cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update

My power button seems to have short-circuited after a recent update pushed through a couple of days ago. It was working fine immediately after the update, then around early evening the phone started turning on and off by itself, draining the battery and then (i think) short-circuiting my power button. Now the only way I can turn on the phone is unplugging the phone from the charger or taking out and putting the battery back in. Sometimes the screen turns on by itself, but I can't make it turn on voluntarily (except as mentioned before). I took it to the Sprint repair store, but because I have a crack across from screen (which was from months ago and the phone had been working perfectly following the crack), I was informed that they weren't allowed to try to repair it. =( The only options they gave me was an early upgrade where I pay $175 and then the price of whichever phone I buy.

I've factory resetted the phone, as well as left the battery out overnight a couple of times. None of which has helped. I've also tried calling outside repair shops and they indicate that they may or may not be able to fix it, but will certainly charge me to just look at it.

I don't have insurance and I'm past the 1 year warranty provided by Samsung. Samsung offered to try to repair the phone, but they would charge at least $165 because they HAVE to repair my cracked screen. I just want the power button fixed so I can use my phone. I don't care too much for having the screen fixed since it works fine with the crack. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would love to keep the phone, but if there are no good fixes, I might just early terminate as my contract is up in November. Thanks for any help...

69 REPLIES 69
Highlighted
Journeyman

How is there no reply from Sprint Customer care from the original posters response. The same thing is happening to my Samsung Galaxy S2 as well, I won't even waste my time calling Sprint or going to a store to get help with the issue because I have received the most horrible customer service from this company. I will be paying to get out of my contract, and back to Verizon I go.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Exact same problem, I took it in to the closest Sprint repair shop. Since I am outside of my two year contract they wouldn't even look at the phone all they did was try to sell me a new phone with a new agreement. Why would I want another two year agreement with a company that won't even look at my phone that has an issue now from their "upgrade". The phone doesn't even have a single scratch on it anywhere.

Highlighted
Journeyman

GRRRRRRR>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Forget the SD card issue. I'm back to square one. Phone Toast, won't even power up. Tried booting into mode while holding Power button and Volume, when I get to the point where Android is asking me to scroll , select the option that you want and push the power button. The power button doesn't work! So I can't select anything. BRILLIANT!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I am in the same boat as most of you. I am furious with this samsung galaxy S2 from spring. Before that I had the HTC EVO 4G for 2 years and it was amazing. I wish I would have kept it compared to this garbage samsung phone. I thought I was the only one who was experiencing the menu popping up problem (both my parents have this phone and theirs doesn't do it...yet). But it is nice to see that I'm not the only one with the problem.  I have only had the phone for 4 months and it is the worst. I am going to spring tomorrow to see if they can do anything. I still have my old blackberry with the ball in it, that phone was better than this piece of junk.  I know that I will not be buying a samsung ever again. HTC ONE will definitely be my next pick. Hope we can get this straightened out.

When my menu pops up randoming it just goes nutzo and keeps doing it. A lot of times I have to reboot the phone and then it may stop it for a few hours.

Also, how in the he** do you transfer stuff to your pc????  When I plug in the phone to my computer via USB, 2 options come up on the phone to chose either MTP or PTP. Either one I pick, when I go to my computer to mess with it, it just doesn't look right and is not user friendly at all.  Again, poor choice on an upgrade on my part, i think this thing is absolute garbage!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem here, phone powers off randomly, power button will not shut screen off. Phone is a year and 4 months old.  No problems until about 2 weeks ago.  Rebooted my phone and the issue is still there.

Highlighted
Journeyman

SAME THING HERE!

I took it in thinking the Power/Lock button was broken.  The salesgirl told me to come back in a couple of hours and took it to the tech booth.  In the time that it took to use one of the display phones to call my wife, she came back with the phone.  They used a magnifying glass with a light to look at the cantacts on the power plug port.  Apparently, there is a little corrosion on the contacts and they wouldn't even open it up...just like the earlier post with the cracked screen.  No matter that it works, I just want them to fix the power buutton that's on the opposite end of the phone from the charge port.

I called Tech Support and all they could tell me was to make a claim on the insurance.  I've already had this phone replaced for another issue and now this.

Sprint/Samsung should make good on this issue.  I've always been a fan of Samsung products!

I've been with Sprint for 12+ years without ever thinking of changing providers...even got my new bride to switch.  Guess what...she's been right everytime and I should have gone with her and Verizon.  The reason we stayed with Sprint was because it was going to cost much more for me to get out of my contract than for her to change over.  Hmmm...maybe not.

There's no way I'm buying a Macin-toy product.

Class action...?

Highlighted
Journeyman

Getting this same problem here too after a JB upgrade on my GS2.  Time to look for a new carrier all.

First Sprint botched that horrendously delayed ICS update which turned our batteries into bloated worthless capacitors with only a few hours charge.  Even the sprint CSR I spoke to acknowledged the same thing happened to his GS2 and it was a known issue; they still wouldn't replace it at the store, I had to guy buy OEM off Amazon.)

Now, this power button issue makes the phone unusable.  Maybe I'll flash this thing back to gingerbread while waiting the next week for my contract to expire; Sprint, i'm so done with you, go to hell.  I'm nott even going to get into how worthless getting a GS4 would be on your Wiimax only 4g network in my area...

Highlighted
Journeyman

Cannot believe so many other people are having issues with this and there's NO response from Sprint!! Loved this phone in the beginning, but it's been terrible since ICS and Sprint has been absolutely worthless with any repair options. Had the bloated battery problem, the crappy battery life (with ICS) issue, and now the restarting/power button problem??

I was having this issue intermittently for about 6 months prior to installing Jellybean, and was told that upgrading to Jellybean would fix it. I upgraded about a month ago and, of course, no help. Tried a hard reset, but no change. Yesterday, the power button stopped working entirely; for me to turn on my screen, i'd have to unplug or plug my phone in to charge. Annoying, but I figured I could deal with it like that for a little bit. Of course, last night, the battery died so now I can't turn the phone on at all.

Been a Sprint customer since 2001, but I'm pretty much done with them. Buying something cheap until my contract expires in October/November, and then I'm gone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Instead of plugging or unplugging from charger to turn the screen on....try plugging in an ear piece. It does the same thing and its more convenient when you're not near a charger.  My power button has stopped working as of the last update but I suspect its hardware related. Also since the last update,  turning on wireless sets the phone in a loop,...power off and power on for a few cycles. Then I have to enter the wireless key all over again....total drag. And sometimes when I click on  "connect" button the phone turns off and on a few cycles.  Can't wait to leave sprint.....

Highlighted
Journeyman

My husband and I were having the same issues with our S2 and we called our local Sprint store.  They told us to check the battery for swelling.  To do this, you will take the battery out, place it on a flat surface (flat side down), and then try to spin it.  If it can spin, then it's swollen and you need a new battery.

Our local Sprint store was nice enough to give us batteries for our S2's.  They said they couldn't sell them for some reason.  Also, this is a store owned by Sprint and not a local cellular sales center.

We haven't had this problem since we replaced the swollen batteries.  And yes, we had all the problems here listed - phone would turn off but we couldn't turn it on, says the battery is drained and shuts down, but then when you go to charge the battery it would show it half-way charged already...  stuff like that!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having the same issue and haven't found any workarounds. After no incident and regular usage, it seems like the power button is permanently pressed. The only way to power down is to remove the battery. As soon as the battery goes into the phone, it automatically turns on. The lock screen will appear/go to sleep/reappear continuously. Funny how this occurs 10 days after being upgrade-eligible.

It seems related to the battery and plugging the phone into a charger. Plugging/unplugging is the only way to manually cause the screen to come on. Otherwise it's like it has a mind of its own and turns on when it wants to. (Screen does not come back from sleeping when pressing the power button.)

Since I have accessories and an extra battery and external charger from Samsung, I don't really want to upgrade to the S4 and I don't want to pay just to replace the phone. It's more annoying than dysfunctional.

The only way I'm coping is to change settings on the lock screen for a long delay and keep the phone plugged into a charger. I keep looking for an app that may be causing the issue. Any real solutions would be helpful.

Highlighted
Journeyman

My suggestion, in my post above, just use an earpiece. Plug it in or out to turn on the screen.....easier than changing your lock screen time or having a charger plugged in all the time. This is a hardware issue....the power button over time gets stuck...seems like a lot of us had it fail at around the same time.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat