cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update

My power button seems to have short-circuited after a recent update pushed through a couple of days ago. It was working fine immediately after the update, then around early evening the phone started turning on and off by itself, draining the battery and then (i think) short-circuiting my power button. Now the only way I can turn on the phone is unplugging the phone from the charger or taking out and putting the battery back in. Sometimes the screen turns on by itself, but I can't make it turn on voluntarily (except as mentioned before). I took it to the Sprint repair store, but because I have a crack across from screen (which was from months ago and the phone had been working perfectly following the crack), I was informed that they weren't allowed to try to repair it. =( The only options they gave me was an early upgrade where I pay $175 and then the price of whichever phone I buy.

I've factory resetted the phone, as well as left the battery out overnight a couple of times. None of which has helped. I've also tried calling outside repair shops and they indicate that they may or may not be able to fix it, but will certainly charge me to just look at it.

I don't have insurance and I'm past the 1 year warranty provided by Samsung. Samsung offered to try to repair the phone, but they would charge at least $165 because they HAVE to repair my cracked screen. I just want the power button fixed so I can use my phone. I don't care too much for having the screen fixed since it works fine with the crack. Does anyone have any other suggestions? I would love to keep the phone, but if there are no good fixes, I might just early terminate as my contract is up in November. Thanks for any help...

69 REPLIES 69
Highlighted
Journeyman

I thought this was just a problem with my ("new") phone until I read many of these posts. My phone is a SquareTrade (Insurance) replacement for my previous S2. I've had the same issue since I activated it about two months ago.. A WAY Overly Sensitive Power button resulting in the lock screen coming on when you don't want it to. But worse, the "Device options" (Power off... data network mode... airplane mode... Restart" coming up. While excersing i keep it in a waist pack because I listen to music... so NOT much more annoying than it shutting on and off BY ITSELF over and over and over because the power button slighty touches something.

So I take it a Sprint Store Today - Sprint Rep questions: "What seems to be the problem?"   "Do you have Insurance"?

My Reply: "My power button is ultra sensitive and makes my phone power on and off by itself and Yes, thru a 3rd Party."

"Can you have someone look at it?"

Sprint CSR:  "Yeah, It'll be $75 dollars."

My Reply: "To just look at it?"

Sprint CSR: "Yeah, I suggest you go thru your Insurance company"

The Facts:  The phone is NOT damaged in any way. I received it with the Issue it has from Day One (2 months ago). I use to work for Sprint when we would at least look at a phone and try to troubleshoot the problem... at NO cost. If out of warranty (without damage) we would suggest options at that point. I've been with Sprint for about 14 years (as a customer) and I've calculated I've paid them appx $20,000 for service.

It seems as though this is a common problem with the Update, this should be a known problem by Sprint and it should be corrected without cost to the consumer... just like a Car recall for a known problem.

My contract will be up in October of this year and I WILL be looking elsewhere. 

Highlighted
Master

quest619 - Thank you for sharing your experience and reaching out to us. We are sorry to hear about the ongoing power button issue with your Samsung Galaxy S2. The store does charge a Service and Repair fee of $75 if your phone is not covered by Total Equipment Protection. I'm sorry that they didn't even take a look at the phone for free. As far as the issue with the S2, you can log onto sprint.com and confirm if you are eligible for an upgrade instead of having the phone replaced again. We would hate to lose you and thank you for being a valued Sprint customer. - Jonelle Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

i have a epic 4G touch with a service contract on it and i know the power button is bad, so i took it in to have a sprint tech to look at it.

he say there is corrosion in the contacts of the power button.

BUT I KNOW the phone has never seen water , ever since i got my refurbished phone from asurion in AUGUST of 2013 because of a damaged screen.

BUT THE TECH FAILED TO MENTION THAT THE PHONE SHOWS ABSOLUTELY NO SIGNS OF WATER CONTAMINATION!!!!!!!!

So someone explain to me how this is my fault and why i have to pay another $100 for another phone!!!!!!!

I LOVE MY S2 AND IT WORKED FLAWLESSLY, BEFORE THIS!!!!!!

Now i cannot even get a second opinion because they blacklisted my phone!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

oh and i did contact Asurion and they said to take it to a sprint service center.

it is under a year since i got the refurbished phone or it could of been a used one .

and how do i know that it could of been a USED PHONE?

IT HAD THE WRONG SCREEN PROTECTOR ON IT , STILL!!!!!!!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'll just add to this thread that I'm also having the described problems.  At the suggestion of the sprint chat support I took my phone to the local sprint store, which was a waste of time.  They tried to sell me a new phone with the ez pay, and they would also not even look at the phone at all.  I was told that their repair center is for software issues only, and that they would only send it away for a fee of $75.  I've read a few places online that MobileTechVideos.COM will replace the power button for $35, so I'll give that a try.  I also like my galaxy and am quite irritated with the attitude of the sprint store employees trying to only sell a new phone and not bothering to even attempt to troubleshoot the issue.

Highlighted
Master

mechdj

I am sorry to hear about this. A number of things can cause liquid damage to a device. If liquid or physical damage is present, we can not service the device due to strict agreements with the manufactures. If you would like a replacement ordered you will need to contact Asurion.

-Patrick

Sprint Social Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Let's see, I have been experiencing the same issue for about a week now. This is clearly a known issue with the device and or software. Has anyone gotten anywhere with Sprint on this issue. Or shall I save myself some frustration, pay the ETF, and go elsewhere? I have loved my S2 up to this point and like most customers have stated here my phone is in great condition, never dropped etc.

Highlighted
Master

PrettyRN2013,

I am not showing a solution that has worked for all phones. I would suggest taking the phone to a Sprint service & repair store for them to troubleshoot it. You can locate a store and schedule an appointment at www.sprint.com/storelocator . They will be happy to look at your device for you.

Thank you,

Barry

Sprint Social Care
Highlighted
Journeyman

I got my "replacement" phone on November 15th 2014 for 100.00. Then I removed the protection for almost 10.00 a month because the whole thing is crap. I pay 10.00 a month, or 120.00 a year AND I have to pay 100.00 when my phone breaks because it's junk. No replaced phone is new, especially not an S2. So now my power button does all of the things everyone else here says. It just started yesterday. I did remove the SD card, just so I could say I did it. I did NOT put it back in. I can't use the phone because when I turn it on it restarts. When I set it down it restarts. When I breathe it restarts. So I have no protection plan and somehow my account shows that I am leasing this phone for 0.00 a month and have until 11/2015 until I am finished leasing. "There is $125.00 residual amount remaining on your lease. This amount, plus any applicable taxes and fees, are due prior to closing your lease agreement" what the hell is this? I paid 100.00 fee to have the phone replaced and somehow this comes up for a phone they claim I am leasing.....But I am not leasing anything.

Highlighted
Master

KARY4567 - The device is replaced at a lower cost than originally purchased. We'd be happy to take a look at your account and why you were told you were leasing a device. Please send us a private message through the following link and be sure to include your number and pin or security answer. http://bit.ly/1qQty1X- Crystal G
Sprint Social Care
Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat