cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean

SOLVED
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Epic 4G Touch Update - Jelly Bean

I can't see any reason for holding back the update from current E4GT owners given that most users that purchased the phone are under contract  Now in the days when Gold Customers (can't remember exact name) could get anual updates, it would have made sense (cause I know I would be getting a new phone in September if I could still take advantage of that deal).  But how many users are willing to plunk down $600 for a device?  (Yes, there are advantages to going that route, especially if your old phone is in good shape and can be sold on eBay, but most users are not going to go that route.)

Highlighted
Journeyman

Premier Gold Members (like myself) have the ability to use that subsidized upgrade option for I believe another year from the ending date of the program. I have several lines that have varying eligibility dates with the option still available.

As for Jellybean, as this post is primarily referring to, while I would love that Sprint/Samsung would OTA straight to JB instead of ICS (IOT stay ahead of the competition) I would not place to much faith in that possibility.  For those that cannot wait and are not scared of rooting and flashing custom roms, pop on over to the XDA Developers site and do a search in the E4GT development forum.  I know a least one team is working on an Alpha release (team nocturnal) of the Jellybean port and the forum placeholder is already up (bookmark them at http://forums.team-nocturnal.com/showthread.php/930-ROM-PORT-Jelly-Bean-Goodness-E4GT-Alpha-1)I anticipate seeing some JB-goodness as soon as the PDK hits everyones hands.  It took them very few days to completely disassemble the SGSIII rom at release and port out s voice and such (works great on the Frakenstein Ego ROM btw)

Journeyman

I just spoke with a rep who said that he knew for a fact ICS would be rolled out OTA in the middle of July. Rep also stated that there is a good chance that 4.1 (JB) would quickly follow. JB is not fundamentally different from ICS. Just a less buggy refresh.

Journeyman

If this is true, then there will be thousands of happy Sprint campers.  This just looks way to familar...Windows.  I will wait just like everyone else is waiting.  However, more information shared openly would help matters.

Journeyman

Wouldn't that be great!! I'm holding out for the next nexus phone so it would be nice to get JB on the ET4G!

Journeyman

Sprint is completely slacking and it's starting to annoy me. How does both Droid razor phones get the update and all spint has done was make false statements on dates of the send out? To be honest Id switch to a more reliable company in a millisecond if i didn't have to pay a arm and a leg to transfer carriers.

Journeyman

It seems that the update to ICS will begin on tomorrow (12th July) according to the articles that I have read thus far.  The articles also stated that it will be an OTA type of update.  They, Sprint, hope to have the updates completed by the 20th.  Well, let's wait and see if tomorrow happens.  If you get it, please let us know. 

Journeyman

LOL, it's taken them almost a year for ICS. They aren't going to scrap that and start over.

My bet is the GS2 will not get JB.

Hopefulyl now that samsung gave the same hardware for all GS3 devices, updates will be faster. Don't want to wait? get a Nexus.

Journeyman

I might be wrong but I thought E4GT rolled out to Sprint in the fall? That makes it less than a year to get ICS and we had one of the hardest builds since we have EVDO.

That said I think it is worth being cautiously optimistic that we will see JB before it goes EOL.  At the least devs are working on custom ROMs for it - and now have an ICS source to apply JB updates to.

Journeyman

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.