cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 Power Button Broken After Recent Update

Looks like everybody is waiting to get out of Sprint.

Not surprised with the kind of service they have and the way they treat their customers 

Highlighted
Journeyman

Count me among those being affected by this. At first, I thought I was going mad; that this was some crazy problem with the battery like others have, but then one day about 2 weeks ago, the issue FIXED ITSELF. Just like that! And my phone was back to being the great device I have known it to be. And then, just four days ago, it happened once again, and its back to the same damned loop everyone else here is reporting:

• With the screen active, the power button does NOT turn the screen how, no matter how many times you press it
  • If you long press the power button, you do not get any power control options (Turn Off/Airplan Mode/Silence/etc)
  • The only way to get the phone to get to a lock screen is to let is go to sleep, then put it on USB charge to awaken it
  • Every 15-20 minutes, the power options appear out of the blue and then 5 or so seconds later, the phone soft reboots

What the ****, Sprint?

Highlighted
Journeyman

And it just happened to me as well.  The phone has never been dropped or damaged and I have been  a sprint customer for over 9 years now.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same problem with my Galaxy S2's power button "after" the last update from sprint. Have had my phone in a case since 11/11. Never had any issues before the last update. Power button is just stuck....it takes plugging in charger to get screen to light up. And if I use the lock screen feature....the phone goes to sleep on the lock screen and then just tries to awake....and it does this continuously. No insurance.....I missed sprint's sign up for insurance offer that ended March 31. Contract is up in Nov but most likely I'll leave sprint for another carrier. I've been a sprint customer since 2000 but it doesn't matter. I know sprint will not help with my problem. 

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm having the same exact problem as well... There is no way I'm going to pay another $50 for another refurb!

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hey all, can you all try this and let me know if it works for you as well?

1. Turn off your phone
  2. Pull out battery
  3. Remove SD Card
  4. Put Battery Back and power up

I tried that, and the Power Button starting workgin again.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm not sure if upgarding the OS from ICS to JB would work.

But here's the video link on how to do it and hopefully this helps to fix the problem.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsoHlqi_0VM

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well, "glad" to see I'm not the only one with this problem. Grrr.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Tried it before....it does not solve the problem. Just did the JB update and now the menu button activates itself 50% more often. Trying to get out of it by tapping the back arrow takes for ever...non responsive. At least my screen now goes to sleep after the set 2min. Before it would just loop every 2min and stay on constantly until connected to a charger. The upgrade wiped all of my internet bookmarks. I had to re-enter my wireless key 3-5 times for it to connect. Every time I hit connect...the phone would just re-start. Finally was able to get my wireless to work....but every once in a while when the phone randomly re-starts itself the wireless key has to be re-entered. Then there's my email. I use yahoo and set my email to check every 10min. Well it doesn't matter as I have to manually refresh to get my email...very frustrating. I like the JB features but the headaches are not worth it. I like Android....but these constant OS upgrades and OTA updates that don't work seamlessly are taking away from the joy of ownership. I could see why the iphone is preferrable to those who don't want to fix their phone after every upgrade/update.

Highlighted
Journeyman

So Andrew/allgood, is there anything Sprint can do for us? This is a really frustrating issue that makes it extremely difficult to use our Galaxy S2s. If anything Sprint should honor an early phone upgrade without having to pay an extra fee, given that this is an issue that appears to have been caused by the update that was pushed out.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Has anyone from Sprint helped with this issue at all?

I'm having the same problem, and customer service has been zero help.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Hello.

I am also having the same problems with my samsung galaxy s2/epic 4g touch that the other sprint users are having in this forum.

My problems:

Since I did an update at the end of March that was pushed through by Sprint, my phone keeps having the menu screen pop up for no reason.

Each time the menu screen would pop up, 1 of 2 things would happen: (1) I would either be able to hit the back button at the bottom of my phone or (2) the phone would cycle itself off and back on.

After this started happening, my phone would cycle itself off and back on with or without the menu screen randomly popping up.

Now, my power button has stopped working completely.

I bought my phone brand new on last year, and I did not have these problems into I did an update on my phone pushed by Sprint.  Now in addition to these problems, I have to plug my phone in to the usb charger and remove it from the charger to be able to use the phone, because this action mimics what my now non-functioning power button used to do. I would like a ticket to be made on my behalf so that I can take it to a store and have my phone properly fixed like the other sprint users in the various forums concerning these issues. I stay in Florida and I do not have the insurance on my phone.

Thank you for contacting me.

Also, I have a new battery in my phone.  I just purchased it towards the end of February 2013

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat