cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S II: Many, Many Problems; Data Backup?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S II: Many, Many Problems; Data Backup?

I've had the thing for a year and a half.

But ok, I'm going to be honest,

-I've dropped it a few times (*****IN A QUALITY CASE*****)

-It's been through two car accidents, (but the Zagg "Lifetime Guaranteed" screen protector is ripped.) the screen protector was taken off a few days ago.

This thing is complete junk.

The phone crashes due to, but many times not due to, instant battery drainage about 7 times a day.

-connecting to any wifi network that's not my home network, password-protected or not, causes an instant freeze-crash effect, and battery drainage to 0% even fresh off the charger or while charging.

-using more than one application at a time, especially social networking, "music player," and internet simultaneously causes instant battery drainage

-the phone now WILL NOT reboot properly.

-GPS will also drain the battery (I've missed a few very important appointments because of this, Thank You Samsung)

-The battery will charge spiratically, once the battery drains, it'll be off, I'll plug it in, and it'll say charging "47%" or somewhere in the 40s EVERY SINGLE TIME

Screen flickers, turns on all screen lights and flickers wildly, fades out, fades in, fades into white and black lines, service of all types cut out, and battery drains, it won't turn on  (again, will happen fresh off the charger, or at whatever number between 1 and 100 percent you can think of.)

Also my menu button (infamously) flickers and jumps up and down (I call it straight glitching out) whenever it wants to.

About 75% of this started occurring a week ago.

I don't have insurance, and was conned out of protection with Geek Squad (they're worthless and overpriced anyway)

So I'm going to backup my files, ALL photos, videos, music, etc, because I have a bit of music, not so much video but a TON of pics, just to wipe that clean.... BUT I'm not sure what program to use or what I need to do to backup ALL of my contacts and everything else too.  So how do I back that up?

Second, I'm going to the nearest Sprint Repair Facility (45 minutes away, Thank You Sprint) and having my screen assembly replaced, as per the procedure I've seen shared on these boards, a BRAND new battery (this one is bulging and spins on a table and is CLEARLY fried), and maybe some other new needed hardware like antenna, or whatever, whatever.

I just want this piece of junk to last me ANOTHER SIX MONTHS so my contract can be up, I can give Sprint (who absolutely does NOT care about their new OR loyal customers in anyway these days) the fat middle finger and jump on a REAL "coast-to-coast" network (VERIZON), and I'm only saying that because I went on vacation to Holden Beach, NC recently and I was roaming on the Verizon network the WHOLE WEEK.  Thanks Sprint, I'll be glad to pay you extra money for roaming.  I pay my bill early.  I'm a good customer.  I've been with Sprint for I'd say 3 years total now.  And the network is HORRIBLE, the devices available are HORRIBLY BUILT, and everything about Sprints "customer care" and "customer service" at Sprint Stores are nothing short of PERFECTLY sub-par.  I'm absolutely tired of this.

I've been told by Sprint Store employees this screen issue is known of and CANNOT be fixed?  What?  And then he checked these forums, came across the exact thread I saw that had something to do with the menus jumping on their own and that it's a piece of tape that gets degraded or something and there's an arc of somekind, and I was told again it may not be fixed and was encouraged to purchase the new titanium SII.  What?  No.  Totally not helpful, then I explained that I had seen many people enjoying iPhones these days and that I've played with them before (4's and 4S's) and they seem solid and I was cut off and told that they're overrated and I needed The One.  So I left.

Basically I'm tired of this service altogether.

I need this phone repaired, I've paid my bill, I've done my share.

Hopefully I can get this thing fixed.

How do you backup your contacts and stuff?  I'd like to do that before I take it in to be repaired.  Can the repair place help me do it?  Or do I need to do it myself?

Sorry for blowing up, It's been a long year and a half dealing with this phone, and I thought I got a nice device, protected by Geek Squad and a top of the line case and screen protector, but it's all turning out to be a huge waste of money.  I just want guidance with this :/

Thanks

-Alex

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S II: Many, Many Problems; Data Backup?

Ok guys, thanks so much!  Clearly this community is of no help.  Thank you.

-Alex

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S II: Many, Many Problems; Data Backup?

AlexDurr,

This is a follow up. Are you still experiencing these issues?

Jen R

Sprint Social Care Team

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S II:  Many, Many Problems; Data Backup?

Jen,

Absolutely I am!

I got a new battery from Sprint (at least there's a guarantee here that it's brand new from the factory, SUPER overpriced though), and it arrived in a sealed package with evidence of it being ALREADY SUBMERGED IN WATER.  So I took many pictures of everything, the serial number, packaging, etc, so that when I get denied service for a new battery (already soon coming), I can provide pictures proving that it had been EXPOSED TO / SUBMERGED IN WATER in the factory.

Got a new screen assembly, I explained to them the issue, and it was fixed in hours.  Great service, but the place was packed (not surprising) so I couldn't get out of there for an additional hour.

But the experience with the employees was fair!

Got the battery in a couple of days, no more bulging, lasted 9 hours on a full charge for about a week and now it's draining in about 5-7 hours of normal use (typical performance, however still unacceptable).

The screen is now regularly glitching again, and menus jump up and down constantly if I'm in an area with less than three bars, which is often.

I have reason to believe this is due to poor design/cheap construction, and there is nothing anybody can do about it.

All I can say is, I'm looking forward to never buying from SAMSUNG or choosing service with Sprint EVER again.  The service is a joke/scam, your customer service representatives over the phone are usually not knowledgeable of much outside contract terms, and are increasingly outsourced.

Overall I'm happy my phone isn't dead every 5 minutes, however the other problems are still there, even after dropping $115 I never had to get it all fixed.  All I'm waiting for is my contract to be up in November so I can switch carriers to somebody more reliable/consistent/less complained about, and get a phone that I WANT, and not something the sales personnel THINK THEY KNOW I NEED.

I appreciate the follow up, Jen.

-Alex

Journeyman

Also backing up contacts is much easier than I thought, it can be done from within the phone, but it was (as usual with these devices) difficult to find out how to do it.  In fact, in trying to recall how the Sprint Representative showed me, I couldn't tell you the first step or at all under what menu it is!

Journeyman

AlexDurr,

Thank you for getting back to me. I apologize for the issues you have experienced. I am glad to hear that the battery is working for you. Since the screen started glitching again have you taken the phone back to a service and repair center?

Jen R     

Sprint Social Care Team 

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat