cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy S2 signal issues

Highlighted
Master

Re: Samsung Galaxy S2 signal issues

Different phones have different antenna designs and different reception. You cannot compare them side by side to determine if a particular phone is operating outside of its design (aka defective). I addition two phones side by side more often than not will be on different towers and different channels depending on the network congestion in the area.

The EVO 4G has one of the strongest radio and antenna profiles of any Sprint phone ever, so it will get better signal than most other Sprint phones just by that fact alone given identical circumstances.

Service and Repair stores usually have RF isolation boxes that can test the phones and determine if they are operating outside of the normal tolerances that the manufacturer designed the phone for. If the phone is testing fine during these tests then there is no fault with the phone itself, there are other circumstances that are affecting reception and performance.

Signal bars are also a terrible indicator of true signal. A much better indication is the RSSI or RSRP (the actual reception) that the phone is receiving from whatever tower it is connected to. On some devices you can access this info in the About screens, on most devices this info can only be access through hidden testing and engineering screens in the device for diagnostics. This is also where the information for which tower and channel the phone is connected to, which often will be different with two phones next to each other.

For the record, I never had any signal issues with my Galaxy S II that weren't confirmed network issues. Every time I had an issue, I researched it and found it was being caused by some network issue, congestion or other anomaly, not the phone itself.

Journeyman

For the record, I dont care why the phone has horrible reception, I just want it fixed and Sprint is REFUSING to resolve my problem!!!!!! And by the large number of complaints about this phone I am far from alone! Bottom line is I AM PAYING A PREMIUM FEE FOR A SERVICE I CAN RERELY USE! AND LOCKED INTO A 2 YEAR CONTRACT ON A DEFECTIVE SUBSTANDARD DEVICE!!! Like I and so many others have stated, I did NOT have this problem until I got this phone. My EVO didn't have this problem! My Sprint Blackberry Curve didn't have this problem, my Sprint Palm Treo didn't have this problem, My Sprint Nokia didn't have this problem, My Sprint Sanyo didn't have this problem. My daughters Sprint I Phone dosen't have this problem but the Samsung Galaxy S II that she had before it did. I only wish I had consulted her before buying this piece of junk!!  so guess what?...it IS this phone!!!!!

Journeyman

I have a SENA bluetooth motorcycle helmet headset and with my EVO 4G I could travel all the way to Oklahoma City from Arlington TX listening to I Heart Radio and NEVER lose signal even once!! I cannot go three blocks in a row with my Galaxy SII before I lose signal completely. It will not play more than a few seconds when I am moving no matter where I am at with the Galaxy SII, NEVER EVER lost signal with my EVO. for that reason alone I plan to reactivate my old EVO and put my Galaxy SII in a drawer WHILE STILL PAYING FOR IT until my contract is up IN 2 MORE YEARS, and then dump Sprint for good and go to ATT or another carrier.

Journeyman

i have had similar issues with my s2 purchased in july. phone hasn't worked right since i bought it. my husband bought the same one (in black, mine is white), and lucky for him, his seems to be fine. i have had numerous arguments with customer service, repaur stores, and corporate about the phone being defective, and no one is willing to help me, not even samsung! all sprint wants to do is send me a rfurbished phone, and the same one! i am so over this phone already, and i feel the same as you....i pay for something that doesnt work! sprint even sent me an airwave device, free of charge, and nothing. my phone either doesnt send or receive texts, doesnt receive phone calls, sometimes i can send texts but i dont get them back, and the same with phone calls!!! its exhausting!! i'm ready to report them and go to the local media here in philly to get some results....sad because i have been with sprint for over 10 years....its obvious from all the posts in this forum that the phone is a problem for alot of people. i guess my husband was one of the lucky ones!

Journeyman

the towers always being out is a bs lie!!!!! and i dont fall for it anymore......... wish i could cancel and go somewhere else but im stuck in a 2 yr contract that was just renewed in july.

Journeyman

I did eventually get some satisfaction.. they have also sent me the booster, and after a bit of playing with the long cord, placing it in a good position in a window I now usually get 3-4 bars at home, However when out and about I'm still having some issues. They did offer a refurbished phone, but I don't want anothers issues so when I said I wanted a different model, they said the policy is they have to offer the refurbished phone, have it returned and after the THIRD replacement didn't work, they would then see what they could offer in way of another model.  Right now I'm going to give it a month and see if I stay stable at home and in places there is service and see where I go from there. Other than the signal issue, I love this model when it works right.Good luck.

Journeyman

It is a fair comparison to sit a phone beside another phone and do the same things on it. I have an evo that works very well. I bought an SII for Chirstmas last year. I kept the evo as a replacement for my home phone. The SII is a piece of junk, It worked well for about a week, Since then here are the problems I have had.

The SII is in raming more than not. The evo is never in roaming.

The SII usually times out on websites. The evo is very quick to load sites.

4g is non existent on the SII. It is non existent on the evo as well. I just threw this one in so i could say that two years later, Sprint is still saying there is 4g service at my house and it is not there.

The SII reboots at least 4 times a day for no reason. The evo has been up for more that 6 months.

The SII takes two to three times as long to download files from the internet.

The SII takes forever to get a sat lock on the GPS. The evo GPS is flawless.

The SII WIFI range seems to be about 40 feet. Using the evo I can walk to several hundred feet before losing signal from my home network.

The good: The SII is very fast. The SII runs every app I throw at it. The SII has a lot more memory than the evo.

Unfortunately, the SII is now my home phone and the evo is the phone I carry. I cannot afford to replace the phone and I cannot afford to pay the ETF to move to a different carrier. Quite frankly, I do not want to move. I just want a working phone.

Here is what I did when I started having problems.

I took took the phone in as soon as I had problems. I told the guy in the store about the roaming and the slow data.

He took my phone and went to a website and pulled it up. He then told me the phone had a strong signal and data was as fast as expected.

I left thinking that I would try some more.

The phone just got worse and worse so I put it beside my evo and was amazed to see the difference.

I took it back in and talked to a different person.

He put it through the normaly testing that they all do. (Rebooted the phone andpulled up google.com) This is the only testing that I have been able to get anyone to do.

He said it was working perfectly. I was prepared.

I pulled out my evo and put them side by side and pulled up 4 different pages. On two of them the SII recieved and error and on the the evo they all loaded in a fraction of the time of the SII loading the two that it would.

He said that the SII was not being sold as a better phone than the 2 year old evo. Really!!!!

He then told me that there was nothing he could do to help me.

I told him that I just wanted to turn the phone in and get a different one. Miraculously we were two days past the deadline to do so without paying. I told him that I had brought the phone in during the return window and been told that there was nothing wrong with it. He said "Guess you should have returned it then." I wish I was exagerating about that but that is what he said. He told me that the only thing they could do was replace it with a refurb if I could show it failing.

I left mad.

I then determined to return every time I could get by the store until someone listened or the phone failed in front of them.

On the next trip as I was leaving the store I noticed the signal drop. I went back in and the signal was great. I showed this to the guy in the store and he told me that it must be some kind of interfence. What!!!! He said it still did not point to a bad phone. I agree, It points to the store using a device to make their phones work better in the store.

I have an AirRave at home which is the only thing they have done for me and at home I get a signal. Everything else is still bad but I get a cell signal at home making this an expensive home phone. I have to assume that they have one in the stores too.

Anyway, I left the store after the fifth or sixth time with the attitude that no one is going to help me and I put the SII in the place of my home phone and now I use the evo. Now I have accepted the OTA thinking it cannot make this phone any worse. I was wrong.

By the way, the problem is not ICS. I have ICS on two other devices and I have a nephew with ICS on his AT&T SII and he does not have the problems that I now have because of the update. He does have the problems that I started with. No signal or bad signal in most areas and constant roaming. Or at least he did. AT&T just switched his phone to a different model due to those problems. I wish Sprint valued its customers this much.

Journeyman

Hello All,
I have had exactly the same problems with my Samsung Galaxy S2. I upgraded from LG phone 3 weeks ago and ever since have had roaming errors or no connection at all. I contacted customer service 4 times and each time was told it is a network issue they are working on (mind you, this all happened in the last 3 weeks, so it is a long network issue) and then was told it is due to Sandy (because I live in New York). I am so happy to see that I am not crazy for becoming impatient with this service and that others have exactly the same problem. Why isn't sprint just honest and refund us extra data charges until it is fixed.

Journeyman

Couldn't have said it better Eugenious. Whenever I call Sprint, (which has been constantly for the past SIX months or so), I always get the same crap about "there are no service issues in your area". Even funnier, is how my call will drop WHILE talking to customer service. My phone cuts off whenever I get near my house when the map says there a Sprint tower there. How sucky is that? I can sit right next to someone and watch them call my phone, and my phone will either sit silent while we listen to it ring from their device, or go to vm right away. I've missed a lot of important calls because of this. My texts come hours late if at all sometimes. I used to vouch for Sprint when everyone else kicked them in the butt. But this past six months has really overshadowed the past 5 years. Customer service has gone down as well. They don't even try to compensate you anymore for the terrible call quality. I should get my Verizon phone tomorrow. If it checks out and the service is great, Sprint will be no more to me.

Journeyman

Anything related to "Superstorm" Sandy will likely be treated as an "Act of God" and therefore Sprint is not liable to refund or do anything about it except apologize.  Same as most other insurance policies.

mjwdj1972 wrote:

Hello All,
I have had exactly the same problems with my Samsung Galaxy S2. I upgraded from LG phone 3 weeks ago and ever since have had roaming errors or no connection at all. I contacted customer service 4 times and each time was told it is a network issue they are working on (mind you, this all happened in the last 3 weeks, so it is a long network issue) and then was told it is due to Sandy (because I live in New York). I am so happy to see that I am not crazy for becoming impatient with this service and that others have exactly the same problem. Why isn't sprint just honest and refund us extra data charges until it is fixed.

Journeyman

I have been a loyal customer for over 13 years. And because of the piss poor coverage that has plagued the area for months on end, I too am planning to switch providers when my contract expires this summer. It took two months of calling on the issue for them to even declare that the problem was rooted to the 4g lte tower upgrades. Damn 4g lte if in order to achieve it I have to experience months of dropped calls, no internet access, email failure notifications, and a slew of other degenerative services. And that's not to mention that I purchased an Galaxy S2 that worked fine until sprint sent out a system update with the dreaded ice cream sandwich software, that utterly ruined my phone in every way possible. And sprints only answer to that problem is send me a new S2 with the same damn ICS update, possessing identical issues. Found in its last two predecessors. They ruined the phone and refused to offer me a comparable replacement, or an opportunity to pay for a.new phone at the upgrade rate as a courtesy to all the bull I've put up with dealing with this damn phone, and tower issues to top it off. I've always been pro sprint. Even when all my friends left, and I stayed. But for what, I ask myself. Shitty service, and an unmatched , disproportionate sum of loyalty that I've shown to them reciprocated from a provider that can demand my bill be satisfied monthly, but not command quality service and satisfaction from even their most loyal of customers. Sprint has truly shamed me.

Journeyman

Let me add my name to this list to the FCC. I'm on my second S2 and having the exact same problems. I can't upgrade until January, and have been having these problems for 6 months already. Sprint won't admit the phones are faulty, so now I carry around my brickPhone. I've been told my towers have been down for 6 months now, and I have the added "bonus" of the ghost touch issue (constant "Settings" menu popping up, due to hardware conflict with the antennae trying to find a signal). I called about a third replacement phone but they were going to charge me $100!! What? I didn't do anything to it - it's Sprint's low signal. I should have stuck with my EVO....

Community News

This is a PUBLIC ARCHIVE board, all artciles are read only.

Please click here to search the Active Community.