?

Journeyman

my understanding about the reason for the 2 step upgrade is to make sure that the date is properly set in a way that can be handled by jelly bean when the second step of the otha is complete. However I do not have any confirmation on this yet so this is based really on speculation an observation from people attempting to do what I call a no data update 2 version FL 16.

Journeyman

Update from my sources:

FL24 also has something else in it - a patch for a major security exploit.

So perhaps they're hoping to knock out two steps at once...

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat