cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge. Anyone Else?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge. Anyone Else?

Samsung Galaxy S2

I'm having two major issues. 

Starting about a month ago my phone has been beeping & blinking "high voltage" about 50% of the time I'm trying to charge my phone.  When it does this it stops the charging process and the battery will not charge.   I'll change batteries, reboot, etc.  Half the time I have to turn the phone off so that it can charge and then I'll turn it on when it says 100%.  Very inconvient when you use your phone as an alarm clock.

It already had such crappy battery life that my husband and I purchased 8 batteries and an external charger so that we keep several charged and ready to change out as needed.

Then on 2/7 my phone recieved a Sprint update.  I tried to ingore it and install later, but it kept poping up so I finally let it "upgrade".   Well ever since the update my phone battery is draining rediculously fast.  I am talking it said that it was charged 100% and then it was at 16% battery in less than an hour.    I've killed all "applications", stopped every "google" crap process in the background and it still drains super quick. 

Is anyone else having thess issues?

It seems like everytime our "contract" is complete something mysteriously happens to our phone and forces us to upgrade and sign another contract.  (Our contract was up last week).

39 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge. Anyone Else?

I'm amazed you only have two major issues with that phone. That Samsung Galaxy S2 Epic 4G touch has had nothing but problems ever since last August. The battery issues you are experiencing right now started back then when the phone was upgraded to the ICS operating system. I use to own one of those phones and got rid of it last Thanksgiving due to the never ending list of problems. The quick battery drainage was almost one of the very first problems I experienced shortly after the upgrade. It didn't take long for the battery to finally give out due to the constant recharging and discharging of it. In fact a few weeks before Thanksgiving I found myself at the Sprint repair store for this battery issue. I was given a replacement and sent on my merry way. The replacement battery was better but I still had trouble making it through the day without having to charge the thing at least twice in an eight hour span. It's a damn shame you went out and bought all those extra batteries and chargers to keep you going, especially when Sprint and Samsung know that this is a problem they are aware of and have failed to correct ever since last August.

Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge. Anyone Else?

I'm having the same problems my phone is only 7 months old and Srpint or samsung will do anything about it. Sprint has the worse customer service I ever delt with.

There telling there customers that Samsung has a 1 year replacement on there phones that a lie. I spoke to samsung and they told me they neverreplace phones you have to pay to have it sent back to them to fix. After 4 days of chatting and phone calls and going to the store nothing is resolved. So im stuck with a phone after doing what samsung support told me to do that won't even boot now.All I can say way to go Sprint and Samsung your customer service really SUCKS THE BIG ONE.

Journeyman

I too am having battery problems. I did not have these problems when I upgraded to ICS like others did. I also noticed that my phone now is  constantly searching for 4G (not something that is around Indianapolis) and that could be helping with the draining. The phone contract is not up yet for me or I would be trading! I have not had as many problems as others have but I do not "push" it to its limits.

I will be watching to see if anyone else has remarks or "fixes"

Journeyman

I too am having battery problems. I did not have these problems when I upgraded to ICS like others did. I also noticed that my phone now is  constantly searching for 4G (not something that is around Indianapolis) and that could be helping with the draining. The phone contract is not up yet for me or I would be trading! I have not had as many problems as others have but I do not "push" it to its limits.

I will be watching to see if anyone else has remarks or "fixes"

Journeyman

It's not just the S2. I have the old school Epic 4G and my phone just started doing this about a week ago. On my day off I stayed at home all day and was on my Wifi. No 3G or 4G usage and my battery was dead faster then when I am out all day. Battery charges to 100% no problem, but drains super fast no matter what I do. It's beginning to get annoying. My contract was up last year and I've never had a problem with my phone. I'm was plannin on waiting for 4G LTE to come to Seattle before I upgrade my phone. Hopefully they either revert to the previous update with no problems, or introduce a new one that fixes the battery drain issue.

Journeyman

Ditto to all that has been said above.  Went to bed with a fully charged phone and it was at 37% this morning.  Usage showed that 72% of the drain was from the Android OS (while I as asleep).  Odds are if you are reading this post you've already updated your OS, but if not...DON'T do it yet.

Journeyman

To turn off the network auto detect, go to: Settings, More, Mobile Networks, Connections Optimizer (a.k.a. Battery Drain Optimizer) and uncheck the box at top right corner. This is for Samasung Galaxy S2 phones.

Journeyman

I never post but its time too. The battery issues including some others have been around for awhile, but the new update this febuary has caused high voltage and charging issues. Sprint had billing issues that government tackled them for a couple years back so my siblings dropped them. Since I have been with them I get charged for 4g which isnt true 4g and it barely covers the major cities when I pass through them. Not to mention they offer 4g lte which isnt true 4g either which means they arent working on the network they are charging me for. Note: no one in the states offers true 4g though 4g lte with the right compression may be there soon. Back to battery issues. The updates are forced and programmed by some hack programmers. Its not optional nor is there an ability to turn off all sprint features. I dont care to hear from them. I want to receive service pay my bill and be left alone. The newest update (voltage nightmare) added a feature that monitors your network usage in an attempt to maximize your time on networks other than theirs. I get that the wireless industry is burdened by the new smart device boom and if people spend more time on  their home networks it relieves their data burden; however, I always turn on wireless when in range because its faster. I dont need sprint monitoring my usage and trying to be effecient with my data because they are not good at it and they waste my battery and system resources. I have unlimited so I do not have to worry. Instead I worry about and fear updates. I waste time trying to fix my phone fighting freezes, shutdowns, and resets. I was told in the store I could unistall sprint apps because I was buying a smartphone but instead it turns out the apps are integrated into the system kernel. For those of you whose wireless is still searching after turning off androids search features go to settings>more>mobile networks>connections optimizer and opt out of sprints burdensome helper. That should fix the random searches. As for the voltage issue, lets pray they fix it. If they dont I rather switch providers and pay out of contract than buy a new model phone that they can destroy with bad programming. Its my hope that sprint survives the two giants att and verizon, but these little issues add up and waste my time. Ill be starting a fb group to help petition certain rights and options for sprint users in hopes to they actually start listening to various points in detail. For instance, I get they dont want people having root access altering data rates(stealing). Aletring your software is legal it just voids your warranty, but they need to offer partial root access for firewalls. They need to allow people to opt out of updates. And if we dont want bloatware we should be able to unistall it. Even though their network is limited I can be happy with it and its pricing if they would stop destroying the usability of my phone. I do discourage flashing your phone and do encourage your home network when in range, but you do what you have to do. I might alter my kernel to disable updates and cancel my phone insurance to save money if I void my phone. Because a sprint destroyed phone is a broken phone. And no sprint I will not buy another battery from store rep who knows less about engineering tech and more about philosophy.

Journeyman

with regard to constantly searching for 4g- after the update, the phone now has a network setting called "connections optimization" which means its constantly trying to switch around and look for wifi / 4g. this is default to on after the feb update. so turning it off fixed THAT problem.

otherwise, i have also noticed the increased battery drain, and a little something i like to call the "phantom menu". when i have low cell reception, the menu constantly flips open (in home screen or in apps, doesnt matter), to the point when i just have to wait for it stop twitching. all the touch buttons light up and i cant do anything until it stops. a pain in the ass- considering i have low reception in my house, but i just want to surf the web on wifi! this problem seemed to have been better with the previous sprint update, but its back with a vegance now. overall, my phone is def less responsive and generally more slow than before.

i have android 4.0.4 // kernal 3.0.15-1173404. wish i hadnt been so gun-ho about installing the update without doing some research :-/

Community News

Community News

Find out whats happening on the bridge, we'll share new features and fun on the community as well as exciting news from the mothership...read more.