cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch + ICS?

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G Touch + ICS?

How do you force the upgrade?  My friend who has the same phone got an upgrade notice and was able to upgrade.  I still don't have the upgrade, may be sprint or samsung should refund some of my money.  Class action law suite on the way.

Journeyman

To all struggling with or interested in the ICS update to the Samsung Epic 4G Galaxy S2:

Please consider reviewing the link below and adding your thoughts on the larger mobile computing/Android industry implications raised by the flawed ICS update.

Thank you.

Re: Failed and COSTLY Ice Cream Sandwich update and Swype fix (Epic 4G Touch Samsung Galaxy S2)

Journeyman

I am desperately trying to revert back to Gingerbread as ICS drains my battery too damned fast with both simple and heavy usage when Gingerbread lasted days with the same usage!!

Journeyman

Here are a couple of things I have been trying that have helped a little bit in preserving battery life (though it is a pain sometimes):

Whenever possible, make sure NOT to use wifi unless you need to and then turn it off. For some reason, even if you uncheck the setting "notify me when a network is available" the system still scans for one....this is one culprit that wastes unnecessary battery usage.

You can hold down the "home" button to open up the running apps in your task manager. You can simply swipe those to close them. I have noticed even when I completely exit a certain app, for some reason it still wants to run in the background.

These are just suggestions that I am using to get as much juice out of my battery as possible for now. I even went as far to try "Juice Defender" and that did not even help at all and then performing a "factory reset" which was a little painful but not that bad at all.

Journeyman

I received the update today, and it has been a horrible experience.  First my camera doesn't work.  I thought, try the flashlight app as it uses the same components, nope, that doesn't work either.  I talked to a rep who had me do a factory reset.  It factory reset to Android 4.0.4.  The camera still doesn't work, and I had to spend my evening re-loading everything.  I agree, ICS is a total battery drain.  I am on my third charge today, opposed to the usual once a day.  Will there be a fix?  Tomorrow, I will go to a local Sprint store to see if they have any ideas about the camera.

Journeyman

Today I came close to hurling my phone out of the window of my car.  This is beyond frustrating.  I have done everything to try to get the phone's performance to improve and nothing, NOTHING has worked.  I even went so far as to reset to factory, with the same lousy results.

I will have a 100% charge, get out of my car at 07:30, go into work, and by 12:15, my phone is deader than 4 o'clock.  When I was running gingerbread, by 6PM I would still have 82% on my phone, that is no lie!  I was connected to my work's wi-fi, received email and facebook updates and downloads all day long,   AT lunch I would read Kindle for 30 minutes and often do updates and whatnot.  This is beyond wrong.  Sprint had no business rolling out an upgrade that turned what was once a mobile phone into a tiny-sized laptop computer that has a battery life to match a full-sized laptop.  I mean heck, I can get more done with my laptop with that kind of battery life.

Seriously, I use my phone for everything, and this is beyond depressing.  I was so excited thinking it would be an improvement.  Sprint should have included verbage stating that battery life would be reduced by 80% and would you still really like to continue downloading the update?  I'm willing to bet most of us would have said no thanks.

Journeyman

I too want to revert back to Gingerbread from ICS. ICS has crippled my phone and slowed it down. I can't use several Apps now as well. BS!

Journeyman

Have you checked those apps to make sure they were compatible with ICS?

It should be kept in mind that everyone has a role to play in the support of a new version of Android.  Google does the kernel; manufacturers their hardware drivers and proprietary software; application developers their apps.  Simply saying there's a problem with little troubleshooting will not help any of the above know where they need to address and fix issues.

I've had some issues with ICS but far less than the issues I faced with the Optimus S or Zio updates.  All in all I'm happy with it and know they'll keep cranking out updates for a little longer.

Journeyman

Im so unhappy with ICS! My phone is a pile of complete ****. It has horrible service it is always roaming. 4g  never connects My battery dies a few times a day when it was 80% a whole day before. It will randomly Freeze and restart it self. app's are freaking out My home buttons at the bottom have a 5-10 second delay before they will respond the phone over all works very very slow and gets pretty warm. There was some update a day or 2 ago but didnt do much my screen froze on the lock screen and went all crazy smeared i had to take the battery out to reboot it this is beyond RIDICULES!

Journeyman

Mr5.0,

Try backing up what you need on the phone and do a factory reset.  For some reason - and possibly the # of apps updating with ICS rolling out a lot more now - older data doesn't seem to play as nice with previous releases.

Most of what you're reporting are common issues when keeping old data.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I actually did back up my phone Right after i posted.. after i got past the whole Hardware Id problem. And i used kies to "Update" the firmware and it wiped the phone clean took alot longer then the first time i did it. When i got the ota update it failed on installation.. so i manually did it the first time But my phone was rooted on 2.9 and when it updated to 4.04 the super user app was still on my phone so i know it didnt do a very thorough job but since redoing it with Kies my phone seems to at this point be miles better. Battery is doing better but not as good as before signal is slightly better Phone runs pretty smooth dont freeze or any of that crap anymore. Overall now im fairly satisfied.. Its not 100% but close enough that the few small things can be fixed with futrue updates.. I recomend anyone with similar issues to try what i have done it did Wonders for me.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Sunday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat