cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Samsung Nexus - Sprint snub? I don't care -> Epic 4G Touch is enough / and ICS discussion

Highlighted
Wizard

Samsung Nexus - Sprint snub? I don't care -> Epic 4G Touch is enough / and ICS discussion

For everyone that didn't see, Ice Cream Sandwich and the Samsung Nexus were announced last night from Hong Kong by Google.  The rumors heavily point to Sprint not receiving it (at least at first) and I'll be honest, I don't really care too much.  From all the specs that were announced, our Epic 4G Touches are lacking only in the NFC part and the screen resolution.  I really, really, really would like to have NFC as Google Wallet is gaining traction (major oversight on Sprint's part) but could care less about that screen resolution. I also really like my physical buttons at the bottom of our screens and especially the search key.  I use that a ton.

The software, on the otherhand, looks very nice and as usual.....this release catches up to some modifications that the carriers/OEMs have already been making with camera tweaks, etc.  I do think that the overall performance and UI tweaks for menus and such will benefit us as well, WHEN, not IF, ICS gets made by Samsung for the Epic 4G Touch.  I don't see this happening before Christmas, but I could be wrong.  Maybe since Samsung was so integral to the design of the hardware, they have good information on how to get this on the SGSII quickly.  We will see.  I rooting for sooner, but know their track records.

Overall, I am satisfied with my Epic 4G Touch purchase for the forseeable future (at least for the next 12 months). [I haven't had the LOS very much....1 time]

Anyone else have any thoughts?  It'd be nice to have a thread on here that isn't a rant about something not working 100%

ICS video:

5 REPLIES 5
Journeyman

While the Epic 4G Touch SHOULD get 4.0 I am not counting on it. To be honest I do not expect it for a full 6 months after release. I plan on keeping the phone one full year and then going with the then laterst and greatest be it Android or iPhone5. Honestly I do not expect to receive 4.0 by then.

Journeyman

I, too, find the lack of the four capacitive buttons weird in ICS (thought I don't use the search button all that much).  I'm also not to fond of all the screen shots that show semi transparency in some kind of overlay arrangement - it just looks messy.  But I love the color and style of the new status bar icons and the Roboto font.  And the new gallery looks really nice. OH and you can do screen shots by holding down power and volumn down!  Yay for that!  All in all, if ICS comes to the Epic Touch, I'll look forward to using it, but honestly, I don't think we'll see it for 6 months at least.

Wizard

sperington wrote:

OH and you can do screen shots by holding down power and volumn down!  Yay for that! 

Unless you were being sarcastic, can't tell here....we can currently do that with our phones.  Hold home key and power button for screen shot.

6 months might be realistic.  I am hopeful that it will be sooner than that.  I do like my phone just the way she is now, however, so I don't mind the wait.  They can already do so much....and now that I'm back to my Evo4G capacity with second battery and car dock, I'm right as rain.

Journeyman

Oh my goodness! I did not know about that. I had thought I had read sufficient documentation, but apparently not! Thanks.  Reviews of ICS mention this feature as if it were new....hmmm.

Wizard

That's what I mean about OEM and Carriers adding features to Android phones with skins like TouchWiz (on this phone) that enhance features....then Google makes them standard features sometime in the next releases.  Most other Android phones do NOT have this feature yet.

Community News

Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agents
Sprint S.M.A.R.T Agent are here to help Monday through Friday 6:00 AM CT - 6:00 PM CT. If you need to speak to an agent outside of these hours, please visit Sprint Chat