cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch randomly reboots and power/lock button does not function

Highlighted
Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy SII Epic 4G Touch randomly reboots and power/lock button does not function

I'm sorry if this has been answered somewhere else, I searched the foums and didn't find my problem exactly.

I have a Galaxy S II that is almost a year old. Just yesterday, my phone began randomly restarting. I don't think it's the battery because it's nearly fully charged. The phone restarted about 3 or 4 times by itself yesterday. Then later in the evening, the power/lock button just stopped working. I can't lock the screen, I can't hold it to restart the phone, nothing. So now what happens is the phone will be in an idle state, just sitting on my desk, and the screen will do its 30 second timeout and then a few seconds later it will turn back on and sit there with the screen on. If I try to click the power button while the screen is black, nothing happens (where it normally would turn back on to the lock screen). If I try to lock it when it's in an idle state, nothing happens either. Also, the only way to turn it off or reboot it is to remove the battery. Nothing changes when I remove and replace the battery. I've never had any sort of problem like this so I'm curious what's changed.

I was automatically upgraded to a new build (I think- the F127) just about 3 or 4 days ago, so I'm wondering if maybe there's a connection there. Other than that, maybe it's just a dying phone that I need to get replaced.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!

11 REPLIES 11
Highlighted
Journeyman

Also, I just found out that when the phone is plugged in and charging, the screen will go to black without the screen waking up again, unlike how the screen turns off and on repeatedly when the phone is unplugged. When it's charging, I can hit the volume button to wake it up again. Not sure if that helps diagnose this.

Highlighted
Sprint Employee

hello jad1007, sorry that you're having trouble. since you are able to powerup after removing battery I presume the power button is functional. If it is software related it will likely be corrected with a factory restore since this does not seem to be a widespread problem. before considering the reset you may want to backup any data that you can from the phone, it may also behoove you to have the phone checked in a Sprint Service & Repair center.

No longer working Community Response.
Highlighted
Journeyman

Strangely, when I place the battery back in the phone, even if it was out for hours, the phone turns on by itself. I cannot turn it back on myself with the power button.

I will take it to a store today to get it checked out. Thanks RC.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Jad1007,

About a week ago my phone started to do the same thing. I've done the factory reset, even taken it in to a store and they have been unable to fix the problem. I unfortunately have to take it back a third time and hope that they fix it this time. I don't know what else to do with it, it is getting to the point that it is highly annoying and Sprint Customer Care wouldn't do anything to help me, except set an appointment at a store for after the techinician had left for the day. I'm highly upset and will be contacting someone again if this issue is not resolved in today's visit.

***UPDATED***

I just wanted to let you all know that my problem was resolved today when I took the phone into the store and they couldn't fix it. They ended up having to swap the phone out for a different one. Since doing so , my battery discharge rate has improved and all functionality has been restored. I still have the Galaxy SII so I am ok with that. Just hope that the new one doesn't have the same issue.

Message was edited by: CHROMEDRAGON3 11/3

Highlighted
Journeyman

CHROMEDRAGON3, did you have to pay the $35 fee, or did Sprint take care of the problem at no cost since they (along with Samsung) are the ones who caused the problem in the first place?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I did not have to pay a dime. They replaced it at no cost because they were at fault.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Thanks, I took mine to a repair center yesterday because the problems are getting worse and worse.  Turns out the worse of my two fears was recognized.  It was a hardware failure of the power button, so I had to pay the replacement fee.  Still not a bad deal though.  I'd rather pay $35 every 13 months than pay the monthly insurance rate.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Update: My phone was wonky for a couple of days and almost completely unusable. The power button didn't work, the phone constantly reset, it wouldn't lock or unlock, etc. I still have no idea what happened, but a couple days after this began, my phone started working again. It must have been some sort of software glitch because everything is working fine right now. And my problem must not be like John588's, because my power button works like normal again.

Anyway, I'll be taking it into the Sprint store first thing if the problem starts happening again. Thanks for the tips everyone.

Highlighted
Journeyman

Same thing has been happening to me.

A few weeks ago, my Epic 4G Touch began resetting when I would use it, then come back and tell me the battery was almost dead, usually somewhere between 1% and 5% (even though it was not close to dead before, usually at around 60-80%).  I'd plug it in and then it would tell me there was more battery, maybe somewhere in the 20s or 30s.  I ended up getting a new, bigger battery off of Amazon and everything's been fine since.

Until yesterday.  My phone's screen would keep turning on when left idle on the table.  No texts or e-mails or anything was making it turn on.  Then I tried to hit the power button to make it turn off before the usual timeout and it wouldn't work.  When the screen is off, the power button also doesn't turn it on.

I've tried taking the battery out, waiting a while, then putting it back in... The phone turns on by itself as I'm not able to turn it on or off.

My guess is that it's not a software issue and instead a problem with the power button being stuck.

If it's still a problem this weekend, I'll take it to the Sprint Store or Best Buy.

Highlighted
Journeyman

The same thing is happening to me also. The power button is completely unresponsive and I can only turn on the phone either by removing and reinserting the battery or plugging in or unplugging the charger. Otherwise, it also turns on and off by itself sometimes...

I tried taking it to a Sprint repair store, but because my screen was cracked from way back when, they say that they can't touch it. I don't even care about the screen getting fixed, as it was still working perfectly after I cracked it. But now with the power button not functioning, I can't really use the phone.

Is there anyway to get Sprint to help?

Highlighted
Journeyman

I had a very similar problem.   My phone was randomly rebooting a few times per week and I couldn't figure out why. It got worse, and eventually was rebooting several times every day. I then noticed that even brushing against the power button would wake the screen, and about 10 seconds later the phone would reboot. I took the phone apart and cleaned the switch with some 90% rubbing alcohol, and it worked better for a while. Eventually I found and installed a new power switch. I bought mine from China (it took a MONTH to get here), but now you can find them on eBay.

Long story short, I bought a replacement power switch, soldered it in place, and have had zero problems since!

Several eBay sellers offer the switch you'll need: epic touch power switch | eBay

(But, they can't give you the skills you'll need to properly desolder/solder the switch, however. It's tiny - about 4mm x 2mm x 1.5mm, and you'll need a good quality fine-tipped soldering iron, a magnifying glass, and a steady hand.)

UPDATE: Several sellers now offer mail-in repair service. Great if you're not awesome with a soldering iron:

Sprint Epic 4G Touch Fix Power Switch Samsung Galaxy S2 Replace Button Service | eBay

Power Button Repair Samsung Galaxy s Galaxy s II Galaxy Note More | eBay

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat