cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Galaxy s2 issues with battery and keeps crashing. Please Help!

Journeyman

Samsung Galaxy s2 issues with battery and keeps crashing. Please Help!

Ok, so I used to have a crappy Evo and bought a galaxy s2 online b/c with my evo sprint basically said I was screwed. Anyways I get my phone and the battery doesn't seem to be lasting at all. Its constantly crashing. When I turn it back on my phone is dead and it has to go back on the charger. It can handle doing alot at all. I can call someone when it's fully charged talk for 10 minutes the damn thing dies. Sometimes during a text as I'm typing the keys the words stop showing in message and sometimes the drop down menu freezs. Also, there are times that the bottom keys(home,back,etc.) freeze up too oh and my roaming pops randomly too. I have been reading some forums about the ICS software not being as good as GB. So are these problems linked to ICS should I uninstall it?

21 REPLIES
Journeyman

Re: Samsung Galaxy s2 issues with battery and keeps crashing. Please Help!

Yes, some of us have experienced ICS issues.  However, if you bought your phone a second party it's hard to say if all issues are ICS related or someone just wanted to dump a phone they abused.  If you purchased it from Sprint or other retailer I"d return or exchange it. 

If you look around the board here you'll see some solutions that people found helpful to them.  It takes some digging to find helpful posts, but they do exist. 

Journeyman

I am having the exact same issues!

Journeyman

i have the same exact phone which i got about two weeks ago. As soon as i got it i updated to ICS and my only complain is the Battery life. I charge it all night and by the time i start to use it in the morning my battery will be half dead by mid day.

As for the crashing thing i havent experience this unless im using Google Chrome as my broswer but i think it has to do with the app. I have noticed that it does freeze sometimes but it usually goes back to normal in a few seconds. i suggest you try to replace the phone since you recently got it. im sure you can exchange it for the the same kind of phone.

Good Luck

Journeyman

I'm having the same issue as well. It's only started within the last week or so though, so I can't directly blame ICS. What I do know is that my phone will freeze to the point where I have to pull the battery. On reboot, I'll be down to something like 7% battery, even though I was just up in the 80's or 90's before the freeze. I'm also noting that something is keeping the kernel awake so the phone can't go to sleep.

As usual, now I need to go through and start removing apps to see if any of them are the cause.

Hey Sprint, here is an idea - how about offering the option for an OS update when one comes down? Some of us don't whine and moan for a new OS because our phones are running just fine. You force an OS upgrade to everyone because of the vocal minority, and now we all have battery issues. This isn't iOS where you control the hardware - blanket updates don't work. Please stop making OS upgrades manditory!

Journeyman

Good morning Ericbeeson,Misael209x, Andreamabbott, Skypiratepally

Here is some helpful information that will help with the battery life: 1)removing any unused applications 2)using the auto brightness feature 3)turn off gps,bluetooth and hotspot when you are not using it4) maunually sync emails. If these tips still don't help I would recommen to take the device to a service center to get tested. here is alink to find oe close to you: www.sprint.com/storelocator. *Paida

Journeyman

Thanks for the quick response, though I think I've found the culprit. It appears my battery is going bad. I've had the phone for around a year, so this seems a bit premature, but I took the battery out and placed it on a table and it spun. You can also see a slight bulge on the battery's back. I found a battery on Amazon where someone posted a review and he mentioned the exact issues I'm having-

• Random freezes
  • Battery showing incorrect levels
  • Heat issues

Apparently, the batteries aer only good for a certain number of charges - if you plug your phone in when it is at 75%, you're essentially killing your battery a little more.

Hopefully, the new battery will resolve some of my issues - though I'll be a little more judicious about my charging.

Highlighted
Journeyman

I'm on ICS 4.0.4 FI27. Good news, long story short, I went to Settings-->Accounts & Sync then removed entries for Facebook and Twitter and this fixed most of my battery drain problems, seriously. And like many others my GPS sensor goes off the rails at times and won't detect sats, and that puts my E4GT into a power tailspin. So the first and easiest thing to do is to disable GPS from the notific'n panel. Then later at night, I'll either pull the battery and restart which seems to set GPS straight, or because every few months that doesn't even work, I use the "GPS Status and Toolbox" app's Manage A-GPS State tool to clear the GPS cache, pull the battery, restart and its fine. This can be alot of workaround stuff but at least you won't anymore hate the phone you loved so much and makes the wait for Jellybean more tolerable.

Journeyman

I have similar issues.

Problems started sometime in December, and now the battery doesn't last more than 3 to 4 minutes. But shows more than 70% battery full.

- Doesn't last for 3 to 4 minutes, with battery. Gets turned off.

- I see a bulge in the battery.

- Gets heated up some times.

- Have to plug it all the time to use it.

Time for a new bettery. Hmm.

Journeyman

I had the same problem over the weekend and went into a store.  The tech guy said it was a common problem and he had seen 3 swollen batteries just that day.  He found a spare and said it should last until my upgrade eligibility in August.  Gotta say, I'm disappointed not to see a response about that here.  Apparently the batteries for this phone are notoriously bad.