Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community is currently read-only. Please use the My Sprint app or Sprint.com to manage your account. If you need assistance, please visit Sprint.com/chat
Sprint Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 V4.0.4 FI27 Shuts Down Randomly

Does anyone have a solution to this yet? My phone does the same thing so I got a new battery and then about 2 months later it started happening again. This is so frustrating. It's shutting off more and more now. I think the phone is either overheating or doing something to cause the batteries to go corrupt. Battery replacement does not work. Hopefully, there will be an update to fix this issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Does anyone have a solution to this yet? My phone does the same thing so I got a new battery and then about 2 months later it started happening again. This is so frustrating. It's shutting off more and more now. I think the phone is either overheating or doing something to cause the batteries to go corrupt. Battery replacement does not work. Hopefully, there will be an update to fix this issue.

Highlighted
Journeyman

After replacing my battery, I rooted and rom'ed my phone and have a pretty nice version of Jelly Bean 4.1.1. Now looking for a 4.2.x version. Would like it if Sprint/Samsung put out an official version of Jelly Bean.

Anyway, battery life is good, the phone is snappy, and I have all the nice Jelly Bean features. I think there's something seriosly wrong with the updates Sprint sent out last Sept. For info on this ROM, go here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1812078

-jmhnet

Highlighted
Journeyman

JJW110, I posted previously, but as there are so many posts here, you may not have seen it . I bought a new battery. No go.  I went to a company store where they replaced the phone. As soon as I walked out, it started again. We tried a last ditch effort - we removed my older microSD card.  Worked like a charm.  I went out and bought a new microSD card and have never had the problem again. I have had no issues since mid-November.  Did you get the new phone and then put in your old card? That might be the problem.  The tech said I could reformat the old card, but I just opted for buying a new card with 16G of space instead. I'm very happy. I love this phone. I'm running ICS with no complications whatsoever.

Hope this helps you.

Message was edited by: EMMAFIG73 to bold solution points

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having the same problem with three brand new Epic 4Gs - preiodically it just shuts off, even though it's at 70%+ charge.  Here are my observations - the first phone died twice in two weeks, so I exchanged it.  The second one started dying three times a day from day one, so I exchanged it.  The third one died twice in the first day.  In each case, when I opened the phone and powered it up, I accepted all the system updates.  I don't have a microSD card in mine, so the above won't help me.

Now, on the third phone, I did a hard reset, and am not accepting the system updates.  So far it has not died, so I wonder if there is something to the theory that the system updates are creating this problem.  It's only been two days so far, so too early to be sure, but I'll keep you posted.  Obviously three phones all having the same issue is not an isolated incident.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Having similar issues....phone flickers then shuts down when it has 50%+ in battery left. When I turn it back on it has 1% battery.  Phone has been locking up and having issues that never occurred previously. Is Spring charging customers without their insurance plan to "problem solve" for this issue?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I was also having similar issues since the FI27 update.  The phone would lock up or shut off, and on reboot the battery would be 40% or more lower than it was before the reboot.  Since my phone is over a year old, and reading all of the responses to various topics on here, I decided to buy a new battery.  I purchased an Anker brand battery from Amazon seller LaptopMate.  Not only do I not have the random rebooting issue, but this battery seems to last a LOT longer (even though it's exactly the same 1800mAh rating as the OEM battery).  It does take a bit longer to charge, but it's definitely worth it.  They don't have the single battery listed right now, but they do have a pack with two batteries and a battery charging base for $25.99/free shipping.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Well my phone #3 died 3 times yesterday, so I am washing my hands off Samsung and going with the evo.  The internet is abuzz with the s2's shutting off several times a day, and the fact that this has not been fixed is unacceptable.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ditto ditto here. My Samsung Galaxy s2 has the same issues - it would randomly start flickering, battery level would drop precipitously, the bars indicating reception strength would disappear and the icon that signifies no signal will appear (circle with slash thru it) then it would just shut off. When I try to power it back on, it would say that the battery is very low and often not be able to power back on at all until I plug it in an outlet. Once plugged in, in a matter of a few minutes, the battery is back up to a pretty high level very quickly. I already did a factory reset -- it behaved for about half a day and then started acting up again. None of this happens when it is plugged in an outlet -- so I guess I have a wired phone. This seems to be a very prevalent issue and not necessarily because of a bad battery -- there are numerous forums on this subject. Would a Sprint investigate this and see what is going on????

Highlighted
Journeyman

Ditto, Ditto, Ditto!  I am experiencing and have attempted all of the corrective measures as everyone else.  Sprint and Samsung are well aware of the issues and it's a known problem.  What I am struggling with is why hasn't either the carrier or the manufacturer addressed it?  I am also questioning - does this happen with every Samsung device when there's an updated OS?  Is it just Sprint who's network is unable to support Samsung's OS'?  I am at the point to where my cell has to live on the charger all the time and am constantly in meetings or on a call and cell just shuts off and at this point won't boot up again unless it's connected to the charger.  I'm forced to upgrade just to have a functioning device, but my confidence in Samsung and Sprint has me considering another carrier and another manufacturer...dare I say it and reluctantly so...Apple!

Highlighted
Journeyman

I experienced all of the same problems with my E4GT.  It was incredibly frustrating!

I'm happy to report that my phone now works perfectly!  Here is what I did:

1. I bought a new battery

2. Remove SD card (if you have one)

3. Wipe the phone (erase everything)

4. I'm currently running the latest factory update that I got off the internet (FI27 rom)

I was a little hesitant to 'mess with' my phone but I didn't have any other options.  I'm about to wipe everything again and switch to Jelly Bean (FK23 I believe), easy to do, google 'qbking77'

5. Format your SD card and you can use it again

I was going out of my mind with this phone, but I'm happy to report that my battery holds up well and everything is working.  There are lots of YOUTUBE videos on how to 'adjust' your phone, it's easy and it works.  Go for it!

Journeyman

That's great, but I did all that too and mine still dies three times a day.  I'm going to call Samsung and see what they have to say about it, although my expectations are low.

Community News

Our Community is currently set to Read Only due the pandemic's affect on our staffing .
Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance please visit Sprint Chat