Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues

Highlighted
Patron

Samsung Galaxy II Epic 4g having GPS location issues

Hello,

I don't remember this being a problem with my Evo 4g. But with this phone, it seems I am having to reboot every time I try to check in somewhere on Foursquare and Yelp to get thos Apps to recognize my location. It keeps pulling places at my home instead of where I am currently at. Anybody else have issues with that? I was at one location for several hours, and it still thought I was across town at home. I figure this will mess with my driving directions if I ever need to use it in a pinch as well.

I have Lookout security on my phone but turned it off without it having any impact.

Any ideas?

41 REPLIES 41
Highlighted
Journeyman

I would tend to agree that the problems became very noticeable with the last OTA update.  I would like to get the ICS update soon and see if that fixes the problem rather than attempting to get the phone repaired.  Any idea when the update will come out?

Highlighted
Journeyman

My wife and I both got the E4GT and have both been having the same GPS issue... long time to find location (if ever). 

My fix:  download "GPS Status" from the app store.  it is free.  lets you clear the GPS cache (other posts about clearing GPS cache do not actually work) and more importantly lets you download an AGPS file that tells the GPS unit in your phone WHERE to go looking for satellites.  Now when I am OUTSIDE and turn on my GPS, i get a signal lock within seconds! 

This fix has worked on both my phone and my wife's, so I know it is not a fluke.

Here is the "instruction manual" on how to use GPS Status:  http://m.eclipsim.com/gpsstatus/intro

link to GPS Status in the app store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.eclipsim.gpsstatus2&hl=en

link to GPS Status FAQ section: http://m.eclipsim.com/gpsstatus/

Hope this helps!

Highlighted
Journeyman

removing telenav fixed my issues also

Highlighted
Journeyman

> I have been having the same issue. My fiance and I both have the same phone and the same issue. To be honest with you, I really don't believe that your team is checking into this issue, since it has been all over these and other message boards since december of 2011. Sprint has a direct relationship with Samsung. It can't possibly take weeks for two giant companies to identify a problem  and come up with a fix. The onyl reason i can see for the long delay is that Sprint is trying to figure out how they can ignore the problem with the smallest fallout possible. >

When is a fix for my $500 phone coming. If it isn't coming, please stop lying to me. I will provide any information I can that will help "identify" the problem. I have tried the a-gps fix. it works randomly (so it is not a fix). Airplane mode is not a fix either.

I can understand the mediocre cell coverage, but there is no good reason for my GPS to not work properly.

I have to tend to agree. The GPS issue has probably been the most prevalent topic on this forum for a long time, and basically we the customers have received little info regarding whether a fix is being actively pursued. This is despicable customer service. Now with the newer version coming of this phone coming out, the S2 may end up being the 'has-been' and may get even less attention spent on it. To me, it is Sprint's call. If this is the way they handle deficient products that they sell, then I know I will be looking elsewhere after the remaining 15-months of my contract ends. Very sad and disappointing. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

The AGPS tricks work for only one of two failure modes that I've seen in the Samsung 4G Epic Fail.  A fresh AGPS works when your phone sporadically sees satellites come and go but never locks.  This is likely a software bug reading the GPS data stream.  I don't see how anybody at Sprint or Samsung could have believed that it even slightly worked.  Another problem is that the GPS radio is weak or dead.  My radio went completely dead after purchasing it and it was replaced by Samsung.  It worked amazing well when it came back, even working indoors sometimes, but it quickly degraded.  Various voodoo might get you a few more dB of signal while it's borderline operational but there's no real fix.

It looks like Samsung's 'fix' is to ditch the SII and sell the SIII. Sprint is pretending like they're not involved, even though they sell the phone as their own and maintain the contract.  If this phone is giving you a lot of problems I suggest you stop waiting for a fix.  Half a year has passed and my phone still can't reliably receive calls, roam, transfer data, use GPS, receive e-mail, or go a day without suddenly heating up and running dead.  Return the phone if you can.  Spend your money elsewhere and warn your friends.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Try going to settings>locations and security>UNCKECK wireless networks and CHECK GPS and sensor aiding. Worked immediately for me and haven't had a problem since.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat