Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community is Read Only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat or visit community.t-mobile.com
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge. Anyone Else?

Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S2 - Fast battery drain since update and high voltage everytime I try to charge. Anyone Else?

Samsung Galaxy S2

I'm having two major issues. 

Starting about a month ago my phone has been beeping & blinking "high voltage" about 50% of the time I'm trying to charge my phone.  When it does this it stops the charging process and the battery will not charge.   I'll change batteries, reboot, etc.  Half the time I have to turn the phone off so that it can charge and then I'll turn it on when it says 100%.  Very inconvient when you use your phone as an alarm clock.

It already had such crappy battery life that my husband and I purchased 8 batteries and an external charger so that we keep several charged and ready to change out as needed.

Then on 2/7 my phone recieved a Sprint update.  I tried to ingore it and install later, but it kept poping up so I finally let it "upgrade".   Well ever since the update my phone battery is draining rediculously fast.  I am talking it said that it was charged 100% and then it was at 16% battery in less than an hour.    I've killed all "applications", stopped every "google" crap process in the background and it still drains super quick. 

Is anyone else having thess issues?

It seems like everytime our "contract" is complete something mysteriously happens to our phone and forces us to upgrade and sign another contract.  (Our contract was up last week).

39 REPLIES 39
Journeyman

My phone is doing the exact same thing. I am frustrated and thinking of switching carriers.

Journeyman

I was out of the country in February when the update was released. However since my return have been appalled by the battery drain on the 'phone. Is anyone out there paying attention? Either at Sprint or at Samsung or at Google?

We need a fix!

Journeyman

I had the same charging issue, it wasmy battery port, not reading the charger. They had to swap out my phone for another one. But in the mean time I purchased an external battery charger at Batteries Plus and it worked great.  The whole situation  was a pain in the butt.The repait store did say that they have been getting a lot of probelms with the port on the S2.

Have them swap it out. Good luck

Journeyman

I have had the exact same problems as well.  Thinking of switching renew dates with my son, as we share a plan, and I may get the I-phone.  My sister and son have them with NO battery issues whatsoever. What a hassle. 

Journeyman

Since the recent update, I too have had the same problem.  The phone is constantly looking for WiFi, 4G. Drains the battery so fast, the phone actually gets hot.  Have to recharge 2X per day.  Going into my local Sprint dealer and see if there is a work around.  I'm not happy.

Journeyman

For all that is good people! READ THE POSTS NOT JUST THE TITLES! This thread is about a HIGH VOLTAGE ISSUE. The constant wireless search is addressed in the posts as well. It can be turned off. Sprint wont ever acknowledge they're breaking phones with updates if the average user can't distinguish between a setting that's turned on and an actually broken phone. Your connections optimizer is still on. It's a super retarded Sprint addon. Just turn it off. Sprint will think those of us with bricked phones are just to lazy to read for the solution to a problem that while relevant is not our biggest concern or the source of our woes if are issues are littered with ignorance.

Journeyman

I am glad I am not the only one experencing issues.  Yesterday I had my phone charged to 100% (i always have it plugged in when I'm at work).  I left my office for less than 2 hours and did not use my phone at all during that time period.  When I checked my phone on my way back to the office I was down to only 10% battery.  By the time I got to my office to plug my phone in it was dead.  I did not have 4g, GPS, or WiFi turned on so there should not have been a reason for my battery to drain as fast as it did.

Up until this point I have had (knock on wood) no problems with my Galaxy S2, I love it.  I got it a year ago and planned on keeping it for at least another year.  Very frustrated!

Journeyman

i have not seen Sprint response to this issue...

I have had the same problem, but i did uncheck that default that was added with the upgrade to auto look for wifi and 4g service and that did stop the random reboots...

Now my phone doesn't want to keep a charge...

i'll have a full 99% and unplug the phone from the charger and have it on checking my email or setting the alarm for like 3 minutes and the phone will just turn off without the shut down music or anything it just goes black and when i turn it back on its say 5% battery, but if i open the phone and take out the battery and put it back in then turn it on it will say 86%

so i don't know whats going on with it...

sometimes i could be online apps for a good 30 mins and then it turns off

and sometime i could just have it on looking at the photo gallery for les then 5 mins and it turns off

so does Sprint have any reply to all these issues?

or should i try Samsung?

Journeyman

I turned off the Optimizer like one person said to do and now I am not having the battery drain instently.  This is the first issue I have had with this phone in two years.

Journeyman

I've been using cell phones since the early 80's, so I'm not a newbie.  Been using smartphones since they got smart.  I rooted my HTC Hero and know my way around the devices.  I loved my HTC EVO until I feel into the water during a flood, it was not recoverable.  So, I got the Galaxy S2 on Sprint.  It too worked great until the upgrade prior to Jelly Bean.  It began charging slowly and I could unplug it from a 100% charge and it would show 75% charge, then recharge ever so slowly.  I've tried battery recalibration software, battery life extension software, etc.  It always says that the display is using the most power.  The battery discharges completely on the AC charger.  Sometimes it is almost normal at home and acts up at the office, or vice-versa.  So I've ruled out coverage issues.  I too have the optimizer disabled.  Vlingo pops up at random.  I tried killing unused apps and it's ineffective.  It is totally random, almost like a memory leak but, it's the battery/charger.  (2 different AC chargers, two different USB chargers.  Phone on, phone off, doesn't matter.  Sometimes the red LED is on while charging, most times not.  The problem is worse with Jelly Bean but, I'm not ruling out the battery yet and have one on order through Amazon.  I won't rule out the USB charging port either and will be trying the toothbrush trick next.  This is a real nasty, irritating problem.  I could care less about the OS upgrades that everyone likes to complain about, I just want the device to be reliable.

Journeyman

Update:

My S2 was working flawlessly for almost a year and a half, I loved it.  I've had nothing but problems with battery drain and extemely slow or no charging (even complete drain while charging.) since the software upgrade just before the Jelly Bean upgrade.  After trying 3rd party battery apps, cleaning the contacts on the battery and USB charging port, I took it to thje Sprint store today.  The tech claimed it is a known issue and offered a free Motorola Photon or a $50 swap for another S2, which is on backorder due to the problem.  His theory is that the software installs better in the factory.  My theory is that the software is incompatible with certain internal chip sets used at the time the phone was manufactured.  Either way, it's a software related problem.

I think I'll also purchase an external battery charger just in case...

Journeyman

Same problem here and I have only had my phone 5 months! 

Community News

Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat