cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Self-destruct without a signal

Highlighted
Journeyman

Self-destruct without a signal

As usual, GPS and cell died while hiking last weekend.  I plugged the phone into a charger at home and it remained hot with no signal until I rebooted.  It turns out that this is easy to reproduce.  Wrap up the phone in two layers of aluminum foil like a burrito, let it sit for a while, then take it out.  It continues to malfunction after being unwrapped - no service or roaming without data.  I also noticed that it periodically jammed 5GHz WiFi while wrapped up.  The phone's WiFi was turned off so it shouldn't have been on that frequency.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Wizard

Re: Self-destruct without a signal

Thanks for reaching out to us. Sorry that you're having issues with your phone. Have you taken your phone into one of our authorized Sprint service and repair centers, to have a technician look into this issue for you? To locate the nearest service and repair center, please visit http://www.sprintstorelocator.com/locator/?INTNAV=ATG:HE:Store.

Morris L.

Sprint Social Media Care

Highlighted
Journeyman

Re: Self-destruct without a signal

Sprint stores won't repair it because I refuse to pay extra repair fees for a phone that is defective under warranty.  I sent it to Samsung for warranty repairs three times without any improvement.  The last time it came back from Samsung it had a firmware update that disabled GPS and caused the cell signal to flicker on and off.  I attempted to get a refund from a Sprint store but they were able to restore the factory firmware.

GPS and cell reception has never worked reliably.  GPS occasionally works in an open area after restarting.  Cell reception is weak - it doesn't work where Sprint's coverage maps say it should.  Driving through or hiking in areas with no coverage causes the phone to become warm and malfunction.

Community News

Our Community is BACK!!
Hours of Operations are 7AM - 8PM CST. Please try Searching the Community, we have many questions already answered, you can also check out the Knowledge base
If you need immediate assistance after hours please visit Sprint Chat