cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Jelly Bean Update

Wizard

Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Jelly Bean Update

Thanks for the info Garwynn!  I gave my wife my E4GT (I went to GS3) but she won't let me root/modify/flash hers again I loosely keep up to date with these threads.  I'm soooo sick of her complaining about issues with the E4GT, I hope they just release this thing soon.

garwynn wrote:

Update from my sources:

FL24 also has something else in it - a patch for a major security exploit.

So perhaps they're hoping to knock out two steps at once...

Journeyman

I have the S3 under evaluation and have hit a show-stopper that has me anxious to see what Sprint will do with the S2.

Here is the dilemma/showstopper I discovered.

PREFACE: I have an Airave at my home. Without it, I would not have service. Now I do live in the "boondocks". 10 miles directly north of Tampa International Airport. Boondocks? Yes, quite PITIFUL that Sprint is so incompetent to not have service for me. My neighbors all have Verizon and have 4 bars.

Anyway, I have an Airave. Well, there is a problem with the S3 and the Airave. It is that if yo set the phone to CDMA/4G LTE, your phone will drop calls while connected to the Airave.

So you say, ok, what's the big deal, just switch to CDMA when you are home.

Fair enough. BUT, you have to remember to do that every time you come and go. And if you leave the phone's handy Connection Manager feature on, the phone will find 4G LTE when you are out and about. And when you get home, or to your office, or any other place where you have a WiFi setup, it will connect to your Wifi router automatically.

It is a very handy feature that you would expect from a device designed to be MOBILE. We have had the MOBILE phone feature for decades so it only makes sense that you would have MOBILE data.

WIth this phone, you need to remember to switch to CDMA only when you are home, or at your office where you have an Airave, or at the hospital in the Doctor's Lounge or you will have spotty or no coverage and dropped calls.

And to switch to CDMA is not just a matter of switching  it on or off. The phone has to reboot.

So every time you come and go from any of the above you have to switch from one mode to another and reboot.

ABSURD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Airave support has confirmed this to be the case (Although Tier 2 Tech Support does not know this)

THey have stated there is no fix as of this time and they are not sure if it can be fixed. They have no plans to have 4G LTE on the Airave as of this time.

SO here we go again. I've not had 4g which I've been paying for, for 3 years. ANd now that they are rolling out 4G-LTE, I am going to have issues with using it.

I am really thinking my best option is to switch to Verizon. But I think I am returning the GS3 because it is not going to work.

Wizard

Just switch to Verizon man. I've seen nothing but trouble with newer phones and airraves. If you don't get service from Sprint at home, just change. Or look at Republic Wireless and their WiFi calling.

Journeyman

I talked to a Sprint repair technician this past week who said that Jellybean is due to be pushed out in February.

Journeyman

I talked to Sprint Customer Service this morning and they confirmed a Jelly Bean update for the Samsung Epic 4G Touch will be rolled out in February...

Highlighted
Journeyman

We are fast running out of February... I hope JB is coming soon. 

Journeyman

Keep hope alive!  I have been running JB on the GS2 for about a month now, and it really is excellent.  And as a side note, it is really not hard to update on your own... I not very technical and I was able to do it without problem, no rooting or restoring needed.

Journeyman

Well it doesn't look like Jelly Bean is happening in February. It's getting predictable though. There is an emphasis by Sprint to push new phones out to get new customers, while the current ones are forgotten. We are committed to our phones for 2 years so either they should give us support we need or give us yearly upgrades. But neither will liikely happen. It's the end result of putting sales before service.

Journeyman

While I agree it is not likely going to be a February release, I would be very surprised if JB is not released for the E4GT.  There are a number of leaks of the upgrade and many people who are already running JB on this phone. 

Beleive me when I tell you, when it does come, it will make your phone almost like new.

As far as selling new phones versus updating old ones, you should talk to someone on Verizon.  I think the Galaxy Nexus on VZ has not yet been updated to the most recent version of JB, so just remember that the grass always looks greener on the other side of the fence.

Journeyman

"Root" Access is in order.

I was not for it until about 3 months ago when I just could/would not put up with Samsung any more.

I wrestled with Email/Contact/Calendar - ToDo Synch problems with MIcrosoft Exchange Active Synch for too long. They fixed most of the issues on the S3 (which proves your theory that all they want to do is sell you new phones. They do not want to fix issues too quickly via software, it is not in their interest to do so. They forced me into the Epic Touch / S2 from the Epic, using this approach after just 16 months. They tried to do the same with the Touch after just 14 months, but I had had it. I said no way, I'm on to you.

I found the updates on the web, downloaded them, followed the instructions which are relatively straight forward (you have to get past their jargon - like for instance they'll ask "Is your phone Rooted?" To me, that is a goofy, embarassing way to ask if you have "Root" level access to your phone, from Root being the Admin securuty level from the Unix/Linux world.

Anyway, I used the utilities available to access my phone the way I needed to, to get the basic features of a "Smart Phone" that Sprint requires me to pay $10/per month to have (it's really a 4G charge, but they changed the terms after the fact because 4G was never available in more than a handful of areas).

The S2 with the updates to 4.1.2 is better than the stock S3 I am using. Samsung knows this so they are intentionally stalling release.

I've now moved on to the S3 because I wanted a 64GB Card in the Phone for .FLAC music (which are huge in comparison to compressed music) but are also CD Quality. 

It is time we all give up on expecting Samsung to release updates as fit their needs. Your phone is a Computer. It is a Personal Productivity Device. Treat it like one. Use it the way it serves you best, rather than the way it serves Samsung best.

Journeyman

I have not had the sort of problems you described with EAS (fortunate? company Exchange configuration difference?), so I can't speak to most of your post, but I did want to point out that the non-CDMA versions of the Galaxy S2 are already on Jelly Bean.  This comes down to carrier-testing and quality assurance, along with feedback to Samsung to correct issues and patch bugs. While it may seem like Samsung has less motivation to update an 'old' phone when they're pushing the GSIII (and the GSIV coming out soon), it's really all about Sprint and their CDMA network.

I have the S2 on Sprint (I'm not going to call it by its marketing name, because it's ridiculous). I have rooted and unrooted, flashed custom ROMs, flashed unofficial updates, all with varying success and drawbacks.  I've been eagerly awaiting a truly official version of Jelly Bean for my phone.  I can understand the frustration of not getting it.  I get it.  But don't chalk it up to Samsung being greedy.  I'm not saying they're not, but even if it's a factor it's likely to be less than 10% of any delay.  The unofficial versions floating around out there signed by Samsung are evidence that they're not the ones slacking on getting the update official.

Journeyman

Wasn't sure whether to reply to the original or one of the replies with more current info  

It looks like a number of people are still waiting.  Anyone hear of any updates dates for the 4.1 / Jellybean push?

Community News

Need Help? 
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base.
If you have an account question you can create a post and one of our Social Care Agents will help you.
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat